Fred and Wilma - They're Back and They're Child Free (Day 10 - Celebration Tour)

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Saturday 4th September

It was an incredibly peaceful start to the day and, as a result, we actually slept in until nearly 9. Feeling pretty pleased with ourselves that the neighbours had taken the hint, we showered and dressed and left the room, bumping into the new occupants of the room who had obviously arrived the previous day. Oops :guilty: I hastily said that I hoped we hadn’t disturbed them the night before and was relieved when they said they’d been out late themselves and hadn’t heard a thing.

We made the long trek to fetch the car and drove down to the 192, where we had a Segway tour of Celebration booked with ZE Tours. I had read about the Celebration tour on the DIS and it sounded great. We hadn’t visited Celebration before and had always wanted to so what better way to do it. At $55 each for a 100-minute tour, it was a real bargain too. Our tour was booked for 11 and we arrived right on time. After a minor issue over payment – they had put their prices up since we booked and tried to charge us the increased price – we were soon undertaking familiarisation training before being allowed out onto the open road.

Our guide told us that he would lead us down the 192 to Celebration, sticking to the sidewalks. When it came to crossing the road, he said he would cross first, then beckon us across when it was safe and for us to not worry about checking to see if the road was clear. I had a really hard time with putting my life in his hands and had to check for myself before I would cross [rotfl] I did feel a little self-conscious riding the Segway down such a busy road (especially as the helmets are not the most flattering) but we were soon in the quieter streets leading to Celebration and I relaxed a bit. It was very peaceful and there were some gorgeous houses. Our guide, Jose, took us down some paths through a wooded area and towards the Celebration lake.

DSCF6365.jpg

DSCF6362.jpg

DSCF6364.jpg

We stopped to feed some squirrels and couldn’t believe how tame they were, coming right up to us and taking nuts out of our hands.

DSCF6367.jpg

DSCF6371.jpg

DSCF6369.jpg

It was a really peaceful and beautiful place. We continued our tour of Celebration and Jose told us a little bit about the place and its history. We had plenty of opportunity to stop and take photographs and generally just admire our surroundings.

DSCF6373.jpg

DSCF6376.jpg

DSCF6380.jpg

DSCF6383.jpg

DSCF6385.jpg

After completing our circuit of Celebration, it was time to head back and Jose led the way. This time I was feeling a lot more confident about being out on the main roads and we managed to get up a bit of speed since the Segways didn’t have a limited speed set on them like the ones at Disney..

Back at the training centre, we reluctantly handed back our Segways and, with our helmet hair, set off in search of some lunch.

Gary still needed his Fribble shake fix so we decided on Friendly’s and had a lovely lunch.

A vanilla Fribble and salad for Gary

DSCF6386.jpg

DSCF6389.jpg

And a chocolate Fribble and honey BBQ chicken melt for me

DSCF6387.jpg

DSCF6390.jpg

A nice healthy lunch ;)

We didn’t have any plans for the afternoon so decided to chill by the pool again. The quiet pool was not so quiet this afternoon – clearly, everyone had the same idea. We managed to grab a couple of loungers, although they weren’t in the shade so we spent a lot of the time in the water trying to cool off. Sadly, the water was so warm it was like a bathtub and not particularly refreshing. We got chatting to a lovely lady who was on her own as her husband was in the room catching up on work. We talked about books and films and Disney and, before we knew it, several hours had passed. We said goodbye to our new friend and headed back to the room for showers, after sun and a little snooze. When we woke up it was getting late and we were both a bit peckish so we set off out in search of food. We ended up at Smokey Bones, somewhere we’d never been before, and, as luck would have it, they had free wifi so we were able to do online check-in for our flight home the next day.

DSCF6399.jpg

There was quite an extensive menu and it was hard to decide. We ordered some breads to start – pretzel bones and skillet cornbread with honey-pecan butter.

DSCF6395.jpg

DSCF6394.jpg

In an unexpected twist, Gary did not choose ribs and instead opted for the smoked beef brisket

DSCF6396.jpg

I, too, broke with tradition and ordered the brown sugar baby back ribs, a first for me. I gave Gary half my ribs and stole some of his brisket (hence why my plate has brisket on too)

DSCF6397.jpg

The food was delicious and we were both well and truly stuffed. Something had caught our eye on the dessert menu, though. We are both doughnut fans so ordered the hot bag o’ donuts with chocolate and strawberry-cream dipping sauces.

DSCF6401.jpg

Sadly, these were a huge disappointment. They were very dry and heavy and neither of us liked them very much. Other than the disappointing dessert, though, we loved Smokey Bones. The check came to a very reasonable $65 inc tip.

We drove back to the resort, parked up and walked a slow circuit around the lake to help our dinner go down. I still had a craving for something sweet so called in to the the Boardwalk Bakery and bought one of these.

Cheesecake Brownie
DSCF6402.jpg

Sadly, my eyes were bigger than my tummy and I actually couldn’t bring myself to eat it when we returned to the room so I stuck it in the fridge. We spent a couple of hours trying to get everything we’d brought with us plus everything we’d bought while we were here into the same number of suitcases as we’d started with. It was tight but we managed it and eventually went to bed around midnight.

loving the sound of the segway tour of celebration, putting that on my to do list.

Loved seeing pics of Celebration,we would LOVE to be able to retire there one day, but unless we get a surprise lottery win it's just going to be a pipe dream. We always go there for a meal at least once or twice when we are over, my wife often wonders where all the people who live there are, as apart from the centre where the hotel & restaurants are you don't seem to see 'people', almost like driving through a film set, weird. Sad to see your going home tomorrow as it's been great reading your reports,we are going out in April & staying at the Boardwalk too, plus one of your favourites Wilderness Lodge.

Is the chocolate Fribble as good as the Cove Cave's chocolate smoothie on the Magic? :drinking1

Would love to see Celebration properly.About 10 years ago we got lost one October evening and ended up in Celebration which looked amazing as all the houses were lit up.

Last trip we drove through it in the daytime but DH and DS's thought it looked very Stepford Wives and creepy . Needless to say DH wouldn't stop the car :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter