Free haircuts for kids at JCP

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
I just saw an ad on TV that said free haircuts for kids during August at JC Penney.

I hope that helps my Disney loving friends.

We went yesterday! Sort of on a whim - we were walking by JCP, and I remembered the commercial. Sure enough, they had a big sign for free kid's haircuts. We walked right in (no appt), and 10 minutes later we walked out with a nice trim. Only cost me $5.00 tip (but obviously you can tip whatever you want). Did not have to buy anything else.

Enjoy!

I love our local JCP salon. I made an appointment for my boys to go when I have my regular color/cut appointment...:-)

I just want to bump this up again. We went last week (actually my mom took them while I ran some errands). I was so happy with their haircuts. I have two curly headed girls, the stylists we used to used moved and I just can't justify going that far away. They also did my mom hair for $15. When my mom asked for a card for me (I've been salon hopping.) The woman gave her a referral card to give me a free haircut.

Based on some of the photos posted by parents on JCP's facebook wall, it looks like there are more butchers working at the Penney's hair salon than at the local meat market.

I'll pass on this one.

I thought about taking DS but last year DH bought a good trimmer. It came with directions for a few basic boy cuts so I tried it out with DS and now I cut his hair myself. More for Disney fund.

I thought about taking DS but last year DH bought a good trimmer. It came with directions for a few basic boy cuts so I tried it out with DS and now I cut his hair myself. More for Disney fund.

I cut my 3 sons hair too. They like it short and I had trouble getting appointment when they needed them. I paid under $30 for our trimmers and the money I saved on the first 3 haircuts paid for them. They are getting a bit dull 3 years later.

My daughter got hers last week. Walked right in and they cut it exactly how she wanted it.

My hubby usually cuts our youngest son's hair, but our daughter took him for Penny's for the free cut. She said it was easy, pleasant and he looks great!

Two of my sisters are stylists at Penney's. They are less than thrilled that this promotion is lasting the entire month. They are given 15 minutes/client to cut and clean up, which is about half as long as they normally have. Each stylist averages 12 - 15 free haircuts a day. They told me today that only ~ 25% of the customers are tipping :scared: and they have had SEVERAL cases of lice :sad2:. Yesterday a mom brought in her six kids for free haircuts and they ALL had lice :crazy2:. They are happy to help the community, but I think an entire month is a bit long to run the promotion.

Two of my sisters are stylists at Penney's. They are less than thrilled that this promotion is lasting the entire month. They are given 15 minutes/client to cut and clean up, which is about half as long as they normally have. Each stylist averages 12 - 15 free haircuts a day. They told me today that only ~ 25% of the customers are tipping :scared: and they have had SEVERAL cases of lice :sad2:. Yesterday a mom brought in her six kids for free haircuts and they ALL had lice :crazy2:. They are happy to help the community, but I think an entire month is a bit long to run the promotion.

The majority of the stylists in the JCP where I work are not getting tips on the free kids hair cuts :(. I agree, a month is too long.

That's awful, but not surprising, that people aren't tipping. We took our three kids yesterday and tipped $5 for each of them (so $15 total). We still saved $35 on what we normally pay to get their hair cut. Very happy with the job that was done. I felt awful for the stylist. She was all alone in the salon. No one to help with the front desk or the phone. She was running back and forth like a maniac. Looking back on it, we should have tipped more. It was my first time going there, but I'd go back and request the same stylist.

Just the thought of lice gives me the shivers. My oldest went to her first sleepover a few years ago and came back with some stowaways. Getting rid of them is a nightmare. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

JCP declines any customer that has lice, so zero of the 6 kids the woman brought in were given a hair cut. Plus, really??? Could we get a bigger stereotype than a woman with 6 lice-ridden kids???

The stylists are being paid VERY WELL per hour, so even if they didn't get a tip, they'd still be ok. Not sure where your 2 sisters work, but our salon has had ZERO incidents of lice. The people taking advantage of this are regular people looking to save some $$$, not back-water hillbillies with dirty kids. Our stylists have had huge rebooking numbers, may of the moms are booking appointments for themselves. I think the people taking advantage of this are just good folks like the ones on this budget board....plus our stylists have had about 90-95% tipping rates going. Yes, it is true that they have 15 minutes to do this, but these are hair cuts, not blow-dry/styles...this is a great thing for people and it is costing jcp a fortune to undertake. Since the average productivity of the typical jcp stylist is $28 an hour and the industry average is $55, the stylists should be happy to have the chance to advertise their services, but stylists have never been known to go with the flow or accept change.

Took one of my sons yesterday. Stylistdid a great job, I'll probably take him back to her. Plusgot some great deals on tshirts ($3 and $5). Shame on anyone not tipping! :(

chigirl said:
JCP declines any customer that has lice, so zero of the 6 kids the woman brought in were given a hair cut. Plus, really??? Could we get a bigger stereotype than a woman with 6 lice-ridden kids???

The stylists are being paid VERY WELL per hour, so even if they didn't get a tip, they'd still be ok. Not sure where your 2 sisters work, but our salon has had ZERO incidents of lice. The people taking advantage of this are regular people looking to save some $$$, not back-water hillbillies with dirty kids. Our stylists have had huge rebooking numbers, may of the moms are booking appointments for themselves. I think the people taking advantage of this are just good folks like the ones on this budget board....plus our stylists have had about 90-95% tipping rates going. Yes, it is true that they have 15 minutes to do this, but these are hair cuts, not blow-dry/styles...this is a great thing for people and it is costing jcp a fortune to undertake. Since the average productivity of the typical jcp stylist is $28 an hour and the industry average is $55, the stylists should be happy to have the chance to advertise their services, but stylists have never been known to go with the flow or accept change.

Perhaps there is a difference from your store to where her sisters work, as in city and the location of the store. We have 2 JcP's in town. One it would totally not surprise me to hear of people bringing their kids with lice and not tipping. The other, you'd be hard pressed to find lice and the tipping rate would be that of your store. I certainly wouldn't discount what her sisters are experiencing based solely on your store.

I plan to take DD in for a trim this week. She got a nice cut about 6 weeks ago but could use her ends trimmed. I'm thankful for JcP giving a break on the haircuts when back to school already costs so much!

My stylist and good friend who just left JC Penney to go out on her own said they do not get any hourly rate just 50% of ticket price. May be a regional thing but I doubt it!

Free haircuts mean no pay for the stylist! Also when you bring in a coupon for free waxing with hair cut etc. the stylists get nothing! This made me sad as I love coupons, but don't want to jip my girl out of her earnings!

I guess I would say please tip your stylist if you are happy with the H/C as these promos cost them a lot of money! Plus they are spending time on freebies when they could be taking paying clients.

:confused3

I am only relaying the information that my sisters have told me. Yes, a woman with 6 lice ridden children ::yes::. Of course they were asked to leave.

My sisters make OK $$, nothing over the top by any means. They are at a salon an hour north of Indy (Lafayette). There have been at least a few incidents of lice every day since the promotion began. I guess we have more "back-water hillbillies with dirty kids" in our little neck of the woods :confused3. So far not many rebookings for the stylists in their salon. I think your salon is pretty unusual with such a high % of tipping from the free haircuts,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter