• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free legal advise?

Krischaser

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Anyone know a simple site where my friend can get legal advice on a question she has? Thanks :)

There's probably a legal aid society where she lives. She should start there.

If it's a relatively simple question, try Avvo. It's a message board with attorneys answering questions. I've used it a few times and had my questions answered very quickly.

Free legal advice is usually worth what you pay for it. There are some exceptions in cases of pro bono legal services and public defenders offices but message boards etc are virtually worthless

Free legal advice is usually worth what you pay for it. There are some exceptions in cases of pro bono legal services and public defenders offices but message boards etc are virtually worthless
I agree. If it's anything even remotely serious she need to seek out advice, in person, from a lawyer who is familiar with the laws and judicial system in her area.

Anyone can pretend to be a lawyer on an internet forum.

If it is just a simple question, I would try Avvo. You do have to be a lawyer to register with them so no fear of the person responding not being a real lawyer. It is not just a message board. I am a lawyer, and I have an account with Avvo.

With that being said, if it is a serious matter, she should definitely schedule an appointment with an attorney in her area with experience in whatever the matter invovles to discuss her issue. If she doesn't know any attorneys experienced in that area, Avvo is also a good place to find attorneys with experience in whatever area she is looking for advice.

Many attorneys offer a short (1/2 hour to hour) consultation for free in the hopes of gaining your business. If she does not have access to legal aid it might be her best bet. It's pretty difficult for anyone to give a good fact pattern over an internet message board... and that's really the key to receiving good advice.

And if it's a serious matter, she should definitely not seek help on an internet forum - she should not put any information about the case on the internet, even "anonymously."

As someone who actually works in law, I would definitely not seek free legal advice online. There are many legal services available through legal aid or other legal assist programs that have actual attorneys offering pro-bono advice. As I don't know what area of the law your friend needs assistance in, I wouldn't know where to direct her more specifically.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter