Free internet for DVC members

Hey Jim,

that is a great idea. do you have any experience in doing that? Is it easy to hook up? I haven't used Disney internet yet, but most of the hotels i've stayed at require a sort of log in page thru IE, and I am unsure how you would negotiate that with a router.:confused3
I have not personally, but I've seen a number of posts to this effect here. I don't think it's a big deal, but I don't know the technical specifics. Hopefully, someone more technically proficient than I can explain it more thoroughly.

The Linksys Wireless G-Travel Router Model #WTR54GS is both a wired and wireless router which will allow you to have a single wired connection while having multiple wireless connections simultaneously. It is secure and is virtually transparent while in use. With the router pre-configures, which is quite simple via the instructions, any computer logged into the router can establish the connection to the internet. Then multiple computers logged into the router can have simultaneous internet access for brousing and e-mail.

It is truly quite slick, quite secure and quite simple to set up. I highly recommend this particular router for this use.

The Linksys Wireless G-Travel Router Model #WTR54GS is both a wired and wireless router which will allow you to have a single wired connection while having multiple wireless connections simultaneously. It is secure and is virtually transparent while in use. With the router pre-configures, which is quite simple via the instructions, any computer logged into the router can establish the connection to the internet. Then multiple computers logged into the router can have simultaneous internet access for brousing and e-mail.

It is truly quite slick, quite secure and quite simple to set up. I highly recommend this particular router for this use.
What he said.

See how easy that was?

There's got to be a skunk at every garden party...that's me here & now...

We've used a router to allow up to 3 laptops to get on via high-speed internet and it worked great a year ago. This past year, we used the router again (which works perfectly at home) to hook up two laptops...we got dumped off after about 5-6 minutes every single time.

My DS, the "computer genius" (actually, he's "merely computer competent," which tells you what an ignoramus I am!) says it likely was something in the Disney system preventing multiple computers to access on just one internet access "purchase"--

Maybe they'll remove the "barrier" once internet access is free next month?

But the router did not work for us last month...It worked perfectly at home prior to going to Disney, and is working perfectly again now that we're back...DS tried all sorts of different configurations, and nothing prevented the internet "dump" after about 5-6 minutes...

So we wound up hooking up his laptop to the intenet via the cable, and I just used dial-up...

Sorry!

This is great news...! Being as we have a business here at home...we have to be able to at least have email available while we are at Disney. We certainly don't spend hours at a computer but we still check our email about 3times per day.

Just another great DVC perk for us...how delightful!

Esmerelda

I am thrilled! I've been hoping for free internet since we joined :cool1:

Rob, if I'm not mistaken, there is already wireless available in the lobby of Vero Beach. So, maybe those with OVIR ressies will have access to WIFI!

You are right... I go to the lobby to do my work, but I would really like to do this in my room. Don't get me wrong.... I want to escape from my work, but I need to know what is going on to be able to relax.

I know that starbox got a wireless connection from her room at VB, but I think she was right above the antenna..... I would like for VB to extend wireless to all the rooms... Free of charge. Sounds like the WDW resorts will offer free Internet, but I haven't yet heard about HHI or VB. Maybe the lower maintenance fees are coming back to bite some.

Really, I just wish all DVC was with the program...

Just me...

There's got to be a skunk at every garden party...that's me here & now...

We've used a router to allow up to 3 laptops to get on via high-speed internet and it worked great a year ago. This past year, we used the router again (which works perfectly at home) to hook up two laptops...we got dumped off after about 5-6 minutes every single time.

My DS, the "computer genius" (actually, he's "merely computer competent," which tells you what an ignoramus I am!) says it likely was something in the Disney system preventing multiple computers to access on just one internet access "purchase"--

Maybe they'll remove the "barrier" once internet access is free next month?

But the router did not work for us last month...It worked perfectly at home prior to going to Disney, and is working perfectly again now that we're back...DS tried all sorts of different configurations, and nothing prevented the internet "dump" after about 5-6 minutes...

So we wound up hooking up his laptop to the intenet via the cable, and I just used dial-up...

Sorry!

I was told last week by the company that supplies the Disney World Resorts their internet access that we are allowed to connect more then one computer to the LAN. The hitch is that they can not be connected at the same time. The connection does time out if you do not refresh the web page. I was working on a very long email with several attachments and before I could send it, I got logged off. :sad2:

Hooray!!!!! I'm so excited. We used to pay the connection fee for the day before check-out so we could check-in to SouthWest. Now it'll be free!!! :)

I was told last week by the company that supplies the Disney World Resorts their internet access that we are allowed to connect more then one computer to the LAN. The hitch is that they can not be connected at the same time. The connection does time out if you do not refresh the web page. I was working on a very long email with several attachments and before I could send it, I got logged off. :sad2:

Well what good is that? Is that only for wireless ? I wonder if that also goes for mulitple ethernet connections? Hopefully with this new change, they will allow multiple access.

Well what good is that? Is that only for wireless ? I wonder if that also goes for mulitple ethernet connections? Hopefully with this new change, they will allow multiple access.

This is for the hard wired connection. Let me explain. The connection rental is per line, not per computer for a hard wired connection. I can connect my work computer and do my business. Then my DW can connect her computer and we are only charged the $9.95 for 24 hours. On the WiFi you are charged per machine connection. If I connect I get charged. I use it for five minutes @ $9.95. My DW connects via WiFi and she is also charged $9.95.

In our 1 BR at SSR, there was an outlet in the desk in the master BR. I didn't have my laptop along though so can't attest to it working.
That's what we found at SSR too. We called to check because I did not want to be sitting at the desk on my computer. I'll used to wireless access and I wanted to be able to at least DIS in the living room, sitting on the couch.

This is for the hard wired connection. Let me explain. The connection rental is per line, not per computer for a hard wired connection. I can connect my work computer and do my business. Then my DW can connect her computer and we are only charged the $9.95 for 24 hours. On the WiFi you are charged per machine connection. If I connect I get charged. I use it for five minutes @ $9.95. My DW connects via WiFi and she is also charged $9.95.

Ok, I understand this from a paid perspective. But now that it is free, shouldn't we be able to use the wireless router(since it is only hooked up to one drop)? I don't see how they would be able to know how many were on at the same time if you bring in your own router. Its still one hard wired connection. Now if you were using THEIR router, I could see how they could monitor that.

Thanks, I am going to purchase one and try it out. We will have 3 laptops on my trip in April at BWV so hopefully any changes if any will happen by then. I hope others post if they try this after January to see how it is working. Thanks again! :goodvibes

Ok, I understand this from a paid perspective. But now that it is free, shouldn't we be able to use the wireless router(since it is only hooked up to one drop)? I don't see how they would be able to know how many were on at the same time if you bring in your own router. Its still one hard wired connection. Now if you were using THEIR router, I could see how they could monitor that.

Every Computer has its own ESN (Electronic Serial Number), your computer sends this out every time you login to the Internet, I don't know how often a computer sends this but, they could tell if two different ESNs are using it at the same time and then kick you off. Sorry my nerd side is showing

Every Computer has its own ESN (Electronic Serial Number), your computer sends this out every time you login to the Internet, I don't know how often a computer sends this but, they could tell if two different ESNs are using it at the same time and then kick you off. Sorry my nerd side is showing

Well this sorta gets beyond my expertise :-)goodvibes ), however maybe someone else can chime in on how this is detected? Still having a hard time understanding this if your already logged in with the wireless router so to speak. There is no logging on, just connecting to the wireless router.

Well this sorta gets beyond my expertise :-)goodvibes ), however maybe someone else can chime in on how this is detected? Still having a hard time understanding this if your already logged in with the wireless router so to speak. There is no logging on, just connecting to the wireless router.

I'm going to try to simplify it down to make it make some sense.

Think of the ESN like a license plate on your car, and the router like a gate guard to a gated community (or WDW resort, if you'd prefer).

The gate guard will let pretty much anyone LEAVE (ie: sends all traffic out to the larger network) but watches the traffic and will only let IN the traffic with the right license plate numbers (ESN's) that are on it's "list". Oh, and every time a car leaves, the gate guard plunks a big old sticker on your windshield. That helps the old guy to make sure he can flag you down when you whiz by him, so you don't take a wrong turn.

Now, to make it more complex, there is ANOTHER gate guard (probably more than one) that controls traffic into and out of Dinsney's overall "neighborhood" (ie network). THAT gateguard is watching both your license plate AND the sticker on your windshield. That way it knows exactly where you belong so it can better route traffic to the right place. By looking at those license plates and stickers, it can tell just how many licesnse plates belong to any stickers. It's POSSIBLE that it could be configured to only allow ONE license plate per sticker OR that if it sees stickers of the wrong color, shape, or size at all (in other words, routers not specifically allowed to access it's network), it could not let you leave/return.

That's vastly oversimplified, but it's a relatively clear picture on how Disney can monitor router traffic coming through it's network.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter