• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Dining '10 Update: Disney Visa FD Released (See pages 1 & 57+ for details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are hoping for the Free Dining as well. We are booked at POP from August 18-27 with Dining Plan for 2 adults to children.All ADRs are made at great times at all the locations we wanted. I hope the Free Dining covers the Values or I can upgrade to Moderate and still save a bit but it would be nominal. :wizard: Please Mr Disney, let us have our Free Dining. :rotfl2: But at the end of the day ..... WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

From today's INTERCOT Insider Newsletter
http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insider/archive/2010/02-01.asp

With the recent increase in popularity of the Disney Dining Plan, the online Disney community has been abuzz with discussions on the pros and cons around the increased need for Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR) that has come along with it. Most people seem to feel that you can no longer travel to Walt Disney World without having every meal planned out in advance (180 days in advance, to be specific) lest you risk having to dine on cheeseburgers and french fries for every meal.

So, on our recent January 2010 trip, we decided to put that theory to the test. Don our “Mythbusters” hats, if you will, and learn for ourselves whether or not a “wing it” style trip to Disney was still possible. We made not a single ADR for our entire stay. Not one. We decided that we were just going to fly by the seats of our pants and hope for the best. Tired of being slaves to our dining reservations and having to say things like, "Sorry kids. You don't have time to meet Mickey, because we just have to get to Epcot or we'll miss our ADR!", we were going to boldly go where no family had gone before … an ADR-free trip to Disney. Can it be done? “Ridiculous”, you might say. “I bet they ate cold chicken fingers and greasy fast-food fish and chips the entire trip!” Well … not so fast …

So what was the result of our myth-busting? Was it myth confirmed or myth busted?

Well let me assure you that our testing showed this myth to be well and truly busted! In fact, what if I told you that we were able to eat breakfast at Ohana, Hollywood & Vine, and 1900 Park Fare, dinner at Teppan Edo, Le Cellier and Chefs De France, lunch at Rainforest Cafe and The Plaza Restaurant, and even have ice cream and snacks at Beaches & Cream? All without a single ADR. Would this shock you? Would you cry foul and think we simply must have called ahead at least once or twice, right? I mean who gets into Le Cellier for dinner with no ADR? It’s unheard of!

Well we did. You can check my cell phone log. Not one call to 1-407-WDW-DINE. And boy was it really great not having to worry about being in a certain place at a certain time. We ate when we got hungry and picked a place close by and we were never turned away. Not once. And best of all we never had to say to the kids, “Sorry! You don't have time to meet Mickey, because we just have to get to Epcot or we'll miss our ADR.”

One thing I should point out, though, is that January is historically a pretty slow month in terms of crowds. I’m not sure yet if I would try this approach during the summer or over Christmas. But from now on, when we go during a slow, time we are definitely passing on the ADR's and winging-it all the way!

From today's INTERCOT Insider Newsletter
http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insider/archive/2010/02-01.asp

With the recent increase in popularity of the Disney Dining Plan, the online Disney community has been abuzz with discussions on the pros and cons around the increased need for Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR) that has come along with it. Most people seem to feel that you can no longer travel to Walt Disney World without having every meal planned out in advance (180 days in advance, to be specific) lest you risk having to dine on cheeseburgers and french fries for every meal.

So, on our recent January 2010 trip, we decided to put that theory to the test. Don our “Mythbusters” hats, if you will, and learn for ourselves whether or not a “wing it” style trip to Disney was still possible. We made not a single ADR for our entire stay. Not one. We decided that we were just going to fly by the seats of our pants and hope for the best. Tired of being slaves to our dining reservations and having to say things like, "Sorry kids. You don't have time to meet Mickey, because we just have to get to Epcot or we'll miss our ADR!", we were going to boldly go where no family had gone before … an ADR-free trip to Disney. Can it be done? “Ridiculous”, you might say. “I bet they ate cold chicken fingers and greasy fast-food fish and chips the entire trip!” Well … not so fast …

So what was the result of our myth-busting? Was it myth confirmed or myth busted?

Well let me assure you that our testing showed this myth to be well and truly busted! In fact, what if I told you that we were able to eat breakfast at Ohana, Hollywood & Vine, and 1900 Park Fare, dinner at Teppan Edo, Le Cellier and Chefs De France, lunch at Rainforest Cafe and The Plaza Restaurant, and even have ice cream and snacks at Beaches & Cream? All without a single ADR. Would this shock you? Would you cry foul and think we simply must have called ahead at least once or twice, right? I mean who gets into Le Cellier for dinner with no ADR? It’s unheard of!

Well we did. You can check my cell phone log. Not one call to 1-407-WDW-DINE. And boy was it really great not having to worry about being in a certain place at a certain time. We ate when we got hungry and picked a place close by and we were never turned away. Not once. And best of all we never had to say to the kids, “Sorry! You don't have time to meet Mickey, because we just have to get to Epcot or we'll miss our ADR.”

One thing I should point out, though, is that January is historically a pretty slow month in terms of crowds. I’m not sure yet if I would try this approach during the summer or over Christmas. But from now on, when we go during a slow, time we are definitely passing on the ADR's and winging-it all the way!
Wow. We have tried that, but we never got to eat any great place. But, we also normally go in March. That is awesome to know.

This really is impressive. We had ADRs one year but still tried to get into a couple of places - Chef Mickey's, Akershus, Le Cellier and a couple of others (in late January) and we were categorically turned away. The people at Chef Mickey's acted like we showed up at the White House and requested an audience with the President!!! It's cool to know that it could happen (vacation without ADRs)...

January is historically a pretty slow month in terms of crowds. I’m not sure yet if I would try this approach during the summer or over Christmas

DW thought I was nuts when I was making ressies (90+10 days in advanced ... they changed it from 180) for our trip last August. So to prove my point we "winged" it one day @ DHS .... we were ceremoniously DENIED @ every single TS establishment (SOME RATHER RUDELY I MIGHT ADD ... the folks at Brown Derby outright laughed at her when she said she didn't have ADR's .... after I regained my composure and the CM finished crapping his pants from my gentlemanly response ... she caved in and admitted I was right)

Needless to say we settled for snacks & pastries for breakfast and where resigned to eating L & D @ Pizza Planet

and yes we walked to each and every TS ... she hates admitting I'm right

So in closing yeah Non-ADR Dining would probably work in January but never during summer and NOT IN THIS LIFETIME during Free Dining

We can't make ADRs until Monday.....since we go at the end of the FD booking window. I have them all ready though...can't wait!!!

As others have said, you can get by without ADRs at times during the year, but other times you are going to be out of luck. Just try to go for a week without ADRs during FD in August. Ha ha! You will be eating counter service the entire trip and cursing under your breath as you watch others enjoy the TS restaurants with their ADRs.

DW thought I was nuts when I was making ressies (90+10 days in advanced ... they changed it from 180) for our trip last August. So to prove my point we "winged" it one day @ DHS .... we were ceremoniously DENIED @ every single TS establishment (SOME RATHER RUDELY I MIGHT ADD ... the folks at Brown Derby outright laughed at her when she said she didn't have ADR's .... after I regained my composure and the CM finished crapping his pants from my gentlemanly response ... she caved in and admitted I was right)

Needless to say we settled for snacks & pastries for breakfast and where resigned to eating L & D @ Pizza Planet

and yes we walked to each and every TS ... she hates admitting I'm right

So in closing yeah Non-ADR Dining would probably work in January but never during summer and NOT IN THIS LIFETIME during Free Dining

...off-topic, but nice avi pic...:thumbsup2

We went last year in late October, so not regular free dining time but we had a Disney visa free dining offer. We had all our ADRs planned out, but wound up changing our mind on our plans for a couple of days. We were seated immediately for lunch at Rose and Crown (on a Sunday during F&W) and lunch at the Plaza. Chef Mickey's though, would have been another story I'm afraid.

I am hoping to get this deal before DD starts school - I hadn't planned on going but want to so bad but the $$$ wasn't there for us to go based on the deals that were out there.....so crossing my fingers!

I would lOVE to be able to go this August but DH says it won't happen unless there is free dining. DH and I were just there end of Feb. We both want to take the kids this summer but can't justify it without a great deal.:sad2: Come on Disney I am waiting and watching:rolleyes:

I would lOVE to be able to go this August but DH says it won't happen unless there is free dining. DH and I were just there end of Feb. We both want to take the kids this summer but can't justify it without a great deal.:sad2: Come on Disney I am waiting and watching:rolleyes:

Good Luck: I am routing for you guys!!!:wizard::wizard:

I have booked a location off site and got a good size room with breakfast included. The room has a bedroom with 2 Queen Size beds a living room and a kitchen (no oven). It is only 1 1/2 miles from the main gate I guess, but if I could get the regular free dining then I would go for it. Last year we went in December and I got regular free dining at POP as well as a room discount as my husband had some sort of pin assigned to his name. I didn't have one, but he did and he hadn't been for about 15 years. I have been every year for the last 6 years. It was only 3 of us at POP last year and we felt cramped. This year DH is staying home and I am taking my DD, Mom and niece and I don't feel that a POP room is big enough to feel comfortable. I might consider it with free dining though. I told my Mom that I will cancel our outside hotel if we get a really good offer for on site. I have decided that I will never go again though without having a rental car. For just a little over $200.00 I will feel like I have much more freedom and everyone wants to go to SeaWorld on this trip too. I will not be overly disappointed without a deal, but...............

I'm hoping free dining will be August and September this year like it had been in previous years... we went to WDW in October last year hoping to avoid the crowds from free dining and it was VERY crowded. I understand a lot of people depend on free dining so I don't think Disney should do away with it completely, but I think it makes it hard for those of us who don't get it and try to plan our trips around it to avoid restaurant congestion and crowds when Disney decides to extend it longer than usual. I also think that the Dining Plan in general has ruined some of the great service and food that the restaurants used to have. Don't get me wrong...I've used the DDP before and have saved a LOT of money doing it. I just wish there was a happy medium where we could save money and not sacrifice the quality of food and service at the same time. I also think that the quality and service is even worse during free dining because there are so many more people eating at the restaurants...

We've planned a trip for the very end of October 2010 so hopefully we'll be able to enjoy the F&W Festival without the crazy dining crowds. :-) I hope I don't make too many enemies with this post...It's just my opinion. :-)

No enemys here:hippie:

I agree that FD probably does lower the food quality and service but I think Disney does not care as long as the promo brings in people and $$$.
It will bring in our $$ if offered.:rolleyes1

I'm hoping free dining will be August and September this year like it had been in previous years... we went to WDW in October last year hoping to avoid the crowds from free dining and it was VERY crowded. I understand a lot of people depend on free dining so I don't think Disney should do away with it completely, but I think it makes it hard for those of us who don't get it and try to plan our trips around it to avoid restaurant congestion and crowds when Disney decides to extend it longer than usual. I also think that the Dining Plan in general has ruined some of the great service and food that the restaurants used to have. Don't get me wrong...I've used the DDP before and have saved a LOT of money doing it. I just wish there was a happy medium where we could save money and not sacrifice the quality of food and service at the same time. I also think that the quality and service is even worse during free dining because there are so many more people eating at the restaurants...

We've planned a trip for the very end of October 2010 so hopefully we'll be able to enjoy the F&W Festival without the crazy dining crowds. :-) I hope I don't make too many enemies with this post...It's just my opinion. :-)
Well, I am not sure if I agree or disagree. I know that the dining plan is free, but you still have to tip the wait staff. I mean, some of the countries in EPCOT (i.e. Morocco)...I love there food, but I have never been crazy about their customer service.

I am sure you didn't make enemies....you were stating your opinion and what you have personally experienced.

We have been eating at Disney for many years, before the DDP, after the DDP and three times for free dining and the food and service have always been good - pre-DDP, post DDP and during free dining.

We have been eating at Disney for many years, before the DDP, after the DDP and three times for free dining and the food and service have always been good - pre-DDP, post DDP and during free dining.

I agree, we haven't noticed any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter