Free DLR hotel upgrades?

lana772

Disneyland Lover
We have stayed many times at the DLR hotels and never received a free upgrade. We are very nice to the CMs, always smiling and happy. We always check in early, leave our bags with the bellman and have them text us when our room is ready. The closest we have ever come to anything "free" was getting into our room at 9 a.m. instead of 3 p.m. That almost felt like getting an extra day.

I have seen multiple post on here where guest got BIG upgrades for free.
I'm curious as to how many people actually get upgraded.

So... Have you ever been upgraded? What did you book and what did you get?

Tell us your upgrade story.

In December of 2011, we were named the Big Kahuna Family at PPH. We were already staying in a two-bedroom suite with a theme park view, so there was no upgrade there, BUT they did give us concierge for free (which was a nice savings for 4 nights) and they had small gifts waiting for each member of our party. BUT it wasn't random and we didn't ask. It was based on a letter talking about amazing CMs during a horrific stay (death of a young family member who was also my oldest daughter's best friend, my younger daughter got the sickest she has EVER been, and my now ex-husband sealed his fate that trip: it was a nightmare!). I mentioned CMs by name when i could, when i didn't know (the trip was sort of a blurry fog of bad events blending together), i gave as much information as i could. I sent the letter several places, including the manager at PPH. She called me and told me that in all her years working for DIsney, she had never seen such a well written praise letter, folks spend a lot of time complaining in writing, but often the praise letters are shorter. She was also amazed I had taken the time when I was in such a state of grief, but the CMs were just so nice and went above and beyond, I had to write. When she called I told her that we were so impressed, we were heading back to PPH for Christmas (something that had never occurred to me when i wrote the letter, i really thought it would be years before we got back) so we could have a do-over. She was thrilled to hear it, and I'm pretty sure that's when it was put in the system, because after that I called to look at something on the reservation and the CM started to say something about how special we were but then stopped (I later found out it said in the notes it was a surprise for the family) and said, "oh, never mind," when I tried to ask him more, lol).

I want to be clear, I didn't write the letter asking for anything and I didn't expect anything. I just wanted higher ups to know how incredible their staff was during a very difficult time for my family. I still tear up when I think of this one CM and the restaurant manager at PPH. Outstanding people!!!

On our very first family trip back in 2005 we were upgraded to a park view at the DLH which was magical for the kids first trip.

Then on our next family trip a few years later at the PPH we were upgraded to a Paradise Pier view, that view was so great in the evenings looking out over the pier... this was before WoC, but it was still a great view!

Since that time we have joined DVC, so while we have got great rooms through them (including a fab view of DCA from our 1 bedroom villa at the VGC this last trip) you do not generally get an upgrade when booking on DVC points.

I've always just sent a fax to the hotel room assigner and received whatever I asked for.

pennyring said:
I've always just sent a fax to the hotel room assigner and received whatever I asked for.

For free? :confused:
I didn't realize you could do that. I didn't even realize there was a room assigned fax number. Is it the same for all 3 DLR hotels? Or do they each have their own? What do you say?

I haven't had any upgrade experiences at Disneyland, but I work at a hotel so I hear a lot about this.
I don't know how it is at the DLH, but where I am any upgrades are based off of availability, rates at the time, management, and how the guest is treating the people at the front desk. Usually if they come up and demand a free upgrade, or a free room they'll put a smile on their face and say "Sorry, we don't have any upgrades available at this time." From what I've seen the best way to get an upgrade is to either come in not expecting one, and just be friendly, or like the previous poster said, talk to management about a past experience that wasn't all the great (hopefully you don't have to do that though!). But just know that just because you're nice doesn't mean you'll get a free upgrade, there's always other things that could be preventing it. :)

Yes. Outside of DLR I've gotten dozens of free upgrades, but I've only asked once, and I asked how much the upgrade would cost and they gave it to us for free.

For free? :confused:
I didn't realize you could do that. I didn't even realize there was a room assigned fax number. Is it the same for all 3 DLR hotels? Or do they each have their own? What do you say?

Each hotel has their own fax line. I found the numbers by googling. It's just the hotel's fax line, and I put Atten: Room Assigner at the top.

I send a nice/friendly/cheerful/Disney-ish memo/letter. I talk about our excitement about the upcoming trip. I tell them why the trip is special. I ask for up to 3 accommodations (in order of importance). I add some Mickey Heads or other Disney clip art and sign off happily.

Yay magic! pixiedust:

LOL... I just remembered this one... we got a mediocre package at GCH for the 50th Anniversary. I mean, we should have had the crummiest parking lot view of all time. I sent the fax, per usual. When we checked in, the girl at the front desk almost did a spit-take when she saw our room assignment. Heh heh. It was a perfect, centered room facing DCA with a view of the pool (just as I requested). I thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head. I just smiled. :)

I don't consider picking your room to be an upgrade unless you pay for standard and get view.
I always ask for specific rooms (right down to the exact #) and most of the time I get it, but I do pay for it.
Back to my original post.... what have you gotten for free?

pennyring said:
LOL... I just remembered this one... we got a mediocre package at GCH for the 50th Anniversary. I mean, we should have had the crummiest parking lot view of all time. I sent the fax, per usual. When we checked in, the girl at the front desk almost did a spit-take when she saw our room assignment. Heh heh. It was a perfect, centered room facing DCA with a view of the pool (just as I requested). I thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head. I just smiled. :)

Very nice!

we only stayed a DLH one time. It was last summer at the very last minute. our power had been knocked out during and insane heat wave. we suffered on night and werent doing it again. we were looking for anything local and just couldnt get anything. we said well at least at the DLH there is other stuff to do aside from just sitting in a room. So we called and booked. an hour later we checked in (about 5pm). We told the cast member how excited we were for ac and a pool because our power was out. I just kind of said we wanted to get in that pool as fast as we could. I don't know if the room type we reserved was unavailable at the time or what but we were upgraded to a higher up pool view. I have no idea where we would have been otherwise.

Another time at WDW after taking a red eye we were checking in at 7am at AKL we were given our room right away. It was the room we paid for but it was ready right away! that particular trip I felt nasty getting off the plane and a shower was much needed and appreciated.

I don't consider picking your room to be an upgrade unless you pay for standard and get view.
I always ask for specific rooms (right down to the exact #) and most of the time I get it, but I do pay for it.
Back to my original post.... what have you gotten for free?

Out of curiousity, what room # do you ask for at PPH and why?

awdsmama said:
Out of curiousity, what room # do you ask for at PPH and why?

At PPH we ask for a cabana room 307 & 309 are my favorites. I don't care about the view and I love being next to the pool. At GCH we ask for anything in the 400 wing. I love being able to be out of the park and into our room in just a few minutes.

I know people get upgraded (sometimes) from standard to park view, but do upgrades happen very often from park view to concierge?

I know people get upgraded (sometimes) from standard to park view, but do upgrades happen very often from park view to concierge?
Concierge is an expense, and that is harder to justify for the front desk. A room that is upgraded to a better view, the better view isn't pre-sold for the dates checking in, so it isn't an expense. I don't know of anyone in the last 2 years who have received an upgrade to concierge for free. You can add it at the DLH for $200 and $300 at GCH. I think it is $50 at PPH.

Malcon10t said:
Concierge is an expense, and that is harder to justify for the front desk. A room that is upgraded to a better view, the better view isn't pre-sold for the dates checking in, so it isn't an expense. I don't know of anyone in the last 2 years who have received an upgrade to concierge for free. You can add it at the DLH for $200 and $300 at GCH. I think it is $50 at PPH.

We were made the Big Kahuna family at PPH in December of 2011 and we were given a free upgrade to concierge, but since we had already paid for a two bedroom suite with a theme park view, that was all they could really add. And the Big Kahuna thing wasn't random, it was in response to a letter I wrote (about the awesome PPH staff during a horrible trip in May of that same year), I think usually it is a view upgrade. The concierge upgrade is pretty rare (i think I've heard of a couple of others here, but not many), because, as the PP said, it actually costs them money.

Oh, and I believe it is closer to $100, if not $125, for concierge upgrade at PPH.

Correct... it's around $125 for regular rate concierge at PPH.
We are season pass holders and get it for about $80 at PPH. At GCH it would cost us about $250, so we don't consider it a cost saver. At PPH we can easily drink $80 worth of coffee, milk, juice, sodas, water, beer and wine a day. Even if we don't eat anything from it (which we always eat desserts and snacks) we come out ahead.

Thank you everyone for the info, much appreciated.

I don't think we'll really use enough to justify the cost of upgrading to concierge from theme park view. It''s myself and child (will be 9). We tend to spend most of the day/evening in the park and enjoy eating in the park to try new places (bring on Blue Bayou, BTMM BBQ and dole whips this trip!). So I don't know the cost would be worth it? We also bring refillable water bottles.

But I will def. pay for the theme park view, I don't want to rely on hoping for an upgrade for that since I hear the view is wonderful!

Yea, I don't think it would be worth it for just two of you. The least we've had is 6. It's worth it then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter