• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free dining 2015?

Thanks for the reply lockeoutlogic. It seems to me this rush is primarily people who were planning to go, but were waiting to hear the announcement of free dining.

After all, how many people just booked their vacation "on a whim" merely hours after this was announced?

In other words... I'm guessing most of these people booking were going to go anyways. I suppose at best it helps push those booked trips to the dates they want to fill out.

Actually, I would guess that a great many of the people that had/have the phone lines jammed aren't going unless they get free dining. In other words, they were planning a Disney vacation around free dining, instead of simply planning a Disney vacation.

Reactions: eXo
We already have reservation for September. Do I need to call today to have the deal applied to our account? What number do I need to use for this? Will they be able to to tell whether a 30% off on my rooms will be a better deal or the Dining Plan Free?

I'd call them and switch over to the Free dinning plan.. I'm pretty sure you will save more money going that route then the discount on room.. Good luck!

We already have reservation for September. Do I need to call today to have the deal applied to our account? What number do I need to use for this? Will they be able to to tell whether a 30% off on my rooms will be a better deal or the Dining Plan Free?
Yes, you should call and verify that any discounts you qualify for are applied to your reservation. 1-407-WDISNEY.

I just looked on My Disney Experience and this is what my free dining package says:

Dining Plan:2015 Table Service Meals - Adult, 2015 Quick Service Meals, 2014 Quick Service Meals, 2015 Table Service Meals - Child

What in the world does it mean?

STILL on hold!! 1 hour, 28 mins.
OH MY GOD......I just waited 1 hour, 58 mins and after the CM came on the line saying, "hello", it went directly to the survey recording then hung up!! I am SO upset......grrrrrrr.......... Can you even imagine??? Could cry!!!

Last edited:
Took me 4hrs to get through, then on hold 15min and disconnected!
OH MY GOD......I just waited 1 hour, 58 mins and after the CM came on the line saying, "hello", it went directly to the survey recording then hung up!! I am SO upset......grrrrrrr.......... Can you even imagine??? Could cry!!!

Actually, I would guess that a great many of the people that had/have the phone lines jammed aren't going unless they get free dining. In other words, they were planning a Disney vacation around free dining, instead of simply planning a Disney vacation.

I'd be fascinated to know for sure...

Disney wants "new booking" with their promotions...

What sense is there to give discounts on already banked money?

Ahhhh... The hook of the dining plan/free dining in the first place - prepaid food increases guest spending on merch (all profit) because that part of the bill is out of the way, paid, and usually forgotten.
The theory behind the dining plan I've always bought.

As far as booking based on free dining - that is always a risky proposition. You truly have to be "take it or leave it" to not set yourself up for massive dissapointment.

I have a relative (kinda why I was watching) who booked late August under the assumption of dining at boardwalk - because she wanted to stay at boardwalk but shouldn't really pay the full rate for the package. Convinced that 8/15 would be the start.
So that 8/22 reservation blew up this morning.

Never count on a discount - is the often quoted but seldom heeded lesson.

I just looked on My Disney Experience and this is what my free dining package says:

Dining Plan:2015 Table Service Meals - Adult, 2015 Quick Service Meals, 2014 Quick Service Meals, 2015 Table Service Meals - Child

What in the world does it mean?
What you get is based on the room your paying for - they're tied together.

You can pay an upgrade fee if you want a higher level plan.

lockedoutlogic - I've read that December (before Christmas anyways) was generally a pretty slow time, which is why I booked for the 6th-13th. But then I saw threads from last year stating that it was pretty busy as early as the 14th last year. Maybe that coincides with last year's free dining plan, or maybe it's the product of fastpass+ pushing people around the parks more, or maybe its the economy picking back up, or some combination of all the above. Either way, it didn concern me a bit. Obviously the posts are anecdotal, but when I was there last October it was listed as a 4 on the crowd calendar at TP, yet it seemed incredibly busy to me. I remember thinking, "If this is a 4, then an 8 would downright scare me and a 10 would be living hell".

All in all, I think I'm glad my trip falls the week before free dining. While I'd love the discount, I'm also willing to forgo it in hopes of it not being busier.

I think That the promotion has
Been used effectively to push people to off weeks... Such as early December and mid November.
People leave school for vacations all the time now - so why not go when you can get a savings?

Free dining times are still not that crowded...but in the past had pushed the "dining crowds" to the limit...no availability in their customer unfriendly reservation policies.

Boy... That $10 hold fee sure has alleviated that...even though Disney swore double bookings "werent a problem".

As far as October... I don't know what the heck undercover tourist and the guidebooks are looking at...
It's awful...high crowds in reduced hours...Halloween parties shoved down your throat constantly.

Food and wine is mobbed by vacation club and Florida residents...uncomfortable.

Same for first week of November...we had our wedding there then... Went last year for a couple of days and won't go back.

Disney has even acknowledged this by raising the resort/ DVC rates in those periods several times.

Avoid October... Which is sad because it used to be maybe the best month to go and not have to fight or have people scream from the restaurant podiums what is essentially "go away!!!"

Half the tables are empty...but that's another story for another day.

My travel agent is saying system has been down all day (online and when she calls). So how are some getting things done and others not?

When I look on the website it says nothin available for free dining at the resorts. Is that because system down or is it because all free dining rooms are really gone??

So frustrating. I beginning to think I will just be staying offsite!

I got a busy signal when I called until a few minutes ago. I got through and was on hold for about 3 minutes. I was able to change to the new package and added a day. No problem and saved A decent amount versus the room only discount. Good luck to all and I hope you get what you are looking for!

Well, I have now been on hold for 1 hour, 55 mins (for the 2nd time today). Keeping my fingers crossed!!! I need pixie dust!!!!!!

At least you guys are getting through. I called some other number just to have some questions asked and he said the system is so over run that at 3 hour wait time they pretty much turn the system off and you get a message about calling back later. He did say if you already have a reservation that it can be modified with the new dining plan deal. He also said you can try online to modify your stuff that way, he said its about 50/50 with regards to it working at this time. If you already have reservations and can use the dining plan free at your time, to not fret too much on getting through. He says within the next couple days you should still be able to modify and apply the offer whether you take dining or the 30% off room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter