Free Antivirus Software?

GoofyMomInOhio

DIS Veteran
After reading on the Theme Parks board that my ticker might have caused virus problems, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, reliable sites to download free antivirus software. Anyone know any good sites? Thanks!

I just downloaded one that I got free its called AVG anti-virus

just googled free anti-virus software and found it...my cable company said that they have a very good reputation

we've used AVG for 5+ years and it's been very reliable. We've toyed around with Avast with luck but still went back to AVG. I think cnet rates them both highly.

we've used AVG for 5+ years and it's been very reliable. We've toyed around with Avast with luck but still went back to AVG. I think cnet rates them both highly.

Completely agree. Get AVG. Don't mess with advast, its a good one but slows down a system like Macafee. AVG can be found CNET. When you go download it, keep looking for the free option. They have pay version and try and push it.

Thanks for all the help! I downloaded the free AVG last night and ran the scan. It found a trojan horse and a few other things on my hard drive. Not sure where I picked them up from but I'm really glad they are gone now. Thanks again!!

Completely agree. Get AVG. Don't mess with advast, its a good one but slows down a system like Macafee. AVG can be found CNET. When you go download it, keep looking for the free option. They have pay version and try and push it.

I have Avast and it doesn't slow down my system at all. I also downloaded from CNET.

Free Avast found trojans on my system that the McAfee I paid for failed to find.

If you are worried you might already have a virus, download Malwarebytes and run it, and also downloading and running Stinger. You can (or might have to) run them from Safe Mode if you have a particularly nasty virus onboard.

Personally, once I cleaned up our fiasco of a machine with those two pieces of software (we had a foul piece of malware on it), I started running AVG and haven't had any problems since. My BIL, who is in IT, highly recommended it when I asked what antivirus software he runs. :thumbsup2

Good luck, and if you find you have trouble getting antivirus software to run, it's sometimes a strong indicator that your PC is already infected with something (ie: can't install/download/activate your AV software), which is why I mentioned the first stuff. :)

ETA: We were running McAfee, paid version, when we had our issue with trojans...FWIW. I had it set to update virus defs automatically, but clearly it didn't pick up on some trojan...ended up not being able to open an IE window and getting funky pop-ups. Cleaned up the machine as described above, and no problems since.

Avira was annoying, there were too many pop-ups asking me to upgrade. I use Avast now and I like it, doesn't slow things down for me.

I had always used AVG, but then I took it into a computer shop and needed a new hard drive, and they said oh, don't use that, I should use Microsoft Security, which they loaded for me. I don't know if one is better than the other or not. I never really heard anything about Microsoft Security.

My computer though is really lagging lately for some reason, and I'm wondering if I have a virus. Can you run something like malwarebytes or stinger when you already have a virus program running in your background?

AVG has many "openings" that have recently been exposed. I do computer repair as a side gig and I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for your "instant-on" protection. If you are having computer issues, there are a few steps you need to do before running a scan.

My "tool bag" includes:
Hi-Jack This
Malware-Bytes
Super Anti-Spyware
Spybot Search & Destroy

Always run your scans in safe mode. I also recommend using rkil.exe (google it) and run this before running your scan as it will kill any processes that may interrupt your scan. Hope this brief info helps some people out!

How do you run in safe mode? I must have a problem too.Everytime I download a spyware or vivus program its saved to my desktop for easy access. After downloading it a new box appears asking a program it needs to run aplication. I have never in my life had to go threw this to open anything including my picture program and mcafee it take you to all dead ends.Do we have any options at this point.Not a computer person just know the basics.

How do you run in safe mode? I must have a problem too.Everytime I download a spyware or vivus program its saved to my desktop for easy access. After downloading it a new box appears asking a program it needs to run aplication. I have never in my life had to go threw this to open anything including my picture program and mcafee it take you to all dead ends.Do we have any options at this point.Not a computer person just know the basics.

Safe mode (and the theory applies to Macs too) is a mode your computer starts in that eliminates many programs that start automatically. It is a stripped down basic version of Windows. You wouldn't want to use this for your every day work, but is handy to eliminate problems and run in a safe environment for things like virus scans.

Press F8 key on your keyboard just after you turn it on. Either press and hold and tap it quickly. After a few seconds a menu will appear and give you the option to start in safe mode. There will be a couple choices, pick the one labeled just "safe mode".

Now run your anti-virus program or other program.

When you get a dialog box asking for your permission to run, this is normal. Most people use Windows as an administrator, meaning you have full permission to do whatever you want. (Including very bad things) When in safe mode, you do not have those same permissions, so you have to OK your choices. Obviously it is much safer to acknowledge everything your computer is doing, but people find it annoying and run in modes with this reduced or limited. (An extremely simplified explanation of what is really going on)

You may want to check to see if your Internet Service Provider offers free virus protection downloads. Most of them do. Comcast has download of Norton for free.

I have Avast and it doesn't slow down my system at all. I also downloaded from CNET.

Free Avast found trojans on my system that the McAfee I paid for failed to find.

We've also been happily using Avast for the last two years. Works great on DW's laptop and on the family desktop. Have used it with XP, Vista, and Seven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter