France: Esprit de France Meets Thread

If booking a pre-trip day, be sure to stroll through the maze of gardens at Versaille just a walk down the street from the Palace. Your guides will point out two not to be missed (there are many). One is laden with rose trellises and a statue emerging from a pond in the center and the other is horses against beautiful rock formations. In June, there were fireworks set to Classical music that could be seen and heard from our hotel - a fabulous prelude to the trip! Enjoy - it is fabulous :-)

We are taking the July 27 trip. This will be our second ABD. We did Viva Italia last year and had a wonderful time. Is anyone else on the board taking this specific trip?

We just signed on for the 8/3-8/10 trip, after circumstances prevented us from doing the Greece trip in early July we'd originally booked. In addition to my wife, we'll be bringing our two boys, aged 13 and 16.

This will be our fourth ABD trip -- we did Italy in 2008, China in 2010, and Ecuador/Galapagos in 2011.

We're doing London on our own beforehand. The boys were really interested in the England/France trip, but that one was fully booked when we had to reschedule the Greece trip, so we decided to make it happen ourselves. :)

We're doing two post-trip nights in Paris, though we're debating whether to stay at the Hotel Napoleon for those nights, because it is *expensive*. The location looks fabulous, though, and after a week of luxury, having the last two nights be a typical (and oh so small) Paris hotel room might be a bit of a bummer. We'll see.

We just signed on for the 8/3-8/10 trip, after circumstances prevented us from doing the Greece trip in early July we'd originally booked. In addition to my wife, we'll be bringing our two boys, aged 13 and 16.

This will be our fourth ABD trip -- we did Italy in 2008, China in 2010, and Ecuador/Galapagos in 2011.

We're doing London on our own beforehand. The boys were really interested in the England/France trip, but that one was fully booked when we had to reschedule the Greece trip, so we decided to make it happen ourselves. :)

We're doing two post-trip nights in Paris, though we're debating whether to stay at the Hotel Napoleon for those nights, because it is *expensive*. The location looks fabulous, though, and after a week of luxury, having the last two nights be a typical (and oh so small) Paris hotel room might be a bit of a bummer. We'll see.
Sorry you weren't able to do Greece, but it looks like you've come up with a great alternative.

The location for the Hotel Napoleon looks amazing! It's about 60% closer to the Arc de Triomphe and the shops of the Champs-Elysees than the hotel we stayed in for Knights & Lights. (That hotel is really nice, but I don't know if the price is any better. It's now called the Hotel du Collectionneur Arc de Triomphe.)

Be sure & come back & tell us all about the Esprit de France trip!

Sayhello

If you and your family like history, consider a visit to the Winston Churchill war rooms. Really fascinating, interactive and quick.

Hello. I noticed your last sentence and would like to ask how you went from Paris to the hotel at Versailles. If you took a train, was it was easy with luggage? We had a little hiccup in our flight schedule and it now looks like we'll be arriving two days in advance, not just one and I don't think we want to spend that much time at Versailles. Will probably stay at the Marriott near the Arc de Triomphe. I've read the options but would love to hear first hand what real folks do. Thanks!

Its an easy trip between downtown Paris and versailles

If you and your family like history, consider a visit to the Winston Churchill war rooms. Really fascinating, interactive and quick.

The Imperial War Museum is in the midst of a massive remodel, and is closed until the day before we get to London. They'll be open in a very limited fashion while we're there, and I'm trying to figure out what's open. I am a WWII history buff, and I'm colossally bummed that my target museum in London isn't totally open. Sigh...

On the France side (this thread is about France, after all :)), how much time does the tour spend on Omaha Beach? I see that there is lunch and time on your own in a nearby town afterwards. I'm thinking of asking the guides if I can hang out at Omaha rather than doing lunch and such, and getting a ride into town a bit later. If we get a good chunk of time there anyway, I won't worry, though.

The Imperial War Museum is in the midst of a massive remodel, and is closed until the day before we get to London. They'll be open in a very limited fashion while we're there, and I'm trying to figure out what's open. I am a WWII history buff, and I'm colossally bummed that my target museum in London isn't totally open. Sigh...

On the France side (this thread is about France, after all :)), how much time does the tour spend on Omaha Beach? I see that there is lunch and time on your own in a nearby town afterwards. I'm thinking of asking the guides if I can hang out at Omaha rather than doing lunch and such, and getting a ride into town a bit later. If we get a good chunk of time there anyway, I won't worry, though.

The town town is a drive away and you're only in town for an hour for lunch. I don't think anyone felt rushed on the beach. They gave you time to walk and reflect.

Wow, they really altered the Esprit de France for 2014. Now they are skipping the Loire Valley. That's really too bad as it was my favorite part of our 2012 ABD.

Wow, they really altered the Esprit de France for 2014. Now they are skipping the Loire Valley. That's really too bad as it was my favorite part of our 2012 ABD.

Any idea why they removed that from the itinerary? In the Alpine Magic trip, they discontinued the husky camp visit on the last day and I can understand why.

I think they removed the Chateaux because the trip was just too full. We were on the Esprit de France with Kevin (Cousin Orville), and although the Loire Valley was beautiful, we felt rushed through the visits (one Chateau after another).

I think the trip was a bit full for 7 nights, but I would have cut Paris. Paris is a wonderful city that's best experienced on your own. Not sure I would book this ABD over others without the Loire Valley.

That's too bad then. I looked at photos and the chateau looks magnificent!

I took your last advice and proceeded with asking for a pre and post night. I think it's a little high though at $650 for the pre night and $580 for the post night including transportation to the airport. I know it's not a low-cost trip, but with both hotels showing rates for regular rooms at $200-$300 Euro, I thought I would get back $400 US maybe. Does this seem on target for what you would expect the pre/post nights to be? Or have you requested this for your trip and is this about what you are paying?

How was your trip? What did you end up doing for the pre/post nights? We ended up adding on 2 nights at Disneyland Paris. Do you have any recommendations for places to eat or visit during the free times? We can't believe our trip is only about 45 days away.

Hello Everyone,

We (husband and daughter-17)) will be on our fourth ABD trip July 26th-Aug3rd to France. We have booked one pre day thru Disney. Looks like touring the gardens is a great idea on our pre day. Any other suggestions?
ABD trips have been our favorite vacations by far! Can't wait to see France thru the eyes of Disney!

Hello Everyone,

We (husband and daughter-17)) will be on our fourth ABD trip July 26th-Aug3rd to France. We have booked one pre day thru Disney. Looks like touring the gardens is a great idea on our pre day. Any other suggestions?
ABD trips have been our favorite vacations by far! Can't wait to see France thru the eyes of Disney!
Hi, OffandAway! And welcome to the ABD forum! Are you doing July 26 - Aug 2, 2014 or July 27 - Aug 3, 2013?

Sayhello

How was your trip? What did you end up doing for the pre/post nights? We ended up adding on 2 nights at Disneyland Paris. Do you have any recommendations for places to eat or visit during the free times? We can't believe our trip is only about 45 days away.

I just saw your post. I have been working on a trip report, but it’s too long. I keep cutting and hopefully I can post at some point.

We loved the trip! It was better than we even expected I think.

We ended up staying two pre nights and one post at Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe, one street over from the Napoleon, on Wagram. We had a great time in Paris and loved the hotel.

We were not super successful in finding great restaurant choices, but here are a few we tried and my thoughts.

Near Paris hotel
Brasserie Lorraine – Seafood. We didn’t see anything that jumped out at us, so we ordered their “special fish.” It was certainly good. The fish for two, what they called a salad which was a plate of green beans in olive oil and parmesan cheese, and mineral water, was $170.
Renault café Champs Elysees – Ate lunch here on the bridge overlooking the cars. Great venue for our son. And, the food was surprisingly good, very fresh and well prepared. Granted we only had burgers, a salad and fish as our meals, but all were A+. We each had dessert and soft drinks and it was about $130. Sounds like it wouldn’t be a good choice I know, but it was.
Laduree Champs Elysees – Macaroon sampler and a hot drink each was about $40. We liked the macaroons, but nothing life-changing. We took two desserts back to the hotel and they were amazing. I would look beyond the macaroons if I went here again.
L’Etoile 1903 – Guides recommended this for our son who wanted onion soup. The soup was good and 10 Euros. We did not like the selections on the posted menu for the restaurant we went to the last night, so we went here again. Funny thing was one other couple from our group was there too! Meat dish was pretty bad, so can only recommend the soup.

Deauville –
Two nights on your own here. First night was cold and windy and rainy, so we went for the “closest” place. Hopefully when you are there, there will be many more options.
Barbara Deauville – Solid pizza place. We each had a pizza, which we asked and thought was for one, but really it was big enough to share unless you are really hungry. The crust was thin and crisp and the sauce was fresh. For what it was, it was good. Meal for the three of us was about $90.
Amorino – this is a gelato place recommended by Emily, our guide. When I did my TripAdvisor review, I found it was a chain. I think it was just okay. Reasonably priced.

Arromanches –
Brasserie Six Juin – Recommended by guides. If I were to go again, I would not do a sit down lunch here. I would go to the museum and grab something to eat while I walked around. The restaurant was just okay. I had a croque-monsieur and it was tasteless. It was reasonable at about $50 for the three of us.

I am happy to answer any other questions you have. I wish you a wonderful trip! Please say hello for us to the amazing guides, Clementine and Damien, from the Smith family!

Hello Everyone,

My family was on this trip 5/23. We stayed in Paris for our pre-days, but we did arrive at Versailles at noon the first ABD day and were able to walk through the grounds, which was cold for us, but still worth it. On the ABD tour you only go to the palace, not the Trianon Palaces and Marie-Antoinette's Estate, so I would see those if you have time. Finally, one couple on our trip took the train into Paris on their pre-day and said it was easy, but had a little trouble getting a taxi back to the hotel upon their return.

Wishing you a wonderful trip! If you have any questions I can help with, please let me know.

Oops! I messed up on the dates a little. We are doing the July 27 - August 3rd 2013 trip. We added one pre night on July 26th. Now my dates make sense :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter