• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fourth of July fireworks -- same as usual?

rutgers1

DIS Veteran
I figure the park is going to be SLAMMED on the 4th, but we made a dinner reservation so we could be assured entrance (I figure that assures entrance, right?). We are going in with the expectation that we won't be able to get on many/any rides, but we figured that the fireworks were going to kick butt.

Thoughts?

I loved the Fourth of July fireworks. They are well worth braving the crowds. MK's fireworks have special features that you can only see in the park, not from a nearby resort. I would try to get as close to the hub as possible for viewing.

It was crowded when we went a few years ago, but not horrible-- we still got on several rides. I do not know if an ADR guarantees entry into the park-- I think that depends on the crowd levels at that time. To ensure entry, I would get there early and stay until the fireworks.

The Epcot fireworks are spectacular. The crowds are not as crazy as MK. Having an ADR in a Park doesn't guarentee admittance when crowds reach danger zones!

But are the fireworks different on the 4th of July, or are they the same as the days before/after?

That is a bummer about the ADR's. I figured that would be our way of getting in even if the park was at capacity.

Nothing will help you get in if it reaches peak capacity, but you won't have to worry about that if you show up earlier in the day.

The fireworks at MK, Epcot, and DHS are special Fourth of July fireworks. I have only viewed the Epcot fireworks on the fourth. Well worth dealing with the crowds. In the past, MK runs their Independence Day fireworks special on the 3rd and the 4th. But, I don't know if that is a guaranteed event.

Epcot only on the 4th.

I read somewhere that the 4th July fireworks are running all week this year. The 3rd also does 4th July fireworks normally. The only way to guarantee entry is to be there at opening.

I figure the park is going to be SLAMMED on the 4th, but we made a dinner reservation so we could be assured entrance (I figure that assures entrance, right?). We are going in with the expectation that we won't be able to get on many/any rides, but we figured that the fireworks were going to kick butt.

Thoughts?

You would be fine up to and including Phase 3, but would be shut out like everyone else if it goes Phase 4. I highly recommend having your ADR reservation number handy.

I read somewhere that the 4th July fireworks are running all week this year. The 3rd also does 4th July fireworks normally. The only way to guarantee entry is to be there at opening.

Does this apply to MK or all three parks? After a cursory search through the usual resources, I can't find anything that mentions a full week of fireworks for 2013.

Does this apply to MK or all three parks? After a cursory search through the usual resources, I can't find anything that mentions a full week of fireworks for 2013.

I don't think that has been announced...

This is the only thing I've seen:

"Independence Week: It’s red, white and blue as Disney Parks salutes America with a 4th of July Fireworks Party — for an entire week, with patriotic lighting bathing the Disney castles on both coasts. Mickey Mouse appears in his patriotic finest and guests will find special USA shirts, Ear Hats and other limited-edition souvenirs."

It is from a disneyparksblog post last October announcing "Limited Time Magic"
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...kicks-off-limited-time-magic-at-disney-parks/

Thoughts?

The fireworks do kick butt!! However, even having an ADR will not get you into the park once it reaches a stage 4 closure. Which it often does on the 4th of July. Don't wait too long to try to get in. The park will get more and more crowded before the fireworks. You don't want to be kept out because it is full, and then have to pay for the no-show ADR penalty (that is, if you booked an ADR that needed a credit card to hold).

When we were there the week of July 4 a few years ago we chose to go to the fireworks on July 3, and yes......they are AMAZING! I mean, seriously, the most amazing thing I've ever seen! We booked the dessert party for that night, and it was the single BEST Disney decision we've ever made in our lives. The MK was insane. I'm talking, people tipping over wheelchairs, jumping over other people's strollers, swearing in each other's faces, crazy! I was so glad to have the safe haven on the Tomorrowland Terrace area. It was an EMH night and we decided to stay. It took us almost an hour to get from the Tomorrowland Terrace area to Liberty Square to find a spot to watch Spectromagic. Spectro actually started 45 minutes+ late due to Main St being completely jammed with people trying to leave. We were all adults, so we look back on it now and laugh, but if I had had little ones or strollers with me, it probably would've been a completely different experience!

If we are willing to wait around 4PM (in the event that they close things off), is there a chance that we will be allowed in within the hour? I figure that they will let people in as more people leave. Although a lot of people will be staying for the fireworks, I am sure that others will be leaving so they can go eat dinner elsewhere.

I really don't want to get there at rope drop. I would much prefer to get there for dinner and then stake out our spot to watch the fireworks.

If we are willing to wait around 4PM (in the event that they close things off), is there a chance that we will be allowed in within the hour? I figure that they will let people in as more people leave. Although a lot of people will be staying for the fireworks, I am sure that others will be leaving so they can go eat dinner elsewhere.

I really don't want to get there at rope drop. I would much prefer to get there for dinner and then stake out our spot to watch the fireworks.

I would follow maxiesmom's advice, avoid an ADR with a credit card guarantee. You wouldn't have to worry about this at Epcot or DHS. MK, I think is riskier.

You have no way of knowing when the parks will close, and when they will re-open. Know that if you wait too long to go to MK there is a chance you won't get in. Unfortunately none of us can tell you ahead of time when exactly you can go and still get in, and when it will be too late. I can tell you from experience many more people arrive for the fireworks than leave. And you can't expect to grab a good spot less than 90 minutes ahead of time. We are talking wall to wall people.

So you have to decide, how much of a chance are you willing to take? How upset would you be if you couldn't be inside MK to see the fireworks? If you had to pay a $10 a person fee because you waited until it was too late and couldn't get in to make your ADR?

You have to decide how upset you will be if you don't get into MK at all.

Maybe we will get lucky and Robo will come along and post the pick they have of MK on the 4th. That may help you to see just how full full is.

When you get a dining reservation in a Park you are warned that you must have valid Park admission; if online it is printed on your confirmation and if by phone the agents are required to tell you this.

If a Park is at a Stage 4 closing nobody is allowed in. So nobody has "valid admission" to the Park, even with a dining reservation. So if you cannot get into the Park and you have a guarantee you will forfeit the guarantee amount.

Were going to be there during the holiday.. I looked them up on Youtube, clearly more fireworks on the 3rd and 4th, but there everyday night show are far better then some 4th of July celebrations lol

I am sorry if my continuation of this thread is getting annoying, lol.

Although I understand the technicalities, I guess I was just wondering about the odds of being turned away, as opposed to the odds of being allowed in if we were to wait. Before you say that each day is different and you can't predict, please read the next paragraph.

I have heard of people who arrived only to find out that the park was at capacity, but I never heard anyone talk about what happened if/when they decided to wait it out. I guess that is the insight I am looking for.

If we get in, we get in. If we don't, we don't. So, don't worry, I won't be holding anyone to their predictions -- just wondering what people think.

We would love to watch the fireworks from a great spot, but if it isn't in the cards, I am ok with it. We are going to be in Disney for 2 weeks this summer, and we travel down once or twice a year, so I can't say that I have "missed" much. It is because of the frequency of our visits that I never really concern myself with stuff like a park being at capacity, as we generally avoid the busy parks/days. This year is the first time we are walking into the eye of the storm...hence my line of questions.

Thanks!

I am sorry if my continuation of this thread is getting annoying, lol.

Although I understand the technicalities, I guess I was just wondering about the odds of being turned away, as opposed to the odds of being allowed in if we were to wait. Before you say that each day is different and you can't predict, please read the next paragraph.

I have heard of people who arrived only to find out that the park was at capacity, but I never heard anyone talk about what happened if/when they decided to wait it out. I guess that is the insight I am looking for.

If we get in, we get in. If we don't, we don't. So, don't worry, I won't be holding anyone to their predictions -- just wondering what people think.

We would love to watch the fireworks from a great spot, but if it isn't in the cards, I am ok with it. We are going to be in Disney for 2 weeks this summer, and we travel down once or twice a year, so I can't say that I have "missed" much. It is because of the frequency of our visits that I never really concern myself with stuff like a park being at capacity, as we generally avoid the busy parks/days. This year is the first time we are walking into the eye of the storm...hence my line of questions.

Thanks!

I have seen it reach level 4 on the 4th as early as 10am and remain that high the rest of the day.

Honestly there is no way to know, so you will just have to decide which is more important. Being there for your ADR and fireworks, or avoiding going early in the day and staying.

I will say the fireworks are simply spectacular.

Were going to be there during the holiday.. I looked them up on Youtube, clearly more fireworks on the 3rd and 4th, but there everyday night show are far better then some 4th of July celebrations lol

While I love Wishes, one thing you can't see on youtube is the feel of being in the Magic Kingdom, and watching fireworks go off to patriotic music. It is very moving! Another thing you probably can't see to well is that the fireworks on the 4th are set off all around you. 360 degrees of explosions and color! Very cool and not to be missed!:banana::banana:

If the park reaches capacity before you get there, you will be directed to a different park - then you can try DHS or Epcot. If your flexible you have nothing to worry about. You could try the 3rd, it might be more likely.

But, I agree with others. The feel of being there on the 4th, with the patriotic music, and fireworks is quite moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter