Free Dining-next year

koryandleslie

Mouseketeer
Thinking about a trip next year. When does Free Dining usually start? Late August, 1st week of August, September? Not that there is ever a guarantee, but based on the past, when does it start? I think you can buy it in April?

What if you already have a reservation held? Say, I hold a trip now for the 3rd week of August with DDP and pay for it. Then in April, free dining comes out. Can I just switch and get my money back or is it for NEW reservations only?

Before I made my reservation for next September I openly asked if the free dining plan is offered, can I apply it to my account. I was told yes by the CM BUT you have to call as soon as you can because it is only offered for a limited number of rooms. They will not automatically apply it. HTH!

I had the same question also....

So should I book my trip without the DDP and then add the DDP once it is released next year? :confused3

I am just afraid that if I book with the DDP and then pay the trip in full it will be very difficult to get my money back.....

It's usually starts mid-August at the soonest (might be later in Aug.--it's hard to say) and usually ends at the end of Sept. If you book a Sept. trip, that's probably the safest bet that you'll be within the free dining days.

We booked our September trip early without the DP. Then, when FD came out, I called and they applied it to the reservation. The CM I had wanted the offer code...not sure if all of them asked for it. But, having been on the boards, I had it, so it wasn't a problem.

Thinking about a trip next year. When does Free Dining usually start? Late August, 1st week of August, September? Not that there is ever a guarantee, but based on the past, when does it start? I think you can buy it in April?

What if you already have a reservation held? Say, I hold a trip now for the 3rd week of August with DDP and pay for it. Then in April, free dining comes out. Can I just switch and get my money back or is it for NEW reservations only?
A history of Free Dining offers:

2006:
Free Dining announced on 4/4/2006 for 8/13-9/30/2006
Booking window extended on 6/02/2006 but only covered dates 8/20-9/30/2009​

2007:
Free Dining announced for the general public on 4/12/2007 for stays beginning 8/26-9/22/2007.
A separate offer to Disney VISA cardmembers which was announced 3 days prior to the general public code but covered the same dates.
Free dining for UK visitors was announced on 8/25/2006 for visits beginning 8/12-9/29/2007​

2008:
Free Dining for the general public announced on 4/10/2008 for stays beginning 8/24-9/20/2007.
A similar offer for Disney VISA cardholders was announced on 4/7/2008 for the same dates.
A "bounceback" free dining offer was given to guests who stayed at a WDW resort during 8/31-10/12/2007 for stays beginning 8/30-9/27/2008.
A Free Dining offer for UK residents was announced on 8/23/2007 for stays beginning 8/10-9/27/2008.​

2009:
Free Dining for the general public was announced on 3/30/2009 for stays beginning 8/16-10/3/2009.
On 6/10/2009 the booking window was extended but only covered stays beginning 8/22-10/3/2009. A similar offer for Disney VISA cardmembers was announced on 3/26/2009 covering the dates from 8/16-10/3/2009.
A "bounceback" free dining offer was given to guests who stayed at a WDW resort during 8/24-10/24/2008 for visits beginning 8/23-10/2/2009.
Another Free Dining offer for the general public was announced on 7/27/2009 for stays beginning 9/27-12/17/2009. A similar offer was extended to Disney VISA cardmembers on 7/24/2009.​

2010:
There is a bounceback free dining offer currently being offered to guests who are staying at a WDW resort for stays that will begin 8/15-9/30/2010.​

Thank you so much for all the time and effort in answerig this question. Looks like I may be good for the last week of August. I'll book room and tickets and hopefully be able to be upgraded to free dining.

I've done the DDP before. Is the Deluxe too much food? Esp. if I want to throw in some signature dining or character/princess (2 TS credits?) What do you think?

Thanks so much for all the answers...I think when I get a chance I will booked without DDP and then add when Free Dining is offered.... :thumbsup2

To the PP I personally think the Deluxe Dining is too much food... You seem to spend more time sitting at the table service restaurants instead of enjoying the parks... :cool1:

I've done the DDP before. Is the Deluxe too much food? Esp. if I want to throw in some signature dining or character/princess (2 TS credits?) What do you think?
We're doing DxDP in December but it's just me & DH and only for 4 nights. I'm not sure that I would do it for an entire week as I believe it would be too much food. I cannot fathom doing 3 TS meals each day. Even 1 signature and one 1-credit TS seems like a lot for me but we're giving it a try. If you want it more for the convenience of having all meals paid in advance than for the "value" it provides, I think it's worth getting. Oh, and there are 2 snack credits per person per night. Way too many snacks over a week. I'm not even sure we will use 16 snacks in 5 days!

What is a "bounceback" free dining offer?

:welcome: to the DIS!

A bounceback offer is an offer made while a guest is still visiting WDW to encourage them to re-visit (or bounceback) at another time in the near future. The discount can be a room-only rate or a special package but whatever it is, it must be booked by the guest prior to leaving WDW. In the past 3 years, visitors staying during free dining in the fall have been given the opportunity to book another free dining package for the next year during the fall.

You can book a trip INCLUDING the DDP now and if free dining is offered, your account will be credited the cost of the DDP. (you do have to call and ask for an amendment...it's not automatic) We've done this plenty of time. We book a trip at rack rate and then amend them when the offers come out.

You can book a trip INCLUDING the DDP now and if free dining is offered, your account will be credited the cost of the DDP. (you do have to call and ask for an amendment...it's not automatic) We've done this plenty of time. We book a trip at rack rate and then amend them when the offers come out.

Is it easier to just book it now without dining, then add it, instead of trying to get a refund when it's offered?
What if we wanted Deluxe? How much over the price of the DDP is it?
Could we book it now, w/o dining, add free dining when it comes out, then upgrade to deluxe?

Is it easier to just book it now without dining, then add it, instead of trying to get a refund when it's offered?
What if we wanted Deluxe? How much over the price of the DDP is it?
Could we book it now, w/o dining, add free dining when it comes out, then upgrade to deluxe?

Is it easier? Maybe. Do you intend to travel specific dates? Do you have your heart set on a certain resort and/or room type? Will you be going even if there is no discount being offered? If so, then just book your vacation and make the change later. Or use a TA that specializes in Disney like DreamsUnlimited Travel. They will take care of keeping track of the discounts and make the call for you if one comes out that can be applied to your reservation.

Since most discounts are announced long before the final payment is due on a package, you probably will not need to get a refund if you can apply the discount to your reservation. I would not be too concerned about getting a refund.

In the past, if you want to change your dining package, you would pay the difference between the value of your free dining plan and the cost of plan that you want to upgrade to. SInce Disney passes up an opportunity to take your money, I would not expect this to change. For 2010 the plans are priced as follows:
  • QSDP - $31.99/night (adult) and $9.99/night (child)
  • DDP - $41.99/night (adult) and $11.99/night (child) during most seasons
    and $46.99/night (adult) and $12.99/night (child) during spring break, summer season and Christmas season
  • DxDP - $71.99/night (adult) and $20.99/night (child)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter