Found out about affair right before Disney

Disneydreamer2014

Earning My Ears
The magic is gone :sad:
We are supposed to be heading to Disney for the first time in 29 days. Just last night I found out my husband had an affair. I'm a mess. He agreed to file jointly for separation (not an easy choice but for the best right now). But now I'm struggling with the idea of this dream trip for our two girls. They don't know anything is changing yet but I just can't imagine being able to set this aside for the trip. I'm still very much in the early stages, angry, bitter and resentful. I don't know what to do. This isn't how I want to remember Disney! Got out magic bands today and couldn't bare to open them.

We are supposed to be heading to Disney for the first time in 29 days. Just last night I found out my husband had an affair. I'm a mess. He agreed to file jointly for separation (not an easy choice but for the best right now). But now I'm struggling with the idea of this dream trip for our two girls. They don't know anything is changing yet but I just can't imagine being able to set this aside for the trip. I'm still very much in the early stages, angry, bitter and resentful. I don't know what to do. This isn't how I want to remember Disney! Got out magic bands today and couldn't bare to open them.

:hug: The only advice I have for you is immediately get records of all your financial things--bank accounts, investments, mortgage, etc. Just in case you need that.

I wouldn't try to go to WDW as a big happy family. I don't think I could stand it. But I might go with the children, for their sake. Even if I had to go in every restroom and cry.

Don't let his reckless actions spoil a trip that will packed with a lifetime of memories for you and the children.

Don't worry about his plane ticket. He already bought himself a one way trip to hell.

So sorry. Please tell me he admitted to the affair. I hope you didn't have to find out some other way.

So sorry that this has happened to you. I recently found out about my wife's affair. Every person and situation is different, if it was my family I would go. I could understand not being able to stomach the trip though. It really is a decision only you can make. I agree with PP's get your financial ducks in a row, get screened for STD's, most importantly do your best to eat and sleep. I know that can be tough but not doing it only makes you feel worse. :hug:

Separate Disney from this Disaster. It's the first part of grief counseling.

Go, have a ball and have your kids enjoy themselves. You will survive.

:hug:

I know this isn't the same, but my dad died 5 weeks before our trip to Disney. I thought I would be miserable and I contemplated cancelling. Let me tell you it was the best thing I did to keep my mind off of what happened. The kids really needed it too. We all had as much fun as we could despite the situation. You guys will too.

Oh, I am so sorry! What an (DIS unallowed adjective).

No idea what to tell you but, I know whatever happens you will make it.

Hi OP, First of all I'm so sorry.

You said yourself that you are in the beginning stages. My advice, step away from the computer. Take some time to FULLY process what is happening here, to determine if their is any room for forgiveness. Was this a one time thing? Or a full blown mistress? Does he want to be forgiven? Does he want to save his marriage? Or are the two of you really ready to call your marriage quits? I know your upset and hurt and dying on the inside, but for the girls, you may need to swallow some of that pain. Slow down and think before you make any decisions you might regret.

You said yourself that you are in the beginning stages. My advice, step away from the computer. Take some time to FULLY process what is happening here, to determine if their is any room for forgiveness. Was this a one time thing? Or a full blown mistress? Does he want to be forgiven? Does he want to save his marriage? Or are the two of you really ready to call your marriage quits? I know your upset and hurt and dying on the inside, but for the girls, you may need to swallow some of that pain. Slow down and think before you make any decisions you might regret.

Great advice. Survivinginfidelity.com is a great resource with many helpful people who share this nightmare of an experience.

:thumbsup2

OP, best wishes to you!

I would actually hold off on Disney for a couple of reasons.

One: I don't know (if you do pursue divorce) whether there will be court proceedings, child support proceedings, child custody issues, and so on and so forth. But sadly, and I have actually seen this happen, he could use your Disney trip against you. He could say, "Hey look at this, not even a month after we decided to call it quits, and she is at Disney World having a great time, smiling; she wasn't torn up inside like she claims to be."

Now, hopefully, he is not a complete loser and wouldn't do that, but I've seen it done. It wasn't Disney, but during a child support hearing, after being accused of being an unfit mother, the mother tried to explain that it was due to his indiscretions that she was so distraught. Well, Exhibit A, they pull out pictures of like 2 weeks after they filed for divorce and she looked happy as a clam, and the attorney pulls the whole, "Does this look like someone that is devastated her marriage is ending?" Luckily, the court saw through all the phony baloney of it.

Secondly, those poor kids are going to have a hard time of it. Maybe having Disney to look forward to will be the medicine they need. Maybe it will be the joy that can snap them out of a really hard, sad thing to experience. I think maybe waiting a few months after things have shook themselves out would be a better idea.

First of all :hug:to you and your family. I've been there and I know the pain and devastation you must feel. I remember feeling so alone, devastated, hurt, sad and angry. It is a huge thing to find out.

I will say that from my experience there would have been no way to go to Disney (this close to finding out)and enjoying it for me. I would have sat there thinking about how this is the last time we would do _______ as a family ever.

2nd if you are already separating and divorce may be a possibility it is EXPENSIVE and you may need some of that money for your situation.

3rd I would get your financial "ducks in a row" so to speak. Get copies of everything together, taxes, pay stubs, mortgage papers etc. Get a couple of copies and keep one with you and give one to someone you trust just in case.

4th your kids may not "know" the entire thing but believe me they know something is up.

5th if you are thinking that divorce may be an option make an appt with a couple of lawyers. Usually the first "visit" is free. My divorce was amicable, we went through mediation and it still cost me almost 10K. Be prepared for that.

6th it's ok to feel what you feel. I cried so much in the shower during those first months. It's ok to be sad, angry, feel violated or anything else you feel.

7th surviving infidelity is a great website and support tool. There are a lot of very helpful people on that site! I read this on that website after my husband rocked my world with his affairs and walked out the door and it took me a long time to believe it but I really agree with it wholeheartedly:

Honey they always affair down:

Yesterday, I was having a conversation with another SIer and a couple of the things we talked about are recurring topics – especially for the newly betrayed wife. After DDay (discovery day), we take such a hit to our self-esteem, and question what it was about the other woman that was so attractive to our husbands? Why did they get the best parts, when we were left with the worst? The truth is, that is not how this works. She is not more attractive. She does not get the best parts.

What’s is attractive about the OW is that they are the sickest, the weakest, the most injured of the pack. The insecure WH(wayward husband), wanting to feel strong and powerful, scans the herd for the easiest to kill. The self assured, the strong, the healthy will not do as those women want nothing to do with a married man. Our wayward husbands, needy and looking for someone to boost his ego, must look for someone beneath them, someone who will look up to him, someone who will make him feel superior, if only temporarily. What better way for an insecure person to feel powerful, and admired, than to pick the least of the bunch? The fact is … they always trade down. If she happens to be prettier, or thinner – it’s just pure luck that the wrapping is worth more than the gift inside. What’s inside, is no match for you. You’re beautiful, and faithful, strong and possibly the mother of his children. The truth is, the OW could be anyone, anyone slow enough to be caught and willing to accept what little our husbands had to offer.

She accepts the very worst parts of our husbands; the liar, the cheater, the deceiver, the broken man. His behavior is lower than low, but that’s okay with her. She’s accepts trashy behavior, because she is trash. She has no self-esteem because she knows her value … her value as the weakest, the most injured of the herd. She accepts his cheating ways and lowlife behavior because she knows her place in the pack – and it’s at the end of the row. Bringing up the rear, it’s just a matter of time before someone singles her out, and uses her for his own selfish reasons in his quest to be admired.

So what happens when we catch him with her? Most often he leaves her where he found her, at the end of the row, at the back of the pack – even weaker and more injured than when he found her. She’s worse for the wear. Trust me, it is her self-esteem that is eroded, not ours. After all, she wasn't able to keep him even considering he was in a "loveless, sexless" marriage to a "cold-hearten woman." Because isn't that the way it always is? How pathetic that she's given the answer to the test, gave it her all, and she still failed? Self-esteem erosion 101.

Retake your position at the front of the pack. Regain your strength. Retake your rightful place.

Betrayal hurts, I know. Boy, do I know. But remember, when they find someone weak enough to have an affair with, they always affair down.

Power and peace to all of the newly betrayed wives today.

Hang in there and know that you WILL survive this and come out the other side :) trust me I know...I've been there!

Oh boy that is something that sucks beyond all reason. How old are your girls?

If you do decide to go on the trip, his butt would NOT be going. I would not go with him to "keep up appearances".

Now should you go? That is really a tough decision and really no one can answer that but yourself.

Many hugs!

Another great site is talkaboutmarriage.com they have forums on how to deal with infidelity, and many people to talk to.

I am so sorry.

Thank you for all the great advice. This isn't the first time he has cheated and I thought we had gotten through it all. I actually thought we were the happiest we had been in awhile just a few days ago. He admitted to the affair after I confronted him, as I found out from someone else. He claims to be sorry and wants to fix things. I have to put my foot down somewhere I feel as this trend just keeps going. Trust me I don't want to walk away from our marriage. That's why I'm only filing for separation right now, need the time to think and see if he actually follows through with counseling this time around.

I have no idea if I should cancel all together or try to go alone. Can I even fly with two small children alone? (4 and 2 years) I always thought there had to be one adult per child. Am I even able to cancel a trip this close? Or amend the dining plan to include one less? Just when I thought I had this whole trip planned.

I will defiantly be joining those sites recommended. This is all so fresh I have yet to really talk with anyone but my close friends. As silly as it sounds, as a grown woman, I'm incredibly scared and embarrassed to tell my family just yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter