Free Dining frustration <tiny vent>

We heard them answer yes, when asked by the waitstaff if they were on the free dining plan

I've never been asked by a server if I was on the FREE dining plan. I have been asked if I was on the dining plan, but never if it was free or not.

This makes alot of sense. Perhaps the bigger issue is not having a cancellation policy in effect...

from every heated debate comes good points! lol

I can agree with you on this point.

I think:

- ADR's should be an actual reservation, not the bizarro meaning WDW gives them. An actual table would be reserved for your party if you make an ADR.
- But all ADR's should be held with a credit card number. This policy is in effect for events like Hoop de Doo.
- If you fail to cancel in a reasonable time window, and then don't show up for the ADR, a penalty (maybe the cost of 1 entree times the size of the party) should be assessed to the credit card # on file.
- This system should be online.
- This would largely alleviate all issues with the restaurants.

I've never been asked by a server if I was on the FREE dining plan. I have been asked if I was on the dining plan, but never if it was free or not.

This was when free dining had just started, not sure if there was even a DDP yet, thats actually how we found out about free dining the first time, by hearing people talk about it

Btw, booking my two previous vacations (2006 and 2007) I've found that ADR's are required even without free dining. It was ridiculously difficult to change reservations while at WDW, and ADR time slots were limited at some restaurants even at the 180 day mark.

Yep. We booked our August trip (leaving a few days before the first free dining folks checked in, but within the dates for UK and bounceback free dining) about a month in advance. We couldn't get CRT or Crystal Palace or Ohana at all. I'm happy with what I did get - Kona and Grand Floridian Cafe - but the popular restaurants were booked well before the 30 days in advance that I was planning. When we were looking at going in December, I couldn't get Le Cellier before 8:30 at night for any day during our trip, and I couldn't get CRT for breakfast or lunch at all. And that's not a free dining time of year.

This was when free dining had just started, not sure if there was even a DDP yet, thats actually how we found out about free dining the first time, by hearing people talk about it

I was there for free dining in 2005 -- the first time they offered free dining -- and yes, the DDP had been in existance prior to the "free" dining period for at least a few months. Again, I was never asked by a server if it was "free". I don't think they really cared -- as long as they were getting paid/tipped somehow.

I'm not saying you didn't overhear the exchange you mentioned, but I really find it odd that a server asked if their dining plan was free. What business is it of the servers? What would be the motivation for asking? :confused3 From what I understood at the time, most servers didn't even know it had been offered for "free".

I think it has absolutely NOTHING to do with it being free or not. It is just the nature of the dining plan. Before the dining plan, maybe you cared if you got in sit-down restaurants, maybe you didn't. Now, if it is free, you certainly care, and if you are paying for it, you probably care even more that you actually get to use what you paid for. I'm going in November, when it is not free. I made my ADRs at the 180 day mark, but recently tried to make a few changes and virtually nothing was available. And we are three months away! I personally liked when it was 90 days ahead instead of 180. It is very hard to make a "last minute" decision to go now, even if "last minute" means 3-4 months in advance!

I booked my package with the 40% code and added the DDP. My package cost the same as if I had booked a Free Dining package. My room is discounted but my dining plan is full price(as opposed to their full price room with the plan added on for free).I made all my ADRs at 180 days because the reality now is a lot more people are using the dining plan, free or otherwise. Tables at several restaurant ar routinely hard to come by any time of the year. Is it more acceptable for me to take up one of those tables you felt you were slighted on because I paid for my dining plan or am I the same as a Free Diner? I stayed last year on DVC points and paid for dining then also. Again, the cost was comparable to a package with Free Dining. Was it OK then because it was DVC? Everybody there has saved for a vacation that they hope is the best, Some people have just done more planning.

Does anyone know if someone has an ADR,and they do not check in for the proposed time, do they get scratched off to make room for other guests, or will they wait a certain amount of time before releasing the time spot?

We always make it a point to arrive 10-15 minutes early... are we wasting our time by doing this?

oh well.... chicken strips and cheeseburgers galore! lol

Does anyone know if someone has an ADR,and they do not check in for the proposed time, do they get scratched off to make room for other guests, or will they wait a certain amount of time before releasing the time spot?

We always make it a point to arrive 10-15 minutes early... are we wasting our time by doing this?

It's not a hard reservation...they aren't saving a table for you. Basically there's a list of people with ADR's and a list of people waiting to be seated. If you show up then your name gets moved from the first list to the second list and they give out tables as they become available. If you don't show up, they don't hold a spot for you, they just skip over your name and continue down the list of ADR's. Since tables are essentially given away first come first serve to people off the ADR list it is in your best interest to show up a little early (odds are you'll be seated a little earlier).

oh well.... chicken strips and cheeseburgers galore! lol

I'm not sure ADR's are understood fully here.

ADR's are not reservations, in the traditional sense of that word. They only mean you have a spot in line to be seated at a certain time, and you must show up for that spot on time, or the ADR gets cancelled after a window of a few minutes.

When you show up for an ADR, you still have to wait for a table, like everyone else who just walks up. Your name would be called before non-ADR people, but only when a table for your party size opens up.

So if one does not show up for an ADR, a table was never wasted, only a spot in line for a table, and a lot of people's time.

I think the ADR system is badly flawed, and this is why I suggested the changes I listed in the post before this one.

Sorry to keep posting, but I wanted to add a caveat to what I said above. ADR's for things like Hoop de Doo, etc. are actual reserved tables. But they also take your credit card number for these ADR's. IMO, all ADR's should be like the way they do Hoop de Doo.

We heard them answer yes, when asked by the waitstaff if they were on the free dining plan

I have been during free dinning (both on and off of it), and NEVER heard a member of staff ask if they were on the FREE dining plan, yes they ask if they were on the dinning plan. Do not forget there are many people who will be staying with a paid DDP, only;those who booked in a relativity short window (or windows with bounce back etc) got the free dining.

You say you are not against people getting the 'free' plan, but you are resenting not being able to get the ADRs that you want.

You are villianising the wrong people, you need to villanize Disney for having to little capacity and over booking restaurants, and the system as a whole. DDP has caused increased demand and is making it necessary to book 180 days out, regardless of whether or not there is free dining. It is like anything else where demand is greater than supply, there will be shortages, and you really sound like you feel you ought to have special treatment because you are a DVC member and you are 'paying' for your DDP.

I think it has absolutely NOTHING to do with it being free or not. It is just the nature of the dining plan. Before the dining plan, maybe you cared if you got in sit-down restaurants, maybe you didn't. Now, if it is free, you certainly care, and if you are paying for it, you probably care even more that you actually get to use what you paid for. I'm going in November, when it is not free. I made my ADRs at the 180 day mark, but recently tried to make a few changes and virtually nothing was available. And we are three months away! I personally liked when it was 90 days ahead instead of 180. It is very hard to make a "last minute" decision to go now, even if "last minute" means 3-4 months in advance!

I totally agree with that! I don't mind playing along with the ADR system because I am a planner by nature and I enjoy looking over menus and reviews and deciding which restaurants we want to try, but I liked the 90 day ADR policy better than 180 simply because we often don't plan our travel that far in advance.

I'm not sure ADR's are understood fully here.

ADR's are not reservations, in the traditional sense of that word. They only mean you have a spot in line to be seated at a certain time, and you must show up for that spot on time, or the ADR gets cancelled after a window of a few minutes.

When you show up for an ADR, you still have to wait for a table, like everyone else who just walks up. Your name would be called before non-ADR people, but only when a table for your party size opens up.

So if one does not show up for an ADR, a table was never wasted, only a spot in line for a table, and a lot of people's time.

I think the ADR system is badly flawed, and this is why I suggested the changes I listed in the post before this one.

What a terrible system!

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

So arriving a few minutes early will not hurt as your still in a "line" so to speak.

I really do not care if we have to eat at 9pm...I just live for the experience.

Now on the "reservations with credit cards" those are for actual tables right...not a spot in line?

I have been during free dinning (both on and off of it), and NEVER heard a member of staff ask if they were on the FREE dining plan, yes they ask if they were on the dinning plan. Do not forget there are many people who will be staying with a paid DDP, only;those who booked in a relativity short window (or windows with bounce back etc) got the free dining.

You say you are not against people getting the 'free' plan, but you are resenting not being able to get the ADRs that you want.

You are villianising the wrong people, you need to villanize Disney for having to little capacity and over booking restaurants, and the system as a whole. DDP has caused increased demand and is making it necessary to book 180 days out, regardless of whether or not there is free dining. It is like anything else where demand is greater than supply, there will be shortages, and you really sound like you feel you ought to have special treatment because you are a DVC member and you are 'paying' for your DDP.

No problem with your post until I got to the end, in fact I agree....However, I do not feel "special" because I am a DVC member, NOR am I on the DDP, I never said I was on the DDP.

Please leave the DVC / Non-DVC politics out of this. I just wanted everyone to know why I did not have the free dining. Because free dining is not available to DVC members.

What a terrible system!

Now on the "reservations with credit cards" those are for actual tables right...not a spot in line?

Yes. At least that's my experience with Hoop de Doo, which I have booked for this October. I don't know about the Luau, and other events, since I haven't done those since the DP came about. This will be our 3rd Hoop de Doo visit since the DP came about, and 2nd time going to it actually using the 2 table service vouchers for it.

There's still a line when you get there, but that's because they have seating/show times, and the building is locked up. Then they let you in, look you up in the ressies list, and find a table for you. They even have now gone to assigning people in certain sections of the dinner hall for HDDR. I do think this is an attempt to separate DP people from cash people. I'm not a fan of the sections, but it won't matter, as the section they're putting us in I actually prefer, even though I'll be paying for the DP.

Also, I was told if we didn't show up, there'd be a fee of some sort. I responded that I'm glad to hear that; they need to do that for ALL the restaurants.

Also, I was told if we didn't show up, there'd be a fee of some sort. I responded that I'm glad to hear that; they need to do that for ALL the restaurants.

Agreed!

Also
I wonder if the same applies to my CRT and CG credit card ressies?...that it is for the actual table not just a spot in line?

There was a time when Disney offered 7 nights for the price of 4. There is always a marketing promotion to continue to draw quest to Disney using a fresh concept.

Rest assure the dining plans that exist today will have a life cycle and surcome to changes as Disney listens and responds to complaints. As some of you may note that Disney has already implemented changes and I think there are more to come in the future.

Overall, I think a vacation should be relaxing, fun and entertaining. Dining should not resemble a project managers milestone task, in competition.

Selling so many dining plans to the point that guest start to become :mad: :eek: :confused: :sad2: :sad1: is well...lets just say it is not a good thing for an array of reasons.

I must say, I really feel for the individuals in Orlando who have Disney annual passes who desire to eat at a TS restaurant...they should voice their concerns to Disney Management until they provide a solution.

There was a time when Disney offered 7 nights for the price of 4. There is always a marketing promotion to continue to draw quest to Disney using a fresh concept.

Rest assure the dining plans that exist today will have a life cycle and surcome to changes as Disney listens and responds to complaints. As some of you may note that Disney has already implemented changes and I think there are more to come in the future.

Overall, I think a vacation should be relaxing, fun and entertaining. Dining should not resemble a project managers milestone task, in competition.

Selling so many dining plans to the point that guest start to become :mad: :eek: :confused: :sad2: :sad1: is well...lets just say it is not a good thing for an array of reasons.

I must say, I really feel for the individuals in Orlando who have Disney annual passes who desire to eat at a TS restaurant...they should voice their concerns to Disney Management until they provide a solution.

My point exactly! thank you for expressing it so well! :) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter