• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP Venting ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, the ever-present "more even" argument. Somehow I picture you smiling whenever you type this.

If their goal was "fairness" with this new system, I think they missed their mark.

No really, we didn't.

I realize how the old system worked, been doing it since they first created it.

But when the stand by line is a walk on, and the fp line is backed up outside the entry, it's a no-brainer that standby is the way to go. And that happened a lot.

This was the summers of 2012 & 2013-when we finally realized it wasn't a fluke- fp wasn't working. I think it's because more and more people were finally starting to use it. It only worked when a lot of guests didn't. Those were good times- those snarky stares as we flew by the standby people, the nasty comments you could overhear....ah, the memories. :)

You do realize that FP+ has done nothing to remedy what you are claiming was the problem with legacy FP only made the problem get significantly worse. Hence why this thread was started. Many more people are using FP+ and if you think that Disney has solved the FP+ line is longer than standby think again. Many times on my trip last month the FP+ line was longer. On TOT twice, we had FP+ and the standby was stated to be 60-85 minutes, when in fact there was no standby line at all. It is up to Disney and the CM to determine how many people they let in from the standby line vs. the FP+ line. On Space mountain the FP+ line was all the way out to the People Mover. The standby line was stated at 110 minutes. We didn't get to the end of the standby line until the split, but that line was not moving at all and truly was taking longer than FP+.

FP+ does have some positives, but is extremely frustrating when traveling with others who have different arrival dates, are locals, don't have park admission 60 days out, decide they want to come along with you 2 weeks before your trip, can't afford 10 days at WDW.....

OP keep trying when you have time. I have been trying to get my DH on 7DMT since 56 days out and I am 13 days from my trip, still hasn't happened. I understand your frustration.

Ah yes, the ever-present "more even" argument. Somehow I picture you smiling whenever you type this.

I intentionally avoided using the word "fair" because, even though I haven't posted much here for several months, I assume that that still sets some people off. But, giving as many guests as possible one FP for a particular ride clearly results in a more "even" distribution.

If their goal was "fairness" with this new system, I think they missed their mark.

And, there's one of those people that I knew would react if I used the word "fair".

In my dictionary, 10,000 people getting one FP each is a more even distribution than 5,000 people getting 2 each and the other 5,000 getting none.

I'm not going to get into an argument about what's "fair" because my observation on this board is that many people evaluate fairness based on what gives themselves the biggest advantage.

You do realize that FP+ has done nothing to remedy what you are claiming was the problem with legacy FP only made the problem get significantly worse. Hence why this thread was started. Many more people are using FP+ and if you think that Disney has solved the FP+ line is longer than standby think again. Many times on my trip last month the FP+ line was longer.

That was only one of the problems- another was parks running out of fastpasses, making park hopping difficult. Another was having to be there at opening to send someone as a runner to get passes. There were many problems.
Does the new system cure it all? No. Nothing will ever fix everything, but it works better, at least in our experience.

We went last month as well and that was not our experience at all. We never ran into a ride where we even stood still in the fp line.

And, there's one of those people that I knew would react if I used the word "fair".

In my dictionary, 10,000 people getting one FP each is a more even distribution than 5,000 people getting 2 each and the other 5,000 getting none.

I'm not going to get into an argument about what's "fair" because my observation on this board is that many people evaluate fairness based on what gives themselves the biggest advantage.

Disney needs to build new attractions to relieve the logjam at new attractions...

The problem of FPs disappearing amongst a crowd limited to 1 per guest would disappear if we return to pull, ride, repeat

Two options that I usually recommend to guests:

1. At FP Return between 2:35 and 3:35, tap your MagicBand at the touchpoint and leave the line. Do NOT get to the merge point, as it gets redeemed then. At 4:25, both will be active. Do not go to another attraction's FP entrance until after you experience the attraction at 4:25.

2. If your DD is under 7, let the CM know of her age. As per our supervised children policy, you both can experience the attraction. If the CM gives you trouble, ask for a leader only. Do NOT talk to a coordinator. This is something we get continuous safety audits.

Enjoy your visit!

That's great information! I never knew we could do that. Thanks!

There are so many bits of inside information on how to use this new system,so many "secret handshakes" that it puts any perceived "unfairness" of the old system to shame.

And thanks for making me "one of those people".

Two options that I usually recommend to guests: 1. At FP Return between 2:35 and 3:35, tap your MagicBand at the touchpoint and leave the line. Do NOT get to the merge point, as it gets redeemed then. At 4:25, both will be active. Do not go to another attraction's FP entrance until after you experience the attraction at 4:25.
That's really interesting information, and something I haven't seen anywhere else. Thanks so much for sharing it, The Hub!

We, too, booked a last minute trip and we are sol for a lot of fp.

It is stressful. The website is slow and frustrating.

I can see the attraction in going to universal. Yes, the fotl passes may be more expensive but I can ride the rides as many times as I want whenever I want. To me that is a bonus.

Disney is just becoming too much planning for a vacation. For those that want to stalk the website, I am happy for you.

Everyone just vacations differently.

We, too, booked a last minute trip and we are sol for a lot of fp. It is stressful. The website is slow and frustrating. I can see the attraction in going to universal. Yes, the fotl passes may be more expensive but I can ride the rides as many times as I want whenever I want. To me that is a bonus. Disney is just becoming too much planning for a vacation. For those that want to stalk the website, I am happy for you. Everyone just vacations differently.

For clarity's sake, Universal's standard Express Pass option offers "FOTL" only once per attraction. It is onsite guests of the 3, ahem, "deluxe-level" hotels that are allowed unlimited Express.

For clarity's sake, Universal's standard Express Pass option offers "FOTL" only once per attraction. It is onsite guests of the 3, ahem, "deluxe-level" hotels that allow unlimited Express.

You can purchase the unlimited express tickets as well Mesa. We were going to do so for our upcoming trip but decided instead to do a 1 night stay at Portofino (which by my research looks more deluxe than most D hotels ) to get early entry . Price by the way was about half the cost of any semi decent Disney Deluxe.

FP+ is the main reason we decided to add Universal to the mix. Havent been in years. The secondary reason was Diagon but I don't think that alone would have done it. For us it is more about we have 2 days at parks where we can go and ride whatever we feel like riding as opposed to 3 and your out (which is pretty close to what we're doing at D). Yes I know, I know we can do standby, or hope that other fp's are available , but Im not prepared to wait in long lines for rides so that isn't working for me.

Im hoping we'll really enjoy Universal so it would solve the dilemma of what to do on shorter trips now if we're in the theme park mood. In our planning Im already aware that shorter trips will not possibly work for us any longer at Disney. We need at least a week with a 6 or 7 day pass to get to the rides/attractions we want to see now, as opposed to 3 or 4 days. So now if we want a quick getaway it will be something other than Disney which is ok too :)

You can purchase the unlimited express tickets as well Mesa. We were going to do so for our upcoming trip but decided instead to do a 1 night stay at Portofino (which by my research looks more deluxe than most D hotels ) to get early entry . Price by the way was about half the cost of any semi decent Disney Deluxe.

Yep, hence my use of the word "standard". ;) I didn't want posters thinking the Express that most people are aware of actually got unlimited Express. :goodvibes

I agree! Our arrival day we are doing Epcot so I am going to have to pick SSE (which is a waste when there is rarely ever a line), Soarin and The Character Spot. My parents don't really do character meet and greets so they are doing SSE, Soarin and Figment! Really FIGMENT?!!! Another walk-on and a waste of a FP when it could be better used for Test Track! :sad2:

Here's the thing. Now, because of FP+, there is always a line at SSE. They had to make LwtL a tier 1 because when it wasn't, the posted wait time was HOURS when I went. It was outrageous.

I will be joining you with a rant of my own. I just booked a trip for Sept 26-28. And there is not one single TSMM FP available for my three days, and I am more than 2 weeks out. In September, one of the slowest times of the year! GRRRR. I am bringing a toddler and 8 yo on this trip, with DH staying home. So the one thing all three of us were most excited to ride is TSMM. Now I have to stalk stupid MDE for two weeks. At least with paper FP, if I got to the park within 30 mins of opening, I knew I could get FPs, especially in Sept. So very annoyed.

You'll be there for Rosh Hashanah. That's a Jewish holiday most of NY and NJ have off. :-( I'm anticipating a crowd.

Yep, hence my use of the word "standard". ;) I didn't want posters thinking the Express that most people are aware of actually got unlimited Express. :goodvibes

NP...just didn't want to get anyone else confused....it took us awhile to figure out all the different contortions to the tickets incl reg tickets, 2 park tickets, various Ap's, various forms of express passes, early entry and what that does and doesn't include....lol.

Out of curiosity though...and since we're still figuring this out...am I getting that you're saying the limited express is a more popular thing than unlimited ? Is that because of the cost you think ?

NP...just didn't want to get anyone else confused....it took us awhile to figure out all the different contortions to the tickets incl reg tickets, 2 park tickets, various Ap's, various forms of express passes, early entry and what that does and doesn't include....lol.

Out of curiosity though...and since we're still figuring this out...am I getting that you're saying the limited express is a more popular thing than unlimited ? Is that because of the cost you think ?

I don't think most people know of the unlimited version. After all, the prices for Express Pass that we hear the most about are the ones that vary between what, $20 and $60 or so?, depending on crowds. That's the sort that gets you on once per attraction.

You'll be there for Rosh Hashanah. That's a Jewish holiday most of NY and NJ have off. :-( I'm anticipating a crowd.

The crowd calendars are showing 4 and 5, even with F&W, so it shouldn't be terrible. For someone who's done summer and spring break, I am expecting much lower crowds :)

DD is 8, so the second option won't work for us, but I'm intrigued by the first. What happens when I return to line at 4:25 and tap in again? Will I get the dreaded blue Mickey?

Thanks so much for your help!

As it doesn't get redeemed until the Merge point, the FP+ entitlement is active until you get to that point. This allows for situations where a guest may be required to leave the line and needs to enter again. As long as you don't visit a kiosk or another FP Return line, your entitlement will remain active.

That's great information! I never knew we could do that. Thanks!

That's really interesting information, and something I haven't seen anywhere else. Thanks so much for sharing it, The Hub!

You're welcome. I hope you find it useful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter