Four hundred and ninty seventh times a charm

Minerva Mouse

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow disers.

As the title suggests this isn't my first rodeo. I've had many failed attempts to loose weight and here I am, yet again. In the same boat I've been in now for the past oh, 6 or 7 years. I turn 40 in July, that shocks the hell outta most people, I think my fluff gives me that baby face, something I'm terrified of loosing. I sit before you today at 278 pounds on a 5 foot 4 inch frame. (285 lbs just 6 days ago, but hey, the first week is all water, right?)

I began the Advocare 24 day challenge 6 days ago, and so far I'm succeeding. It's rough, I consider myself to be addicted to food. It's my go to, my drug of choice. But, I'm doing something a little different this time.

I've had counseling before, other challenges in my life, and counseling really helped me. I decided to try this approach to food this time. I found an office about 10 minutes away from work that specializes in "eating disorders" and a specific counselor that specializes in over eaters. That's me, an over eater.

Anyone ever tried this route before? I've already learned some interesting things about myself. Why I do some of the things I do when it comes to food. I have a long journey ahead of me, and it's a journey I have to win. I have to realize that I'm worth it. That I am in control. For too long I haven't been.

I wanted to share my counselors first challenge. Learning to be mindful. So many times I find myself eating just to eat. I have to learn to be mindful, why am I turning to food? What is that food going to give me? Is it something I really want? The counselor asked me to give it 2 minutes, and while I haven't been mindful 100% of the time I would venture to say that I've been mindful 65% of the time. From 0% to 65% in 3 sessions, THAT'S HUGE. So 65% of the time, I'm thinking about what I'm eating, and why I'm eating it before I take that first bite, if I take that first bite. I'm learning to ask myself is this what I really want? Is this something I really need, and if I say yes, I do, then that's fine. The first step isn't to say no to everything but to have a dialog with myself before I eat it.

My advice - start an account on myfitnesspal and track every thing that you eat or drink. Every bite - every sip. When you do that, you always understand the impact of your eating.

I like the idea of breaking the habit like one might break other bad habits, but eating is different because you have to eat t survive. Tracking intake is necessary.

My advice - start an account on myfitnesspal and track every thing that you eat or drink. Every bite - every sip. When you do that, you always understand the impact of your eating.

This 100%. MFP has really helped me curb my mindless (over)eating. When you track everything that goes in your mouth, you'll really start to understand how everything adds up over the day and that "just a bite" here and there really impacts the total calories you eat per day.

When I started my weight loss (60lb down and slowly phasing into maintenance mode) I basically had to relearn how to eat. Like you, I had a food addiction- personally, my happiness revolved around whether I was eating, and I was often preoccupied thinking about where my next meal was coming from. The food I was eating was high calorie, low nutritional stuff. For me, I had to cut out that type of food completely for some time (a few months, probably) until I started not craving it anymore. It wasn't easy, I'll tell you that. But once that habit was kicked, I slowly started to phase my 'problem foods' back into my diet, but in controlled amounts that left me satisfied.

You also have to remember that weight loss is not a one and done type of thing. You can't just lose the weight and go back to your old ways, you'll just yo-yo. If I hadn't allowed myself my problem foods once in a while I would have failed. Sure, I still binge once in a while but I don't worry too much, I'll just hit the gym for longer the next day. Find something that's sustainable for you. I think you've taken a huge step in seeing a counselor, if it's helped this much already it will only get better.

Don't give up! Even if you fall off the wagon for a day/week/whatever, just hop back on as soon as you can. You're only human, it isn't failure, it's a learning experience. =)

ETA: I forgot to add, 8lbs is a fantastic start! And if you ever need encouragement or advice, just shoot me a PM

Last edited:
This 100%. MFP has really helped me curb my mindless (over)eating. When you track everything that goes in your mouth, you'll really start to understand how everything adds up over the day and that "just a bite" here and there really impacts the total calories you eat per day.

When I started my weight loss (60lb down and slowly phasing into maintenance mode) I basically had to relearn how to eat. Like you, I had a food addiction- personally, my happiness revolved around whether I was eating, and I was often preoccupied thinking about where my next meal was coming from. The food I was eating was high calorie, low nutritional stuff. For me, I had to cut out that type of food completely for some time (a few months, probably) until I started not craving it anymore. It wasn't easy, I'll tell you that. But once that habit was kicked, I slowly started to phase my 'problem foods' back into my diet, but in controlled amounts that left me satisfied.

You also have to remember that weight loss is not a one and done type of thing. You can't just lose the weight and go back to your old ways, you'll just yo-yo. If I hadn't allowed myself my problem foods once in a while I would have failed. Sure, I still binge once in a while but I don't worry too much, I'll just hit the gym for longer the next day. Find something that's sustainable for you. I think you've taken a huge step in seeing a counselor, if it's helped this much already it will only get better.

Don't give up! Even if you fall off the wagon for a day/week/whatever, just hop back on as soon as you can. You're only human, it isn't failure, it's a learning experience. =)

ETA: I forgot to add, 8lbs is a fantastic start! And if you ever need encouragement or advice, just shoot me a PM

Aww, Thank you Trith. I can relate, I think of food like an alcoholic thinks about their next drink. From the time I wake up I'm already thinking what amazing foods am I going to eat today, even before lunch, I'm already thinking of dinner.

I lost over 70 pounds once in my mid 20's, It was seriously like a flick of a switch. I woke up one day, and said no more. I gave up soda, stopped eating after 6, and would get a cheeseburger, small fries and water at Mcdonalds, instead of a Big Mac value meal with a coke. I lost 18 pound that first month, just by doing that. I then began working out, and boom in 4 months I was down 70 pounds. I maintained for about 5 years, then hit a very stressful time in my life, and my old habits crept back up on me.

I'm trying to do, as you mentioned. I've noticed I can't eat just one, or just some. I feel the need to consume all, until I'm sick. For that reason, I'm not doing any sweets, it's like once that sugar hits my bloodstream it consumes my every thought, and it's all I can think of until I get more. Then as I'm sure you know, the cycle just continues to repeat. Therefor for now, I think it's best I just try to stay away, or at least stay mindful as the counselor suggests. Do I really need that donut? No, no I don't....

My down fall is the giving up, it's so easy to give up, and that's why this is my 497th time. I start, I try, I fail, then give up. I have to learn that I'm worthy of being healthy, that I deserve this, and that isn't easy for me.

come join us in the April WISH challenge thread!

what a great tool you have learned from your counselor! thank you for sharing....I used to do that..wait 10 mins and see if I still wanted it so badly. or put off that craving until tomorrow...it does work!

I'm another vote for MFP too!

I can't think of anything else that hasn't already been said here, but I just want to tell you that I am cheering you on!

I lost 30 lbs by becoming mindful and tracked everything I ate, so here's another vote for MFP. Like Trith, I had to relearn how to eat. I even weighed my food to calculate my daily calories for 3 months. For me, I need to plan out my snacks and meals so that I am a lot less likely to eat junk food. However, I made a big mistake of cutting calories too drastically and I hit a plateau that I still cannot shake off (at 195 lbs).

I look forward to reading about your progress!

Thank you everyone. I've had a very emotional and stressful week, I've wanted desperately to pick up that pint of Ben & Jerry's, order a pizza or cruze through the McDonalds drive thru, but I haven't. It's so hard, and people who've never been through it, just don't get it.

I'm happy to report that I'm down 24 pounds :) Counseling/Therapy has been the best decision I've ever made. For the first time in my life, I feel like I'm in control, like I can say no and be ok with that. FYI, I haven't done anything crazy to loose the weight, I've just been eating really healthy, chicken, fish, oatmeal, vegetables etc. I'm not hungry, and I've only been eating foods I like. Once I broke the sugar roller coaster everything else just kinda fell into place. Before, I treated myself daily. Now I treat myself once, maybe twice a week, and even then I'm "mindful" and careful not to over indulge. I know you always loose big in the beginning, I realize this will level out eventually, but I'm going to enjoy the big numbers while I can. :)

Congrats on the loss! It always sounds so trite to say that it's a lifestyle change, but it really is. I've lost 100 lbs with 40 more to go and it really is about designing your life to make the healthy choice the easy one. For me, it was doing things like making sure I make enough dinner to have leftovers so that I'm not tempted to eat out at lunch and having cleaned, cut up fruits and veggies in the fridge and dinners planned well in advance(with groceries ordered online so I'm not tempted when wandering the aisles.)

The hardest part for me has been finding a stress relief that did not involve chocolate. I took up yoga and running and both of those has really helped me to find something that I can do or think about that when I am stressed.

Best of luck to you!!

Congrats on the loss! It always sounds so trite to say that it's a lifestyle change, but it really is. I've lost 100 lbs with 40 more to go and it really is about designing your life to make the healthy choice the easy one. For me, it was doing things like making sure I make enough dinner to have leftovers so that I'm not tempted to eat out at lunch and having cleaned, cut up fruits and veggies in the fridge and dinners planned well in advance(with groceries ordered online so I'm not tempted when wandering the aisles.)

The hardest part for me has been finding a stress relief that did not involve chocolate. I took up yoga and running and both of those has really helped me to find something that I can do or think about that when I am stressed.

Best of luck to you!!

OMG Pikaboo, that is amazing. Kudos to you and your hard work, I know it isn't easy.

I completely agree with having dinner and snacks planned in advance. This has been one of the hardest things for me to accomplish, but it honestly makes a monumental difference. Preparation is key. I've had a slow week this week, but that was expected. I lost 7 pounds at my last weigh in, which was Tuesday April 28th. I'll chart my weigh in the morning, and if I'm lucky I might see a pound, maybe two. I knew it wouldn't be much after losing 7, no loss or little loss is better than a gain. I know the scale doesn't always reflect our progress, but I know I'm on the right track, and I just have to stick with it.

I met with a personal trainer this week, and incorporated two, 1.5 mile walks into my routine last week. I'm planning to meet with the trainer once a week, it's 50 bucks a session, I wish I was rich, but I can't afford anything more than that, on top of the counseling which is also $50 a week. Once a week will hold me accountable, it will give me a routine, and make me accountable for the other days where I need to work out. It's time, progression is happening, and I'm ready to take the next step.

P.S. I purchased a Jawbone. I got the ugly orange one at Best Buy on clearance for only $62. I enjoy seeing how active, or inactive I am each day, and it has inspired me to track my steps. I find myself taking the dogs for a little longer walk, because each step counts. I started taking the stairs at work, because each step counts. I find a reason to walk to the post office, because each step counts. I sometimes take the long hall back to my desk because, each step counts. I've even put on my headphones and walked around the block when I call my mom, because each step counts.

Anyone who's reading this, I encourage you to do the same. It may sound silly, but you too will find yourself reaching to log each step.

I typically visit Disney or Universal once a week as well, let me tell you it's amazing the amount of walking you do there, and don't even realize it. Super cool little technology.

Thank you! It's been a long time coming, but I'm really glad I finally just made the decision that I didn't want to feel the way I felt anymore.

I have the Fitbit Charge and I agree that having that number helps a lot. I try to take the stairs (I work in the basement at work at the ice machine is on the 3rd floor) at least 4 times a days up and down. Better than a stair master. lol

I suck at doing weights on my own, so getting a personal trainer is great even once a week. I used to do that, but we've run into some financial issues, so I started taking classes at our gym instead (the cost is included in our HOA dues that we pay each month.)

But in the end, it's all the little things. It's every extra step you take and every time you say no to X food item. But there will be times when the scale doesn't move no matter what you do and you have to focus on how much better you feel instead of how that-stupid-scale-is-stupid-and-doesn't-it-know-how-hard-you've-worked, which is difficult.

Just checking in. I'm still doing good, hit a plateau for a couple weeks, but I didn't let it discourage me. My body feels so much better without all the sugar and heavy carbs, that I'm treating the weigh loss more like an added bonus, lol. Then we had a 3 night staycation at Disney's Coronado Springs. It was great, we had fabulous time, perfect weather, couldn't have been better. But, I ate all kinds of things I shouldn't have eaten and I paid dearly for it. I even got sick :crazy2: one night SIX hours after dinner. By day 4 I was ready to go home and get back on my healthy food choices. (yes Disney has them, but i was on vacation :rolleyes:) It was good, that I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted, because it actually made me realize that I really DON'T miss it. I didn't like the way that crappy food made me feel.

Anyway, I am at 27 or 28 pound lost. I still love my therapist, I'm learning to set boundaries, to let go of things I can't control, and say no to the things I can control (like mindless eating).

Tomorrow I begin a new chapter, exercise. I will be meeting with a private trainer once a week, she is coming to our complex, to show me how to properly use the equipment that I have free and easy access to. She will also set a routine for me for me to follow on the days she isn't there. I will need to be accountable the other days of the week, and she will meet with me every Saturday. Wish me luck, lol.

I just found this thread now but wanted to stop in and say congrats. I think you have learned a lot already. The fact that you got sick after eating junk for 3 days shows just how much your body is not meant to eat this stuff on a regular basis. I hope you reach your goal. As far as exercise, have you ever considered running and signing up for a runDisney race? That was my motivation that got me turned around to a healthier lifestyle?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter