Free Dining 2014 Discussion ~ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing ressie from AS Sports to POP...on hold 30 mins and counting.

Thank you for the reassurance! I suppose I can only wait and see what's available on Wednesday. I feel I need to consider all possibilities as I'm worried I won't have time to think about it on Wednesday!
Once you get through, I've never felt rushed by a CM. They've taken their time to run multiple discounts, at different resorts and room categories. It's good to know what you might want but you'll have time to decide on the phone.

This may be a stupid question but is it safe to assume that if there's no availability when I check for my dates now then there also won't be when free dining is released? CSR only has king rooms available for our dates which is no use to us and also more expensive so we've settled on CBR. We had a chat today and my sister would have preferred CSR. Do they ever hold rooms back for free dining? I'm kind of hoping not, we had decided on POR until we found out it was excluded and have now settled on CBR. I don't think I have it in me to get excited about another resort!

I don't think it is always this way, but regarding CSR (which I am also hoping to book) there are open dates for only half our trip on their website. I do not have a Disney Visa so I couldn't book, but I called and asked if the CM could check the dates for me under the visa FD offer to see if they were different and she also wasn't showing any availability for our whole trip, just for the half portion that it was showing me on the website. So the dates on their site and the FD offer were the same. In this instance, it was safe to assume that if there wasn't availability now, there probably wouldn't be when they open the FD offer. There is a convention happening right at that time, so I am sure that's why it is blocked out. People can cancel reservations and open up rooms at other resorts, but if there is a convention, it'll stay blocked out. Maybe check your dates against convention dates to see if that is why it is blocked?

Technically you won't be "adding" free dining to your old booking, you'll initially be making a new booking and then cancelling the old one (although they'll probably be able to keep your existing reservation number).

Thus you may find you end up getting a different room category at some resorts, or even a whole new resort, to take advantage of the offer.

So what you have provisionally booked is really of no relevance at all. Quite the opposite in fact, as if a lot of people have already made provisional bookings at any given resort, or for a particular room category, then that will have used up a lot of the available room inventory which might otherwise have been assigned to the free dining offer if Disney felt it wasn't selling well.

I suspect that will have been partly the reason that POR and POFQ are not included; Disney saw that bookings there are already very healthy, so from a commercial point of view why give out freebies when they apparently don't need to?

Andre

Oh! This is so layered:) thank u for explaining.

I don't think it is always this way, but regarding CSR (which I am also hoping to book) there are open dates for only half our trip on their website. I do not have a Disney Visa so I couldn't book, but I called and asked if the CM could check the dates for me under the visa FD offer to see if they were different and she also wasn't showing any availability for our whole trip, just for the half portion that it was showing me on the website. So the dates on their site and the FD offer were the same. In this instance, it was safe to assume that if there wasn't availability now, there probably wouldn't be when they open the FD offer. There is a convention happening right at that time, so I am sure that's why it is blocked out. People can cancel reservations and open up rooms at other resorts, but if there is a convention, it'll stay blocked out. Maybe check your dates against convention dates to see if that is why it is blocked?
I had some similar thoughts on the conventions. Usually there is a book-by date when if not filled, the convention block is lifted and rooms could become available. Now whether or not they would fall into the FD bucket of rooms or RO or rack rate, who knows.

Reading all these posts on FD has my head spinning and my stomach churning. I am going through a TA that I love dealing with but I am on a PANIC that I may not get FD. I keep inking " what if?...they don't get through, they can't get me FD In time, they don't contact me if I need to change my resort and I lose FD ALL TOGETHER, I need to go to a deluxe (WL) to get FD instead of a moderate (CBR)?" Yeesh! I am making my self CRAZY:scared1:

How will I make it till Wednesday? Am I just being nuts? Has anyone ever had a TA not come through in the clinch? Must remember to breathe!

Reading all these posts on FD has my head spinning and my stomach churning. I am going through a TA that I love dealing with but I am on a PANIC that I may not get FD. I keep inking " what if?...they don't get through, they can't get me FD In time, they don't contact me if I need to change my resort and I lose FD ALL TOGETHER, I need to go to a deluxe (WL) to get FD instead of a moderate (CBR)?" Yeesh! I am making my self CRAZY:scared1:

How will I make it till Wednesday? Am I just being nuts? Has anyone ever had a TA not come through in the clinch? Must remember to breathe!

Really depends on your TA....are they someone that specializes (or better yet, ONLY does Disney reservations?) if so, probably no need to worry. but if your TA is AAA or someone who doesn't truly specialize, they may not even be AWARE of FD. I personally prefer to do my own so I don't have this type of worry, but if you do use a TA, be sure they SPECIALIZE in it....as in that's all they do. Every TA will tell you they specialize in whatever city/event you want to travel to, but Disney agents are like us, they live and breathe this stuff and know that FD was coming. The BEST Disney agents will get new discounts for their guests without the guest even having to ask!

Reading all these posts on FD has my head spinning and my stomach churning. I am going through a TA that I love dealing with but I am on a PANIC that I may not get FD. I keep inking " what if?...they don't get through, they can't get me FD In time, they don't contact me if I need to change my resort and I lose FD ALL TOGETHER, I need to go to a deluxe (WL) to get FD instead of a moderate (CBR)?" Yeesh! I am making my self CRAZY:scared1: How will I make it till Wednesday? Am I just being nuts? Has anyone ever had a TA not come through in the clinch? Must remember to breathe!
I totally understand, but that is exactly why I did not use a TA this year. I used one the past two years, and to reassure you, they came through no problems. But the wait was agonizing. I did not hear last year until about 36 hours after the release. I was quite nervous. Does he/she know all your options? Maybe make a list of resorts and room views you are ok with and send it to your TA. It might seem crazy but it will help you feel better about your chances especially if it requires a move.

If I check in Nov 20 and check out Nov 24 would I get FD or is whole Thanksgiving week blacked out?

If I check in Nov 20 and check out Nov 24 would I get FD or is whole Thanksgiving week blacked out?

yes, if you check in on a date that FD is offered you will get it for the whole trip even though the black out date starts ( in your case) the day after you check in

This may be a stupid question but is it safe to assume that if there's no availability when I check for my dates now then there also won't be when free dining is released? CSR only has king rooms available for our dates which is no use to us and also more expensive so we've settled on CBR. We had a chat today and my sister would have preferred CSR. Do they ever hold rooms back for free dining? I'm kind of hoping not, we had decided on POR until we found out it was excluded and have now settled on CBR. I don't think I have it in me to get excited about another resort!

I am wondering the same thing. CSR on my dates only shows a junior suite available! I *think* I have read earlier in this thread that more rooms get released for the GP date. Wednesday can't come soon enough!

Try to relax. We have gone the last 4 years with FD in September or October. One of those trips was booked 2 weeks after FD came out and the other 3 were booked 1-2 months after FD was released. I know every year is different but I think it's a little early to be worrying too much.

SoRry f this has been answered but im getting confused..

If you pay the extra money for like animal kingdom Instead of like either of the lesser resort options... do you get the FD that includes 3 meals a day or do you just get the one with 1 meal and 1 quick service Snack?

And then you have to pay to upgrade.

ALSO.. on the day when i rebook to get FD (which luckily for me is at 8pm our time) where abouts on Disneys website will it be. Like on the main page? Or under special offers?? Etc etc..
Thanks alot I know this has probably been asked a million times

SoRry f this has been answered but im getting confused.. If you pay the extra money for like animal kingdom Instead of like either of the lesser resort options... do you get the FD that includes 3 meals a day or do you just get the one with 1 meal and 1 quick service Snack? And then you have to pay to upgrade. ALSO.. on the day when i rebook to get FD (which luckily for me is at 8pm our time) where abouts on Disneys website will it be. Like on the main page? Or under special offers?? Etc etc.. Thanks alot I know this has probably been asked a million times
Deluxe and moderates get the plan with one table service meal, one counter service, and one snack per night. It will be on the special offers page. But you can't change an existing reservation online, just make a new one. To change a current reservation, you have to call.

Try to relax. We have gone the last 4 years with FD in September or October. One of those trips was booked 2 weeks after FD came out and the other 3 were booked 1-2 months after FD was released. I know every year is different but I think it's a little early to be worrying too much.

lol the funny part is I am freaking out too, although the same as you I have booked 2009, 2010, and 2012 FD usually 3 to 4 months before going, so def never as FD came out. I think the unknown makes us all a little crazy :) hopefully everything will be good though.

I have changed my reservation so many times already, 3 hotels in the past week and most likely will be doing it one more time lol

This may be off topic somewhat, but someone a while back(sorry I can't be more specific; this thing has moved too fast) posted a link to the thread where people post their ADR's, and when they are going to cancel so that others can grab them. I thought I had subscribed, but apparently I hadn't. Does anyone know?

This may be off topic somewhat, but someone a while back(sorry I can't be more specific; this thing has moved too fast) posted a link to the thread where people post their ADR's, and when they are going to cancel so that others can grab them. I thought I had subscribed, but apparently I hadn't. Does anyone know?

Here you go. This is the general Dining Reservations board. There are individual threads for each month. You didn't specify which month you're looking for or I would have linked that thread. HTH :thumbsup2

http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter