Free Dining Question, would love all opinions please:)

Past performance does not guarantee future results. I am afraid this will be true with Free Dining in 2013. I wouldn't expect any more Free Dining offers this year based on what Disney has done so far this year. More people are traveling to WDW and the need to offer Free Dining diminishes. If business continues to grow then 2014 will likely be the same. Of course I am just an arm chair observer so I don't know exactly what will happen. And, with an inserted related thought, the value of dining plans has been dropping thru the years anyway.

I don't see any indications that values would be excluded.

Danny25 has predicted it. I don't know how much weight you give to that, but the guy has had the inside info for the last few discounts.

Danny25 has predicted it. I don't know how much weight you give to that, but the guy has had the inside info for the last few discounts.

Many have predicted various things. However, think about it. They've never excluded values from a discount. Even though the bouncebacks didn't show values, people were still able to call and book them. If they did exclude them, their occupancy at the value resorts would drop significantly. They have no reason to see that happening.

Many have predicted various things. However, think about it. They've never excluded values from a discount. Even though the bouncebacks didn't show values, people were still able to call and book them. If they did exclude them, their occupancy at the value resorts would drop significantly. They have no reason to see that happening.

Yep, I would be extremely surprised if that was the case. (Thus, I was extremely surprised when he predicted it might happen.)

I have a question. My vacation dates are September 21st to the 29th. If FD is available up until September 24th, do I pay regular price for the rest of my trip. I'm confused!!! Please Help.. :confused3

I have a question. My vacation dates are September 21st to the 29th. If FD is available up until September 24th, do I pay regular price for the rest of my trip. I'm confused!!! Please Help.. :confused3

Nope. As long as your checkin date falls in the free dining range, it covers your entire length of stay.

Actually it's kind of my job to predict what Disney will do in regard to promotions and other discounts. I'm not saying I can 100% predict what Disney will do in regard to late summer and early fall discounts, but I've got a pretty good track record and a ridiculous amount of historical data I keep about discounts and free dining specifically.

And really, I can almost certainly tell you that they will NOT be able to fill enough rooms, more specifically value rooms, during September without a huge discount like free dining or something very comparable.
I agree with you whole heartedly....I would like to see them try and NOT offer FD during PEAK Hurricane Season....bookings would be so low,they'd be trying to GIVE rooms away at the value resorts to get people back on property....Yeah,I would love to see em' try it!;)

I predict Disney will offer late summer/early fall discounts within the next few weeks. I think the dates will be August 18 - September 24. I think they will include value resorts in the free dining promo - quick service for values and basic DDP for mods and deluxe resorts. I predict limited FD rooms at POR and POFQ. I contend that the Little Mermaid rooms at AOA will be excluded from the FD promo. I think POR will sell out first, followed by preferred rooms at Pop and then preferred rooms at All Star Movies.

I offer no guarantee on those FD predictions, that's just my educated response from the numbers and info that I've tracked for the last 9 years.

Whether you're right or wrong, I find your predictions really interesting.
Can I ask whether you predict any free dining or deep discounts for late September/Early October?
Since I'm renting DVC points, I won't be able to make use of any discount that is offered. However I'm still curious about any discounts that might affect crowd levels and restaurant availability.

Lastly, if you don't mind, would you be able to PM me your blog address? Any blog that relates to travel and saving money is something I'm sure I would enjoy reading.

My bounceback free dining for September, we were able to book any value except the LM rooms however we chose POR since we are a party of 5 and some in my group wanted to try it out.. I am pretty certain they will offer free dining. Probably the Qs for values which of course you can upgrade if desired. Regular free dining for moderates.. Do not forget to book your ADR's people!

I predict Disney will offer late summer/early fall discounts within the next few weeks. I think the dates will be August 18 - September 24. I think they will include value resorts in the free dining promo - quick service for values and basic DDP for mods and deluxe resorts. I predict limited FD rooms at POR and POFQ. I contend that the Little Mermaid rooms at AOA will be excluded from the FD promo. I think POR will sell out first, followed by preferred rooms at Pop and then preferred rooms at All Star Movies.

Hello! I am curious as to why you think the dates will be the 18th - 24th....am guessing maybe something to do with Food and Wine starting that week? Mostly curious because our arrival date is the 25th! And, we are really REALLY hoping for that free dining, our family of 5 needs the moderates and the free dining is a HUGE discount, especially with 2 of the three kiddos in "adult" prices now at 11 and 12.

We have not booked air yet, so we CAN be flexible to a certain extent, but am still really wondering about your thoughts on the end date being the day prior to our arrival, particularly as recent years were mid-august to the end of September for the FD dates ....

Any insight you can provide is very welcome! Thank you for so diligently doing the homework for all or our benefit!!!

:)

Hello! I am curious as to why you think the dates will be the 18th - 24th....am guessing maybe something to do with Food and Wine starting that week? Mostly curious because our arrival date is the 25th! And, we are really REALLY hoping for that free dining, our family of 5 needs the moderates and the free dining is a HUGE discount, especially with 2 of the three kiddos in "adult" prices now at 11 and 12.

We have not booked air yet, so we CAN be flexible to a certain extent, but am still really wondering about your thoughts on the end date being the day prior to our arrival, particularly as recent years were mid-august to the end of September for the FD dates ....

Any insight you can provide is very welcome! Thank you for so diligently doing the homework for all or our benefit!!!

They are shortening their window for free dining in anticipation that crowds will pick up at the end of September.

I'm actually seeing a week later than disney411, August 24-September 24 from what I've been hearing. They generally begin public free dining a few days after bounceback.

Don't lose hope yet as things can change a bit. But we should know around the last Thursday in April (they like to release Disney visa discounts on a Thursday). That would be April 25ish but of course we will know a few days early.

Cheers!!!

Thanks! So is the 24th actually a day both of you have seen or heard whispers of? I am very hopeful, and agree that even Disney would be hard pressed to completely eliminate a successful promotion that, quite frankly, has almost become expected in recent years due to its frequency. What I AM worried about is that you both seem committed to the idea of the possible promotion ending the day before we arrive! Gosh, we are going whether we get the discount or not, but to miss it by a DAY! Wow - it is nearly $2,000 for our family!! If it does come out and it does end on the 24th, we may just have to add one more night to our trip! Honestly, that would cost LESS - significantly so - than not having the deal!!

Oh Mickey please oh please, don't keep us hanging much longer!

So I am planning a trip, checking in on August 31st. That is Labor Day weekend - will those weekend days be blackout days if FD comes out? I have never done FD before, but I run the numbers just in case. Just wondering if FD isn't offered on holiday check-ins...

That's a Tuesday too .... Seems an odd day to end a promotion?

The bounceback actually ends on the 26th, a Thursday, for deluxes and even earlier than that for moderates. The ending dates are a bit more vague so you may be in the clear. Just wish for some pixie dust and hold on tight!!!!

Why do DVC members not get to participate in this? I'm just curious since we spend a lot of money buying in, and we still need to get tickets. They should at least do something.

They are shortening their window for free dining in anticipation that crowds will pick up at the end of September.

I'm actually seeing a week later than disney411, August 24-September 24 from what I've been hearing. They generally begin public free dining a few days after bounceback.

Don't lose hope yet as things can change a bit. But we should know around the last Thursday in April (they like to release Disney visa discounts on a Thursday). That would be April 25ish but of course we will know a few days early.

Cheers!!!

I'm coming Oct 17th-26th. Correct me if I'm wrong, from what you're saying is, free dining may not be available come Oct? Now, if it did, when do they normally release a promotion, and if they did not release free dining are the chances pretty high for a room only discount?

Thank-you! :)

Why do DVC members not get to participate in this? I'm just curious since we spend a lot of money buying in, and we still need to get tickets. They should at least do something.

I am thinking, and I can be wrong. Jmho, the reasoning may be that some of the rooms can house up to 9 people. 9 people getting free dining. Disney probably would lose money. However, people who own can always purchase a dining plan. For a person renting points, it is a win win actually I looked into renting points in Sept. It actually cost less renting points, buying the ddp, and tickets then it is for all 7 of us to stay at POR with free dining. However, my parents chose POR. :confused3

TheDisney411 said:
That just isn't going to happen. If they didn't offer free dining at all to the values during that time frame that would leave them with thousands of empty rooms during value season. They aren't going to shoot themselves I'm the foot like that. September is still the height of hurricane season, so I can't see them not offering free dining during this time frame.

They don't need to offer free dining..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter