FP - allowed returns later than 1, 2 or more hours??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you have been on Dis for quite a number of years now, why do you seem surprised that they started enforcing FP return time windows? Did you not read on the Dis that they were planning to start on March 7th? And if you were aware of it, did you think Disney wasnt serious about it? Did you not think that you should alter your plans based on this knowledge?

You are not "forced" into giving up on getting a FP. You can get one any time of the day provided they have not run out for the day. And there are ways that you can know what the FP wait times are. There are several smartphone Apps that will give you that info.

So the grass is really greener at Universal? You do know that it is hard to get into the Harry Potter World and its overcrowded and they will limit the number of guest allowed in during peak times. AND that the more popular Harry Potter attractions are not on their Express Pass system? Let me know how this works out for you.

And as far as stress is concerned, proper planning ahead of time can alleviate much of that

We have been to WDW many times since about 2002 or so, but our last trip before this one was 2007 at Christmas. I really hadn't been on these boards much before this trip, and was VERY surprised to see the new signs on the FP machines.

Planning a day at Disney was already challenging, and the new rule makes it that much more so... not understanding why there seems to be so much resistance to this simple fact. Yes, you can do MORE planning and try HARDER to make the day go smoothly, but that's just it: it's harder and requires more work, and even with more work and planning, you still might not be able to get as much accomplished. How can anyone possibly argue that this change is not a negative for guests???

I find it almost comical that everyone is trying to convince me that I shouldn't be unhappy about the change because I can just do more planning and possibly give up on a few things on my trip!!! I thought I was paying a premium for Disney service, not for the privilege of trying to navigate a labyrinth of schedules and policies in order to enjoy my day.

The grass may not be greener at Universal, but Disney could have made it so that I never went to find out...

We hardly ever used ours late because we always wanted to be able to get our next one ASAP.

Point of order: Late use had no effect on when your next FP was available. You could always get another FP once your window opened or after 2-hours (whichever was shorter) whether or not you had used the previous FP. Actually, that's still true. The only difference being that if you haven't used your current FP, it will now become invalid at the end of the window. Getting another FP is not tied to whether or not you use a previous FP. It's strictly a matter of waiting the alloted time before getting another.

Your comment reminds me that, on another thread, a possible next-gen system at US was being discussed. It looks like they're considering a system similar to Six Flags' "Flash Pass."

FYI... the "Flash Pass" system at Six Flags IS tied to using your reservation before making another. It allows you to make only one ride reservation at a time. You have to wait a specified time, but then you can come back ANY time after the wait time. The catch is that, until you get in line for that ride, you cannot make your next reservation. So, it is obviously in your best interest to show up as soon as your window opens. It will be interesting to see if Disney or US add an element like this to their next-gen systems. I hope they do NOT make you wait until you ride before you can get another FP because, as many have pointed out, the return time can sometimes be hours in the future. So the 2-hour max before being eligible to get another FP is a good compromise.

The grass may not be greener at Universal, but Disney could have made it so that I never went to find out...

Don't blame this on Disney. They can't own everything--they got rid of Katzenberg who in turn with Dreamworks gave their Shrek stuff Universal. In spite of popular opinion, Disney can't just sprinkle pixie dust and make everything perfect for every person. It just can't work like that.

If Disney taking away the ability to use FPs whenever on that day is enough to make you not want to come, then that's a pretty shallow reason to not go to WDW. If you want to blame someone, blame 1) all the people who complained about the policy and 2) all the people who came her to brag about it repeatedly. Disney is just giving the squeaky wheel what it wants.

Point of order: Late use had no effect on when your next FP was available. You could always get another FP once your window opened or after 2-hours (whichever was shorter) whether or not you had used the previous FP. Actually, that's still true. The only difference being that if you haven't used your current FP, it will now become invalid at the end of the window. Getting another FP is not tied to whether or not you use a previous FP. It's strictly a matter of waiting the alloted time before getting another.

Your comment reminds me that, on another thread, a possible next-gen system at US was being discussed. It looks like they're considering a system similar to Six Flags' "Flash Pass."

Yes, but if I get a FP for TSMM for 10:00 to 11:00 AM and it's 9:15 AM, I might as well use my other one if I'm going to stand around TSMM waiting for 11 AM to come around any ways. The point is that you are forced to wait at least until your original FP should have expired before getting another one. Now, you really will have to use it before getting another one.

So, where do we draw the line on meltdowns? Adult meltdowns vs. kid meltdowns? Why should you and your kids be allowed to enter the FP line late just because you possibly pushed them too far into the day to get one last ride in?

We hardly ever used ours late because we always wanted to be able to get our next one ASAP. Every now and then, we'd hold on to one for later, but we won't do that now. Know why? Because I'm a rule follower. Disney can make the rules--it's their place.

As a PP said, things have changed and you're not going to be let in late any more. Why don't we have a nice discussion about the refillable mugs now?

Wow, I am amazed by these replies! Meltdowns are not the point, and I really don't care for the insinuation that I want to push everything to the limit and break all the rules. This whole conversation boils down to a simple fact: the old "rule" was better for guests than the new enforcement regime. The old way provided more flexibility, the new way provides less. Why pointing out this simple fact and the resulting natural displeasure with something that has gotten worse has invited so much criticism I don't understand...

Yes, but if I get a FP for TSMM for 10:00 to 11:00 AM and it's 9:15 AM, I might as well use my other one if I'm going to stand around TSMM waiting for 11 AM to come around any ways. The point is that you are forced to wait at least until your original FP should have expired before getting another one. Now, you really will have to use it before getting another one.

Actually, that's still not true. As soon as your return window OPENS, you can get another FP.

If the return time of your FP is less than one hour away (meaning it expires in TWO hours because you have an hour window to show up), then you would have used it (or forfeited use of it because it expired) before getting another. However, getting another FP is not contingent upon using the one you're currently holding. This becomes apparent if your return time is MORE than two hours away. Even though you can't even use your current FP yet, you can go ahead and get another after two hours.

Wow, I am amazed by these replies! Meltdowns are not the point, and I really don't care for the insinuation that I want to push everything to the limit and break all the rules. This whole conversation boils down to a simple fact: the old "rule" was better for guests than the new enforcement regime. The old way provided more flexibility, the new way provides less. Why pointing out this simple fact and the resulting natural displeasure with something that has gotten worse has invited so much criticism I don't understand...

You brought up meltdowns and how hard it was to travel with children. If you want flexibility, then don't use the FP in its current form. It's pretty simple.

And, Magic Bob, the point now is, if you get one that expires at 11 and you can't get a new one until that point, why would you get one and then waste it? Now, if you get one and waste it, then that kind of seems doubly wasteful to me. You prevented someone else from getting one later and you didn't even use your spot.

I always sneak over to the Poly pool and swim in my non-regulation bathing suit. So many rivots--you wouldn't believe!!!!

Again, the rules havent changed. The enforcement of them has. The FPs always had a return window on them that you chose to ignore and then gamed the system.

It is what is, but to your point I never even understand what was wrong with it. It worked pretty well imo. I'm sure the antagonists have provided numerous reasons in recent threads why the change is good. In any case I don't really care, I'll abide and still have fun!

Don't blame this on Disney. They can't own everything--they got rid of Katzenberg who in turn with Dreamworks gave their Shrek stuff Universal. In spite of popular opinion, Disney can't just sprinkle pixie dust and make everything perfect for every person. It just can't work like that.

If Disney taking away the ability to use FPs whenever on that day is enough to make you not want to come, then that's a pretty shallow reason to not go to WDW. If you want to blame someone, blame 1) all the people who complained about the policy and 2) all the people who came her to brag about it repeatedly. Disney is just giving the squeaky wheel what it wants.

I have no idea what the first part of your post means... all I was saying is that if Disney hadn't messed around with things I wouldn't be looking at Universal for next year.

As for this being a shallow reason, Disney isn't my girlfriend, it's a company that is competing with other attractions and destinations. When it reaches a point where I feel someone else is giving more value for my hard earned vacation dollar, I go there... I owe Disney nothing. in the meantime I'll be the squeaky wheel on the off chance Disney might see the error of their ways...

And, Magic Bob, the point now is, if you get one that expires at 11 and you can't get a new one until that point, why would you get one and then waste it? Now, if you get one and waste it, then that kind of seems doubly wasteful to me.

I guess I don't completely understand your scenario. If you get one at 11 and can't get a new one until WHAT point?

I'm not saying someone would pull a FP and intentionally waste it. But, as has been pointed out repeatedly, there are lots of reasons why you might MISS your window even though you are trying to get there.

Using the times in your original example, you said that it was 9:15 am and you got a FP for 10-11 am. That means that you can get another FP at 10 am and you still have until 11 am to use the first one. So you can still have several FPs at a time. You are not forced to wait until your current FP expires to get another. You only have to wait until the START of your window or two hours later (whichever is shorter).

Again, the rules havent changed. The enforcement of them has. The FPs always had a return window on them that you chose to ignore and then gamed the system.

That is not true. Every guidebook out there for the last decade, and any CM you asked, stated clearly that you could return after the window. Call it a rule or enforcement, but it was absolutely and officially permitted. Riding after the window was not "gaming" anything.

Because not everyone agrees with that. Some are very glad of the change.

Using the times in your original example, you said that it was 9:15 am and you got a FP for 10-11 am. That means that you can get another FP at 10 am and you still have until 11 am to use the first one. So you can still have several FPs at a time. You are not forced to wait until your current FP expires to get another. You only have to wait until the START of your window or two hours later (whichever is shorter).

I just checked my lanyard from this past Nov. and our FP return time was between 10 and 11 AM. I could get another one at 11 AM. This was for the Pooh ride.

I have no idea what the first part of your post means... all I was saying is that if Disney hadn't messed around with things I wouldn't be looking at Universal for next year.

As for this being a shallow reason, Disney isn't my girlfriend, it's a company that is competing with other attractions and destinations. When it reaches a point where I feel someone else is giving more value for my hard earned vacation dollar, I go there... I owe Disney nothing. in the meantime I'll be the squeaky wheel on the off chance Disney might see the error of their ways...

Disney is apples and Universal is oranges. That you're comparing the two and think that you're going to get the same experience is laughable. Disney is a theme park, Universal is Six Flags on steroids. And you do know that you have to buy Universal's form of FP right? Unless you stay on property.

If you owe Disney nothing, then why do you feel that they owe you the right to use FPs whenever you want on that day?

It's enforcement of the original rule, practice, policy, procedure.
FastPass started in 1999; according to the newer book, by 2007 WDW was no longer enforcing the end time of the return window. In 2004, they still were.

In 2003, they were not enforcing the end time either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter