Free/cheap activities at WDW

Cheryl-Lynne

Mouseketeer
We are a family of 4 (DH, DW, DD 10, DS 13). We are staying at POR, but don't plan to visit the parks everyday. Does anyone have activities (that are reasonable) that you know of that we can do on the days we are not at the parks?
Thanks in advance :cutie:

POR has a nice pool and nice running/walking trails. There's also some kind of fishing thing over near the pool, but on the river, where you can borrow poles... I think it's mostly for the kids.

Definitely take the (free) boat ride over to Downtown Disney. While you're there, check out the Lego store at DTD... there's a gigantic sea monster made out of Lego in the water (lake? River? not sure what they call it there) and, outdoors under a roof by the store, lots of Legos on tables to play with. Free fun!

Another thing you might like to to is take buses over to some of the other resorts (take bus from POR to a park, then transfer to a bus or monorail to get to your destination). Go to Animal Kingdom Lodge to view animals on the savannahs, or go to the Polynesian at night and watch the Electrical Water Pageant and the MK fireworks from the beach.

There is a campfire singalong at Fort Wilderness in the evening. If I remember correctly, Chip and Dale are there. To attend is free. You can purchase marshmallow to roast and they are really cheap...around $3.

How about watching the fireworks from the Poly or CBR....FREE.

Stroll around the Boardwalk.....there are a few entertainers there.

I second the above ideas!

* Resort Hopping! We love visiting other resorts for a stroll and a meal.

* Character Meals at resorts

* PO to DTD on the boat is lovely....visit the Earl of Sandwich for a meal. It's so reasonable and delish!

* Rent Sea Raycer's. Your kids are old enough to drive them with an adult passenger!

* Walk around the Broadwalk at night

When we were there is Dec the Beach Club had movies on the beach with a bonfire. It was awesome with all the lights on the Boardwalk.

Rent bikes at Ft Wilderness. Some people go all out decorating their sites in Disney gear, it's really neat to see.

Buskers are the Boardwalk

When we were there is Dec the Beach Club had movies on the beach with a bonfire. It was awesome with all the lights on the Boardwalk.

Rent bikes at Ft Wilderness. Some people go all out decorating their sites in Disney gear, it's really neat to see.

Buskers are the Boardwalk

Now that you remind me, I'm sure you can rent bikes right at POR (since OP is staying there) I think it's about $20 for the day. They also have a carriage ride that goes all around the resort at night, but that's pricier.

Pick up a copy of the Hidden Mickey book. A great scavenger hunt for going around resorts, downtown or while waiting for lines at parks. We spent hours along the monorail resorts on our last trip just looking for Mickeys and exploring.

Go to the Dis design thread on these boards

Maybe you and kids could make a Tye Dye Mickey T-shirt before going.

Segway tour at Fort-Wilderness. expensive but GREAT!!

Research one of the resorts and make up a treasure hunt . I did this for sons and nephew on Tom Sawyers Island.

Take a family carriage ride at POR -- paid 35.00 in March 08.

Have fun planning
Hugs Mel

If you like monorails....take a little monorail tour around Seven Seas Lagoon and then to Epcot then back to TTC. Ride up front with the CM and ask for a co-pilots license. All of that is FREE!

You can get off at each monorail resort for a drink, snack or shopping. Sandra

We enjoy a day off from the parks swimming and relaxing by the pool at the resort.

You can always window shop at the Mall at Millenia

mallatmillenia.jpg

One of our favourite activities at Disney is to tour the monorail and check out all teh resorts there then ride the boat over to Wilderness lodge and meander around the grounds and the resort then head over to Fort Wilderness and do the same. We then hop the bus to DTD and hop on the bus to Boardwalk and stroll around the BW resort and The Yacht and Beach club and then over to the swan and dolphin. It is a great relaxing day and it is free. We really love doing this in Dec when we are there as you get to see all teh resorts all decked out for the holidays.

Mini golf its pretty cheap and interesting if you havent done that before
theres two @ WDW Winter Summerland (take the Blizzard Beach Bus) Fantasia Gardens walk from the boardwalk

Explore downtown Disney. Relax at the resort. Do the monorails, the boat. Check out the boardwalk.

You could spend a day the Disney Wilderness Preserve.

I believe you would need good footwear, hats and sunscreen.

Disney Wilderness Preserve
407-935-0002
Open M-F 9-5
Closed major holidays
$3.00 for adults

Go to Harry P Leu Gardens

Monday morning between 9 and 12 – free admission
1920 N Forest Avenue, Orlando, FL 32803-1527

Phone: 407-246-2620

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter