Free Dining frustration <tiny vent>

I am curious what perks you feel that DVC members get that take away from the WDW experience for WDW guests?

- Tearing down parts of CR to build villas for DVC. Some love CR. I don't. But that took away real estate from the resort for people who just want a regular room.
- They're doing the same thing at AKL now.
- I feel like the Beach Club Villas were crammed in a fairly unlovely spot between BC and a little canal. It detracts from the appearance, IMO.
- I wish the DVC stands at the resorts, and on the cruise ships, would just go away. They are an eyesore, IMO.
- The Wilderness Lodge Villas, while more attractive than other villa locations, IMO, still take away from the rest of WL. WL has now started pricing some rooms that view the villas pool as "courtyard" view rooms. Sorry, but that view just doesn't cut it, compared to viewing the real courtyard, the geyser, the feature pool, Bay Lake, etc.

I guess I misspoke when I mentioned "perks." These aren't perks, but they are aspects of DVC that I really, really do not like. I can deal with them as they stand now, but I think WDW is risking alienating me and a lot of other loyal, but non-DVC guests, with the increasing encroachment of the DVC on beloved WDW resorts.

Somehow I have become villainized for speaking my mind as a paying customer. Last time I checked the "Free Dining" is "free" which means those using the "Free Dining" incentive are not paying for meals. Stop me when I am saying something that is false.

Well, it's not false, but it is misleading. It's not like WDW is handing out meals to every Joe Shmoe who strolls past the gate. It's more like "buy this full priced multifaceted package and we'll give you something free." So what you're really getting is a discount on a package. Free dining isn't charity, it's a sale.

Btw, booking my two previous vacations (2006 and 2007) I've found that ADR's are required even without free dining. It was ridiculously difficult to change reservations while at WDW, and ADR time slots were limited at some restaurants even at the 180 day mark.

I'm going this year after the free dining ended. I still had issues making ADR's. I made them well under the 180-day window, but still had to choose a lunch meal on a different day for Le Cellier, for instance, rather than dinner on the night I wanted. I had to pick a ridiculously early seating for LTT dinner. Rose & Crown was totally unavailable for dinner ADR's our entire week, though we might end up trying to walk up here.

So it's not just the free dining. Parks are just a bit more crowded this year than last. But we are actually paying for the dining plan this year. This year (not next year with the changes) it's still actually worth it for us.

The above poster is certainly correct in pointing out that "free diners" are paying, and quite a lot, in other areas. I got no other discounts of any kind when I got free dining 2 years ago. It wasn't actually one of the better discounts we've had. We much preferred a straight percentage discount off the room, like we had in previous trips.

While I can understand the OPs frustration (and I do belive me), this has a greater impact on local Disney guests. I don't know six months in advance when I will be visiting the parks. I MAY know two weeks ahead of time for a day visit, usually less. Sometimes I am able to make ADRs but a lot of times I can't now. THAT is frustrating.

Somehow I have become villainized for speaking my mind as a paying customer. Last time I checked the "Free Dining" is "free" which means those using the "Free Dining" incentive are not paying for meals. Stop me when I am saying something that is false.

I just find it foolish to have to plan my entire 2 week stay 180 days out when this was never an issue before

Yet, you villianize the free diners and want to segregrate their dining times from yours. Puhleeze...

If you read these boards much at all, you surely know that people who visit during other times of the year are having to make their ADRs 180 days in advance, too. It's becoming a Disney way-of-life -- free dining plan or paid dining plan -- it doesn't really matter.

I agree - it is frustrating not to be able to even get ADR's a couple of months in advance. I have never make an ADR for any other trips. We never had a problem walking in and maybe waiting a little bit.

Have you even been to an all inclusive resort? The food & alcohol are "free" in the resorts. It means it is included in your package that you pay for. I recently stayed at a resort on an all inclusive plan where you had the option. Pay out of pocket for meals and alcohol or do an all inclusive plan. You still pay, just not at that moment.

- Tearing down parts of CR to build villas for DVC. Some love CR. I don't. But that took away real estate from the resort for people who just want a regular room.
- They're doing the same thing at AKL now.
- I feel like the Beach Club Villas were crammed in a fairly unlovely spot between BC and a little canal. It detracts from the appearance, IMO.
- I wish the DVC stands at the resorts, and on the cruise ships, would just go away. They are an eyesore, IMO.
- The Wilderness Lodge Villas, while more attractive than other villa locations, IMO, still take away from the rest of WL. WL has now started pricing some rooms that view the villas pool as "courtyard" view rooms. Sorry, but that view just doesn't cut it, compared to viewing the real courtyard, the geyser, the feature pool, Bay Lake, etc.

I guess I misspoke when I mentioned "perks." These aren't perks, but they are aspects of DVC that I really, really do not like. I can deal with them as they stand now, but I think WDW is risking alienating me and a lot of other loyal, but non-DVC guests, with the increasing encroachment of the DVC on beloved WDW resorts.

Correct me if I am wrong but non DVC members can stay on "cash" at DVC locations, they call it home away from home resorts.

How does that differ from Concierge? You can probably make 4 or more rooms out of 1 concierge room...instead, the DVC has Grand Villas.

As far as the tearing down of CR...it was long due for a face lift, but I can see how CR fans would be upset though

I really am sorry that the OP has issues with free dining. But like it was mentioned before, free dining really isn't free for those of us who have it. We had to pay rack rates for our rooms..no room discount at all.

I don't think it's so much of an issue with free dining, as it is witht he dining plan in general. From what I've read on these boards, people are in a mad rush to make ADR's through out the year now, free dining or not, because so many people take advantage of the dining plan.

In addition, I think too many people double book and don't cancel their ADR's. Until Disney implements some sort of system to combat this, there will continue to be people who are shut out from the more popular restaurants.

I think all anyone can do is try and plan as best you can and hope you get what you want.

Could someone please tell me what the "180+10 days" means? :confused3

If you are staying at a WDW resort you can call 180 days from the first day of your trip and make reservations for the next 10 days. That way you don't have to keep calling back to make ADRs.

The problem is, the first couple days of your trip it may be tricky to get an ADR b/c your 180 day mark is in other people's "+10," so people have already been making ADR's for 10 days on the restaurant that you called on 180 days out.

I really am sorry that the OP has issues with free dining. But like it was mentioned before, free dining really isn't free for those of us who have it. We had to pay rack rates for our rooms..no room discount at all.

I don't think it's so much of an issue with free dining, as it is witht he dining plan in general. From what I've read on these boards, people are in a mad rush to make ADR's through out the year now, free dining or not, because so many people take advantage of the dining plan.

In addition, I think too many people double book and don't cancel their ADR's. Until Disney implements some sort of system to combat this, there will continue to be people who are shut out from the more popular restaurants.

I think all anyone can do is try and plan as best you can and hope you get what you want.

This makes alot of sense. Perhaps the bigger issue is not having a cancellation policy in effect...

from every heated debate comes good points! lol

OK this is just a stab in the dark because I have never been when free dining is offered and I'm just trying to think logically here. But, here's my thoughts on why "you snooze you loose" may not infact be true. If that many people are choosing to participate in free dining you have that many more people trying to make ADR's. And then 180+10 days comes into play. Even if you call at 180 days many other people may overlap that day because of 180+10 days (If that makes sense).

Free dining or no free dining you have had to make ADR's for years now IF you wanted to be sure of seating at most of Disney restaraunts for much of the year, there were some slow periods when this was not the case but not many.
Disney has A LOT MORE PEOPLE going each year, dining or not and one trip and you learn to make ADRs or go hungry so most of these lots of people now know to make them, not so many know to make them WAY ahead of time but many of course do because of sites like this one.

Free dining is not free and so limiting it to counter service or whatever you not work.

it is as someone said another form of discount. just like all the CODES are.
I booked for Nov. with the general public code, it saved me $600 of the original quote from Disney before the code came out, this is 6 nights with park hoppers and a dining plan, [not free] however the cost for the two of use for the dining plan is about $468 I think so in fact gee I guess we get Free dining. In fact the discount is on the room rate but the effect if the same.

It is not the dining plan but the World wide popularity and lack of strength of the dollar against other currencies that means there is no where to eat. after all dining plan or not those same people coming want to eat.
This trip in Nov is the first time I am using the dining plan but I have known for years and years I HAD to have ADR's and before that PS's to eat where I wanted to.pirate:

I think everyone is silly saying how free dining or the dining plan in general is causing problems. The real problem is that Disney is not building new restaurants to solve the problem.

Yeah, I know they are building Yak and Yeti but at the same time Tusker House is closed. Therefore, just at AK you have about 150 places out of the hourly dining inventory. How about Teppanyaki? How many people is that taking out on a typical day?

Instead of whining to Disney about not being able to "wing" your ADRs maybe you should be asking Disney why can't they build places to eat that will meet the consumer demand?

Like I mentioned earlier, perhaps the way to fix this would be to have the free dining only apply to counter service. If it's free anyway, who can complain? But by doing it the current way, anyone who pays for their meals will continue to be frustrated, so upset the guests spending the money?

Yes, I'm sure people would cmplain if the free dining plan was counter service only, and I'm sure that plan wouldn't be nearly as effective as filling rooms during hurricane season, which is the aim of offering the DDP for free. The free dining plan simply takes the place of room discounts, and isn't even the best discount that is offered, depending on your party size, ages, and resort.

Anyone, whether on free dining, paying for the dining plan or paying out of pocket, is likely to be frustrated and upset if they don't take the time to plan and make ADRs. It isn't the fault of the free dining promo, because it is an issue *whenever* you visit the World, not just for the 6 weeks or so that free dining is available.

I agree with everything you said about the free diners. I think we should take it to it's proper level though.

They should have seperate water fountains and restroom facilities.

They should wear special emblems so everyone will know who is sucking up all the food resources.

They should not be able to walk on the same side of the road as the richer...I mean...paying diners.

Above all....I would never let my son date a free diner...not when I'm alive....not even when I'm dead.

Surely there is sometype of Disney Ghetto we can shove those "huddled masses" and keep them from ruining your vacation.

"quack quack"

Correct me if I am wrong but non DVC members can stay on "cash" at DVC locations, they call it home away from home resorts.

We can, but I don't want to. They're more expensive than standard rooms, if booking through WDW itself (I am not renting points from someone or some entity I know nothing about), and I don't need a kitchenette, washer, dryer, or anything like that. I just want a nice room, with a bathroom, hopefully a nice view, and access to the resort's amenities.

Tearing down parts of resorts, such as CR and AKL, to build DVC villas takes regular rooms away. Not to mention it also creates a construction eyesore for those who paid to stay there during the construction.

Shoehorning villas in other resorts, such as at BC, does not add to their beauty in my opinion.

It's a timeshare, which is fine. I don't particularly care for timeshares, but as long as they don't intrude on my vacations, I'm fine with them. DVC, however, really is encroaching on the regular resorts, though, at least from this non-DVC guest's perspective.

WDW needs more sit downs!

FORGET trying to get into The Living Seas! lol:laughing:

I agree with everything you said about the free diners. I think we should take it to it's proper level though.

They should have seperate water fountains and restroom facilities.

They should wear special emblems so everyone will know who is sucking up all the food resources.

They should not be able to walk on the same side of the road as the richer...I mean...paying diners.

Above all....I would never let my son date a free diner...not when I'm alive....not even when I'm dead.

Surely there is sometype of Disney Ghetto we can shove those "huddled masses" and keep them from ruining your vacation.

"quack quack"

Oh ha ha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter