• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Dining

Thanks for consolidating all that!

Yeah, why I say early Sept this year for the start of FD is due to a number of things:

This is all stuff you know, but I'm just repeating...
1) The FD window has been starting later the last few years, sometimes starting late that last week of Aug, or 1st week of Sept.
2) Park attendance is up with the economy improving, so the incentive is for Disney to offer these discounts is lessening.
3) Since the first day of your stay needs to fall in the window, this can make a late Aug trip really tough bank on for FD this year. With Labor day being so late in 2015 (Sept 7th), many schools are still out until then, hence still time many to visit the parks without pulling kids out of school.

So, I'm guessing the FD window won't open until early Sept sometime

Dan
In the last 11 years, Free Dining has only started in September one time. I would look for this year's FD promo to start on August 28.

In the last 11 years, Free Dining has only started in September one time. I would look for this year's FD promo to start on August 28.

You very well could be right. I hope so, for those looking for a vacation before school starts.

Another thing that lends credibility to late Aug is... if I remember right, when I booked the BB offer, the Window started in late Aug 2015 I think. It is a totally separate offer, but...

Dan

Last edited:
You very well could be right. I hope so, for those looking for a vacation before school starts.

Another thing that lends credibility to late Aug is... if I remember right, when I booked the BB offer, the Window started in late Aug 2015 I think. It is a totally separate offer, but...

Dan
The Fall Free Dining Bounceback offer was for check in dates August 20 - October 2, 2015, and the GP offers is usually about a week after the bounceback start date. Also, the year before last, when the GP FD promo did not start until September 1, there was a HUGE dental convention at WDW and the resorts were full, there isn't any conference of that magnitude planned for late August this year, so I think August 28 should be pretty likely :-)

Yes, the FD promo that will be released next week, will most likely start on August 28. To apply a Free Dining discount to your vacation stay your check IN day must fall within the FD promo dates, or you can not take advantage of the FD discount at all. On the flip side, if you check in by the last day of a FD promo, you can have the discount applied to your entire stay, up to 14 nights. It's all about your check IN date.

That's what I figured. Oh well. My dates are pretty inflexible since I am scheduling this trip so our check-in date is the day before my son's 3rd birthday. He gets free dining anyway for making it under that 3 year old mark. Plus my in-laws are going to and have booked out things already (like dinner reservations).

If it is offered in late Aug, I would guess more like Sunday Aug 30th. Seems as though the window opens mostly on a Sun. In the last 10 years, it been Sun 7 times, Sat, 2 times, Mon 1 time.

Dan

Here are the current dates that were rumored on the south american site. He also stated that the earlier ones may go to travel agencies ONLY. I am guessing it will start on 8/30, which will stink for me as I am there 8/21-8/28.

Aug 15-Oct 2
Oct 25-31
Nov 8-19
Dec 15-21
Booking on 4/27

This is a good, solid rumor. Don't make any irreversible plans until the offer is officially released, and don't get your hopes up because until they release it, it isn't set in stone. There are several days between now and 4/27. Anything can change.

I would guess IF they offered Free Dining that it wouldn't start until August 28th (since their 30% off resort promotion is good through August 27th).

I am staying from August 26th - August 30th .. (and got a discount on our first two days because of that promotion) .. not sure how that would work with Free Dining.

It won't. If it starts the 28th you won't get any free dining at all checking in the 26th. You would have to book two separate reservations, which you can't do anyway because 28-30 is just 2 nights and a 3 night minimum is required for free dining.

Here are the current dates that were rumored on the south american site. He also stated that the earlier ones may go to travel agencies ONLY. I am guessing it will start on 8/30, which will stink for me as I am there 8/21-8/28.

Aug 15-Oct 2
Oct 25-31
Nov 8-19
Dec 15-21
Booking on 4/27

This is a good, solid rumor. Don't make any irreversible plans until the offer is officially released, and don't get your hopes up because until they release it, it isn't set in stone. There are several days between now and 4/27. Anything can change.
There has never been a U.S. Disney Free Dining promo that was just for travel agencies and I just don't think there is any chance of FD starting on August 15, mid-August dates haven't happened in years and the FD bounceback doesn't start until August 20th. My "guestimate" for the upcoming U.S. WDW Free Dining promo, going off past dates and historical FD data, would probably be:

August 29 - October 2
October 18 - 31
November 8 - 19
December 11 - 20

I also think there is a possibility of November 29 - December 4 in there too because POP Warner will be December 5 - 12 this year.

Give or take a few days :-)

Last edited:
There has never been a U.S. Disney Free Dining promo that was just for travel agencies and I just don't think there is any chance of FD starting on August 15, mid-August dates haven't happened in years and the FD bounceback doesn't start until August 20th. My "guestimate" for the upcoming U.S. WDW Free Dining promo, going off past dates and historical FD data, would probably be:

August 29 - October 2
October 18 - 31
November 8 - 19
December 11 - 20

I also think there is a possibility of November 29 - December 4 in there too because POP Warner will be December 5 - 12 this year.

Your dates are also more along the lines of what I expected to see. I guess we will see shortly.

How quickly do the FD value rooms book out? Within a few hours or a couple of days?
Am I better to make a new booking online then cancel my existing one or call and add free dining to an existing reservation?
It looks like the room price has increased since we booked, can I make a new reservation online to secure a FD room, then try calling and cancel the new online booking if the call is successful?

How quickly do the FD value rooms book out? Within a few hours or a couple of days?
Am I better to make a new booking online then cancel my existing one or call and add free dining to an existing reservation?
It looks like the room price has increased since we booked, can I make a new reservation online to secure a FD room, then try calling and cancel the new online booking if the call is successful?
Room rates don't increase during the year, only when the new rates and packages are released each summer, usually in July. All-Star Movies will most likely be excluded from the promo, as it has the last two years. There should be room at the other All-Stars and Pop for at least a few weeks, but some room categories may book up very quickly or be excluded all together. If you are wanting to take advantage of the Disney Visa FD promo, you have to call and wait on the phone either way, as the DV FD discount can not be make or added on the website. If you are booking the General Public FD promo, it makes absolutely no difference if you call and add the discount or book a new reservation - other than you can expect to wait a long time to add the discount, as opposed to making a new reservation on line. Also, if you do cancel, you will not get an instant refund, it can take up to two billing cycles, or two months for your credit card to reflect the refund.

August 29 - October 2
October 18 - 31
November 8 - 19
December 11 - 20

I totally agree with you.

Disney doesn't offer Free Dining in May. It's been around since 2007 and it's usually offered the end of August, entire month of September, first and last weeks of October and second and third weeks of November and December. Those dates can shift slightly depending on when some holidays fall.

Yeah I know. We originally planned our vacay for the fall for that reason. But had to change our plans ... I was just wishing/hoping ... There has been free dining in the spring once so I was crossing our fingers we might get lucky. But oh well. Maybe we will just have to go back. Lol

Some can fill up within a day. I remember some POR rooms being like that a few years back. That's booking with the general public offer. Best bet is to have a Disney Visa which gives you about a week head start.

Dan

I should know this but I forgot. The past promotions what resorts were excluded. I mean ANY offer not just FD.
PORT ORLEANS FQ, AoA mermaid rooms(?) bay lake towers. I know I'm missing a bunch.

Also what is the most inexpensive mod resort, and what's the 2nd most inexpensive mod resort. We won't be going in 2016 but more then likely 2017 and I'll be booking those packages in July 2016 :)

There is a fast moving thread called "Free Dining 2015 and a whole lot more", it literally multiplied by 10 pages in 30 minutes. Lots of information!

will this be applicable for those traveling November 2015?
my bff nov 8-14?
me nov 11-18?

Could someone please tell me how the free dining is announced to Disney Visa cardholders? I am a newer cardholder. Will it be in email form?

Room rates don't increase during the year, only when the new rates and packages are released each summer, usually in July. All-Star Movies will most likely be excluded from the promo, as it has the last two years. There should be room at the other All-Stars and Pop for at least a few weeks, but some room categories may book up very quickly or be excluded all together. If you are wanting to take advantage of the Disney Visa FD promo, you have to call and wait on the phone either way, as the DV FD discount can not be make or added on the website. If you are booking the General Public FD promo, it makes absolutely no difference if you call and add the discount or book a new reservation - other than you can expect to wait a long time to add the discount, as opposed to making a new reservation on line. Also, if you do cancel, you will not get an instant refund, it can take up to two billing cycles, or two months for your credit card to reflect the refund.
Our package was booked prior to the ticket price increases, if we call to get the discount added does that retain the cheaper park tickets?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter