Free dining doesn't seem like a good deal for a solo trip

animalkingdom15

DIS Veteran
So I have been pricing various dates and resorts for a solo trip this year (plan right now is August 8 - 15), but then FD came out so I have been looking at other dates as well. Once I priced resorts and FD it seems that FD isn't really a good deal if it's just for one person especially one who already has an AP.

It seems that FD is geared towards families and not so much the solo traveler. Is that how it normally is or just how it was set up this year.

So I have been pricing various dates and resorts for a solo trip this year (plan right now is August 8 - 15), but then FD came out so I have been looking at other dates as well. Once I priced resorts and FD it seems that FD isn't really a good deal if it's just for one person especially one who already has an AP.

It seems that FD is geared towards families and not so much the solo traveler. Is that how it normally is or just how it was set up this year.

It really isn't aimed at AP holders, they pretty much figure if you have an AP you will be back.

I constantly see on here were so many people just say "Oh free dining is soooooo great!" without realizing that it's not great for everyone. Everyone has to do the math.

To be honest, I'm not generally a big fan of the dining plan under normal circumstances anyway. However, for my upcoming solo trip, I did the math and determined that free dining was a good deal for me this time.

I'm staying at All Star Music. The rack rate is $120/night. The best room only discounts I've seen for value resorts over the past two years has been 20%, or $24 a night. So if I would have spent more than $24/night on food that's covered by the dining plan, then it would be worth it for me.

I usually eat QS on solo trips, but drink ice water and certainly don't order those desserts. But I do get a snack. So without the DDP, I'd still be spending more than $24/night on food OOP. Plus, I'm going during the F&W festival, and will go armed with the prices of the various offerings. I'll use my snack credits to purchase the most expensive ones I would normally pay for OOP. Le Cellier filet? Don't mind if I do...

Then there's all the math I did before deciding that it was also cost effective for me to pay the difference and upgrade to the regular DDP. That's a whole 'nother story.

So, depending on where you're staying, what other discounts you can get, and what you'd normally pay for food OOP if not on the plan, the free dining may or may not be a good deal for a solo traveler. For me, this time, it was.

I priced it out for my mom who will be by herself in a room in September at POFQ (my family of four is also staying).We did a bounceback offer last September, and I considered a room only or a free dining for her. FD was better, but only slightly. Room only discount worked out to be about $47 a night. 2015 dining plan is $60.64 a night. In addition to the slight cost savings, with the package, she also gets the vouchers for DisneyQuest and Mini-golf, which we plan to use this trip.

I never thought free dining was ever a deal until I took a look at my solo trip over Labor Day Weekend.

I booked Pop for 3 nights with free QS dining. I got 2 day base tickets with park hoppers. My AP is up for renewal on November 10th and I can use those 2 day tickets toward it. So I consider the ticket to be a wash since I have to eventually pay that money out anyway.

The total for a rack rate standard room at Pop is for 9/3-9/7 is $389.25. The AP rate is $302.60. It will cost me $86.65 for free dining. I calculated out my QS costs and my out of pocket for just the entree (no drinks, desserts or taxes) is $91.84. So I am saving a little bit of money. I will still get the mug, 3 snacks (which I plan to use at Starbucks) and a dessert if I feel like having one.

I did the same thing for the regular dining plan and ended up losing money. I do have two table service meals planned, but I can use my TIW card and still come out paying less than if I upgraded to the DDP.

The Dining plan has never been for us as a family or me as a solo traveler. I just don't eat enough. I always go for the room only discount.

It isn't a deal for solo travelers unless it is the only deal you can get. I used it once brcause there wasn't a RO discount for my hotel and I wasn't changing resorts so free dining it was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter