Free day?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
For those of you who have lost weight, and kept it off, have any of you been successful at incorporating a free day, where you stayed strict to your eating 6 days a week and on the 7th day (or one day that week) you ate whatever you wanted? Thoughts on this approach?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Yes and no. This actually works well for me when I am maintaining. But in order to lose, I need to be conscious of every bite I take for 7 out of 7 days. That isn't to say that I never indulge. I do. (And even programs like weight watchers tell you to indulge from time to time.) The idea is you have to PLAN for it. If I know that I am going to have pizza on a certain night, I make sure that I eat light for the day leading up to dinner, I make sure I am drinking enough water to flush the sodium out of my system, I might add a couple of extra miles to my run or something like that.

But when I am in "loss" mode, no, I never have a day where I just eat like all get out.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! This makes sense. I am shooting for 1300 calories a day, so if I want to go out to eat on Saturday, eat light meals leading up to the evening, and allow myself say 1800 calories for that day instead of 1300 calories. But keep counting calories for the day just allow myself more for dinner? That way it isn't a free day but it allows me to splurge once a week without taking in too many calories, so I'll continue to lose weight, right?

Yes and no. This actually works well for me when I am maintaining. But in order to lose, I need to be conscious of every bite I take for 7 out of 7 days. That isn't to say that I never indulge. I do. (And even programs like weight watchers tell you to indulge from time to time.) The idea is you have to PLAN for it. If I know that I am going to have pizza on a certain night, I make sure that I eat light for the day leading up to dinner, I make sure I am drinking enough water to flush the sodium out of my system, I might add a couple of extra miles to my run or something like that.

But when I am in "loss" mode, no, I never have a day where I just eat like all get out.

Hope this helps.

Perhaps.

My caution is to not think since it's working then try pushing by doing even more in the unhealthy choice department. I can say that does not work. At least, from my experience.
:eek:

It is a lifestyle change we seek to make healthy and healthier choices. Planning for extras on a particular day may keep your body guessing what it's getting and actually be a good way to trick it into not getting to that plateau, rather it may help to push onward and downward. You could also increase your activity on the day you have planned extra calories.

Be mindful and I think you'll be doing well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter