Four for a Dollar is no more...

I love these guys and listen to their CD's in the car all the time.
Sad that I'll just miss them as we're going the 22nd.
Wishing them all the best!!!

We'll definitely miss them. We've been known to show up just for the Four for a Dollar pre-show and then leave before B&B. We like B&B, but we've seen it several times, and it's just not something we need to repeat each trip, but we loved Four for a Dollar!

I just sent a letter to guest communications. It probably won't do any good, but I did let them know that maybe they should consider moving the guys to another area or park without letting them go completely. We'll be going to see them one last time in Sept. Please wish them well from us too, and we'll be following along with what's next for them on their site.

I will definitely pass along your best wishes.

As to why they're being moved on, it amounted to some version of "out with the old, in with the new." :sad2:
That's very sad because they were maybe old-style, but were enjoyed by all ages. They got loud enthusiastic applause during every show I have seen.
Even if B & the B is closing, these guys deserve somewhere to perform.
We will truly miss them as well. I have a son on the autism spectrum (12 yrs), and have been taking him to Disney since he was 3. There were many trips where he would do no rides and was afraid of many attractions. One thing he always looked forward to doing was going to see 4 for a dollar. He felt like he knew a secret the rest of the crowd didn't when they would start their act. He would sing along and snap his fingers right along with them. There was one trip where we saw them every day of our 14 day trip. Often leaving before B&B started.

Thank you for posting, I always considered this act a hidden gem.
:grouphug:
Another gem lost.

Disney may be forgetting that 4 for a Dollar is the type of "nostalgic" live offering that people come back to see year after year. Shows can come and go, but people attach a personal connection to this group - and many of the the other "small" entertainments like it, like the statues in Italy, the Buskers in the UK and the Barbershop Quartet on Main Street. They, in their variety, make the parks come alive. We miss them when they aren't there.

DisFlan
::yes::
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the the Family Fun Day parade was a part of the Year of a Million Dreams theme. (At least that's what they seemed to indicate on the promotional video.) So that explains why it's going away.
That's what I had heard about the Family Fun Day parade too.

Here's another :thumbsup2 for the group. I just loved 4 for a dollar. I have only seen them 3 times but I always thought that if I ever got down to WDW again I would go see them as many times as I could for the week that I was there and leave before Beauty and the Beast started. I do not need to see that show again. But it's worth sitting there waiting for the guys to come out and do their thing. Just loved, loved, loved their act. I always felt bad for those who came in late to the theater and missed them. If it is a cost-cutting move on Disney's part - well shame on them!

You are right, but lets examine what we do know:
- B&B pretty much sucks. My wife is a high school drama coach, and their production with nearly $0 budget (after buying the Disney performance rights) blew away this one.
- 4 for a $ is great, really. Talented, funny and a nice break from the normal Disney packages.

I don't think your statements are facts at all. It's totally a matter of opinion. DH and I loved the B&B show and I'm sure lots of other people do too. I didn't find it amateurish at all. I found it to be just what it is supposedto be - an attraction in a theme park, and a good one at that.

4 For a Dollar clearly has a lot of fans but that doesn't mean that everyone who sees them likes them or even that the majority of people like them. I enjoyed them but they were hardly unique. They were an a capella group, an enjoyable minor distracation, a good preshow. So, it's all a matter of opinion.

You are right, but lets examine what we do know:
- B&B pretty much sucks. My wife is a high school drama coach, and their production with nearly $0 budget (after buying the Disney performance rights) blew away this one.
It may not be "Broadway" quality, but there is no way any HS production comes within a country mile of this.:confused:

I don't like B&B either. Although I love that video where Mrs. Potts fell over and couldn't get up.

I was in HS productions that were better than B&B.

It may not be "Broadway" quality, but there is no way any HS production comes within a country mile of this.:confused:

I should have been more clear. The Disney park production is very good. The stage, the blocking, lighting, etc.

It lacks imagination.

Now, not everything in Disney requires "imagination" - I don't want an imagineered cheeseburger, I just want a cheeseburger. And to that end, B&B provides a "readers' digest" condensed version.

But look at the Lion King show, and you know Disney has the power to make it more imaginative - to give you a reason to want to see it again. It doesn't need a different stage (like Lion King) or even new characters...

Some very simple ideas:
- Belle is older and the show is about her remembering her transformation. So she has some 'today' and then relives some scenes from the movie.
- A travel show, visiting Belle's locales, such as the village, the castle, the woods, etc.

I dunno. It is professsional, the people are talented, etc. And it is certainly popular. It is just sort of ho-hum to me.

I don't think your statements are facts at all. It's totally a matter of opinion. DH and I loved the B&B show and I'm sure lots of other people do too. I didn't find it amateurish at all. I found it to be just what it is supposedto be - an attraction in a theme park, and a good one at that.

OK, you got me ;)

I don't think it was amatuerish either. It lacked much imagination. My wife's HS effort was amatuerish but used a TON of imagination. I liked hers better - but of course it wouldn't fly in WDW. I 'spose I'd like professionalism AND imagination.

And free admission ;)

4 For a Dollar clearly has a lot of fans but that doesn't mean that everyone who sees them likes them or even that the majority of people like them. I enjoyed them but they were hardly unique. They were an a capella group, an enjoyable minor distracation, a good preshow. So, it's all a matter of opinion.

Yeah, but they are a very good a capella group and were unique in Disney in a few ways. Disney will survive and so, presumably, will the group. And no, I'm not one of those "any change is bad" people, I just really thought that this was a standout surprise, which is EXACTLY the kind of thing I go to Disney to see.

I love choral music!

Coral-Music.gif

What?

Oh.

Nevermind.

;)

-----------------------------------------
I also love choral music and think "The Voices of Liberty" (Epcot's American Adventure "Preshow")
are outstanding as well.

(I did not shoot these VoL clips, but I did cut together the 4 for $ video listed below.)

This is My Country-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8pUYfI9jHc&feature=related

You'll Never Walk Alone-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr9Fgj_iqjU

Golden Dream-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXcs3vQGr9o&feature=related

Let There Be Peace on Earth-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSTcO_MpgzI&feature=related

---------------------------------

Four for a Dollar (Pre-Beauty & the Beast) DHS 3 song set
SPOILER WARNING: reveals the "secret set-up."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozX_A1V2T8A

How sad. Especially to those of us who won't have a chance to see them again.

These four gentlemen are wonderful. We will be in Disney in 2 days and will be to DHS at least twice over 10 days. I plan to sit on their program at least twice and I think I'll finally get their cds. I've been wanting them for over 2 years now. Guess if I need my fix I'll have to have a cd or 4. We will truly miss you.

I'm a professional actress and producer and I think B&The B works a treat the way it's done. A big portion of the story is cut out, but as I said, it works.

No disrespect, but I would not be interested in producing or watching a show based on your ideas there, jayandstacey. "Looking back-" , "clip shows" or other too "imaginative" versions of traditional stories rarely work and often turn out to look studenty or amateurish. I've seen a pure concrete military version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and old Greek plays set in modern day with a TV-reporter etc etc.. Dreadful.

The truth is, a play/movie that's as successful as B&TheB is and still is hugely popular 17 years later (not to mention that the original story is from the 1700s!), would have to have a timeless and excellent story. So unless you are way better than the original writer, messing with a masterpiece is not a good idea and hardly ever produces a good result. Timeless stories don't need it anyway! :)

I don't like Festival of the Lion King. It's not amateurish, but neither the story or the way it's told interest me and the original story works so much better. "The Lion King" in the West End on the other side is absolutely excellent!!

"The Lion King" in the West End on the other side is absolutely excellent!!

Are you British?

I'm trying to figure out what "Lion King in the West End on the other side" means and it only makes sense to me if you are British and referring to the major theatrical production. Which is really amazing. Although I have not seen it in Britain, just New York.

The Lion King show in Disneyland Paris is a rehash of the story - but it is put on by Timon and Pumbaa as entertainment for King Simba. The actors are human and don't wear traditional full character costumes (except for Zasu, Timon, Simba and Pumbaa who are all either puppets or full-character costumed performers).

I thought the B&B production on Broadway was fantastic. But the full character costumes in the park version are too clumsy for me to get into believing that the story is being told onstage for me. I do recall the singers being quite good though.

I just saw Macbeth done as a Stalinist-era dictator (on Broadway) and I did think that was interesting.

That is what I'm referring too and yes, it's AMAZING! :)
My husband and I've seen the Lion King shows in both WDW and Disneyland, Paris and we weren't crazy about either of them.

I'm not saying that modern and/or unusual versions of plays should never be done, BUT it should be done with caution and only by very competent people who really know what they're doing.

I think the WDW show captures the soul of the movie and I don't find it clumpy. Yeah ok, Mrs. Potts and the gang's costumes are a bit.. hm.. special, but I just find them funny :)

Are you British?

I'm trying to figure out what "Lion King in the West End on the other side" means and it only makes sense to me if you are British and referring to the major theatrical production. Which is really amazing. Although I have not seen it in Britain, just New York.

The Lion King show in Disneyland Paris is a rehash of the story - but it is put on by Timon and Pumbaa as entertainment for King Simba. The actors are human and don't wear traditional full character costumes (except for Zasu, Timon, Simba and Pumbaa who are all either puppets or full-character costumed performers).

I thought the B&B production on Broadway was fantastic. But the full character costumes in the park version are too clumsy for me to get into believing that the story is being told onstage for me. I do recall the singers being quite good though.

I just saw Macbeth done as a Stalinist-era dictator (on Broadway) and I did think that was interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter