Found money? (WWYD)

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
I have a full time job but do occasional freelance work on the side (maybe 10 times a year). The freelance work is with various companies. Some you fill out pay forms on site, some are online, some you send an invoice. What's also confusing is occasionally the payroll company is different from the company/person who hired me.

I *TRY* to make a note when I work, how much I should be paid, when I sent the invoice, and when I get paid.

So I get a check in today's (Saturday) mail from one of the companies I freelance for. :woohoo: That's the good news. The bad news is I have no record of outstanding work for this company.

Adding to the confusion:
  • The paystub doesn't show what day the work is for, simply a two week "pay period". I have no recollection (and checked the calendars I keep records on) of working during that pay period.
  • The pay rate doesn't match (much less) than my "normal" (although that varies by company & event) event.

The way I see it, I have two options:
1) Cash the check. Obviously, we can use it. If there's a mistake it's the company's mistake.
2) Wait until Monday and call the company to see what the check is for.

Man, frustrating to have a check that I can cash and use but know I shouldn't (at least not yet).:guilty:

Hold the check until Monday and call them. If its a mistake (and it sounds like it is since pay rate is wrong and you didn't have anything outstanding with them), they will probably ask you to return it.

I can't imagine why you would cash a check that you think is wrong. Yes its their mistake, but that doesn't mean the money is a gift. If its a mistake its still their money and you need to give it back. If you plan on doing any more work for this company, the last thing you want to do is get in an argument with them about this check.

I have a full time job but do occasional freelance work on the side (maybe 10 times a year). The freelance work is with various companies. Some you fill out pay forms on site, some are online, some you send an invoice. What's also confusing is occasionally the payroll company is different from the company/person who hired me.

I *TRY* to make a note when I work, how much I should be paid, when I sent the invoice, and when I get paid.

So I get a check in today's (Saturday) mail from one of the companies I freelance for. :woohoo: That's the good news. The bad news is I have no record of outstanding work for this company.

Adding to the confusion:
  • The paystub doesn't show what day the work is for, simply a two week "pay period". I have no recollection (and checked the calendars I keep records on) of working during that pay period.
  • The pay rate doesn't match (much less) than my "normal" (although that varies by company & event) event.

The way I see it, I have two options:
1) Cash the check. Obviously, we can use it. If there's a mistake it's the company's mistake.
2) Wait until Monday and call the company to see what the check is for.

Man, frustrating to have a check that I can cash and use but know I shouldn't (at least not yet).:guilty:

If you do #1 and then spend the money what will you use to repay them when they find their mistake. It is possible somebody else did not get paid and will ask where their check is.

#2 is the only path to take.

That sort of thing happened to me, later I found out someone was testing me to see what I would do. It was a good thing I asked. They let me have the money anyhow.

OR

Finder's Keepers! :laughing:

ya...call them. If it turns out it belongs to you you will feel better spending it than if you don't know

Wait until Monday and give them a call and ask for the dates/work the check is for. If it's a mistake then send the check back to them. A good thing that will come of it (besides it's the right thing to do) is that the company will know you are honest and might just send you additional business!

The check might have been sent to you by mistake and meant for another contractor or freelancer. So it helps to wait and ask.

If you send it back via mail then I suggest drawing two lines through your name and also through the check's signature, however I would not make a trip just to drive it back.

I vote for #2. I find your comment If there's a mistake it's the company's mistake. interesting. It may be the company's mistake, but it doesn't give you the right to keep something that isn't yours.

I would never cash a check that I wasn't sure of. If it turns out to be their error, they would probably ask for it back. And I would imagine that they would think twice before asking you to freelance again.

and now that it is Monday---what happened?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter