• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FREE Budget meals

heathersmom

Earning My Ears
we are getting the "free" meals for the first time, granted they are only the cheapest meals b/c we are staying at POP Century but still....should we or do we have to make reservations? As I said--usually when we go we eat at vendors in the park-- we have never had a "sit down meal" in Disney! Please advise me--I would love to try the 50's diner or the sci-fi diner...and of course the Mexican food in Epcot is always our favorite!

unless you upgraded and paid more you have the quick service dinning plan. You don't get free table service resturants, the ones you make reservations at. You get the resturants that you just go to and order.

Im trying to find the link the shows the differnt types of dining. But, no luck!

Quick Service sounds like what you have and you dont need reservations.

Table Service is for places like Sci Fi, the 50's diner and other "sit down" places. You would need reservations for those IDEALLY but not mandatory

But it sounds like your plan probably does not include Table Service. Forgive me if I misunderstood your question ... ;)

we are getting the "free" meals for the first time, granted they are only the cheapest meals b/c we are staying at POP Century but still....should we or do we have to make reservations? As I said--usually when we go we eat at vendors in the park-- we have never had a "sit down meal" in Disney! Please advise me--I would love to try the 50's diner or the sci-fi diner...and of course the Mexican food in Epcot is always our favorite!

It's a really good idea to get reservations before you leave. You might be able to get reservations after you get there, but you likely will NOT be able to walk up to a restaurant and be seated. So yes - get ADRs before you go.

We are staying at Pop for free dining-- and every place is available to us-- as is the whole menu. (I dont understand what you meant by the cheapest meals because you are staying at Pop)

We had to upgrade the quick service to the regular dining for 10.00 pp per day.

the quick service will allow you two counter services every day.
You do not need reservations to dine at those.

You have free dining. That allows you to eat at almost all restaurants all over WDW, not just at POP. For free you get counter service dining such as the cafe at POP or any other counter service around WDW.

For $10 more per person per night you can upgrade to the Table Service dining. That would allow you to eat at Sci-Fi or most any other table service sit down restaurant around WDW.

However, you would need to book reservations NOW!! You can book up to 180 days out. Many restaurants fill up very quickly months in advance so book what you wnat immediatly if your trip is 180 days away or less. Book online as its much easier to see whats available than calling.

As the above poster said you get the quick service (fast food) free but you have to upgrade to have one sit down meal a day which does require reservations.

BUT... to me it is worth the extra $10 a person a day!! :goodvibes You still get one quick service meal then you get one sit down meal.... But make ressies NOW!!!!!!! I would upgrade if you can!

princssdisnygina said:
BUT... to me it is worth the extra $10 a person a day!! :goodvibes You still get one quick service meal then you get one sit down meal.... But make ressies NOW!!!!!!! I would upgrade if you can!
I'm the exact opposite. I don't think it's worth it to upgrade. Maybe I'm
still spoiled from when they offered appys and gratuity when you had the dining plan. It was before quick service dining plan. For us staying 6 nights it was going to add $150. Since we only care about eating at Ohanas for 2 nights we are there and the $150 would cover that for 2, for 2 nights. Keeping QSDP is better. Plus we keep our extra CS meals not to mention mugs and extra snacks. Plus now I don't have to budget in tip money too.

When staying at a value resort you get the QSDP free. Only counter service places are included in that. The restaurants you mentioned are table service and are not included in your plan. You can upgrade to the regular plan for $10per day which would give you 1 table service meal each night of your stay.

counter service do not need reservations but table service do

If you intend to eat at table service restaurants (the kind where you order from a server and they bring your food) or a buffet, then yes, you should have reservations.

If you're getting a free plan at Pop Century, it's the quick service plan, which includes only counter service restaurants (the kind where you order from a counter, pick up the food and carry it to the table yourself). Reservations are not accepted or needed for that type of restaurant. If you want a dining plan that covers table service, you can upgrade your free plan to the basic or deluxe plans for an extra charge.

You can also keep the quick service plan and pay extra for just those table service restaurants you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter