Free/Cheap Movies for Kindle Fire? or alternative?

mjlewis23

Mouseketeer
Hi, my family and I are taking a roadtrip from MI to FL in a few weeks for a cruise and WDW vacation. I have a teen and a 3 year old. I have one portable DVD player, but I'm looking for another solution as well in case both kids are bored out of their minds at the same time. Reading is out of the question, as both kids get carsick :crazy2: (why are we driving 1200 miles then???:confused3) Anyways, I see a few ways to download movies/tv shows to my Kindle Fire, but none of them look legit aside from paying full price from Amazon. Any suggestions?

Does your cable provider offer the ability to take recordings with you? If not, what about conversation, or yes, renting an Amazon movie or two?

Does your cable provider offer the ability to take recordings with you? If not, what about conversation, or yes, renting an Amazon movie or two?

Can you rent movies from Amazon that are downloaded to a NOT Kindle device and not streaming? I have a similar problem to the OP..although I don't mind paying. I can find options for renting as a download for the Fire but not for downloading to a laptop.

Take a look at Flixster. You can rent movies and download them to your mobile device (I watch movies on my phone), or laptop (PC or Mac). Plus it ties in with your Ultraviolet account so you can download those movies if you have them in that format as well.

I'm not sure what version of the Fire you have, or how much stuff you have on it but each Flixster movie is like 800mb or so. Your mileage may vary on how many movies you can store.

Keep in mind, your rental will expire 24 hours from when you start it(your rental period doesn't activate until you actually play the movie), so you'll have to have enough rentals for both the trip down and the trip back.

Does it have to be movies, or will TV shows be okay?

I recommend the app DroidTV. It's a free app, with a 2 week free trial period. After that, I think it's $3 a month? (I have the lifetime subscription, so not too sure.) Anyway, you can download virtually any TV show when you have access to a Wi-Fi connection. You can replay them at any time, since the shows are stored right on the device. Depending on how much memory you have on your device, you can store hundreds of shows.

This app actually helped me make the decision to drop my DirecTV, since all of the shows we watch are available on it. I "cast" the tablet directly to my TV if I want to watch on the bigger screen.

Oh wow, Sherry, yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for! I would actually *rather* have TV shows, since that's what will probably keep the little one's attention the longest. I'm going to go check it out. I don't mind paying, just don't want to spend $100 for the week:-)

If you have Amazon Prime there are some movies you can download directly to your kindle fire. On your kindle go to Videos, scroll down to More, then videos to download. Click on a title you want and then click d
ownload. It will show up in your video library.

How about audiobooks? I get very carsick, and even watching a movie would be tough for me, but I can always listen.

The Harry Potter series is FABULOUS on audio, as is the Golden Compass series (many others, as well).

Your local library can provide them for you either inhouse or through interlibrary loan. Otherwise audible.com is great, too.

Oh, and I can download movies from Amazon Prime to my new Kindle Fire HD, but not to my first generation Fire (only streaming on that one). Just an FYI.

Terri

How about your library? Our library lets you borrow movies, audio books and music as well as books thru the app Overdrive. Just need a library card.

I'm not the OP but thanks for the Flickster idea. And the audio book suggestion is GREAT!..My grandson loves to listen to books and I'm sure your kids will too.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I am a Prime member. I had no idea I could download shows and movies for free to watch later! I knew I could stream them, but thanks for the suggestion on downloading. I did that last night and it worked like a charm!

I also love the audiobook idea. I don't think it will be enough to keep my 3 year old's attention, but would be great for the 15 year old!

I will also check out our library:-).

Oh wow, Sherry, yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for! I would actually *rather* have TV shows, since that's what will probably keep the little one's attention the longest. I'm going to go check it out. I don't mind paying, just don't want to spend $100 for the week:-)

Unfortunately, DroidTV doesn't really have kid shows, so it might be a better option for the teen.

I know you wanted free, but we have done Redbox for the portable DVD player. You rent them for I think its $1.25 and can return them anywhere when you are finished. Also Cracker Barrel rents audio-books. You buy the book and then get your money back minus a small rental fee when you return it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter