Found Contact Lost in Eye

I've worn GP lenses for about 16 years now. Those things are exactly what the title says - RIGID. Plus, they're like suction cups, so I can't figure out how 1) you went 6 years with a rigid, hard piece of plastic on your eyeball without having any sort of serious infection or abrasions, and 2) how did it get stuck to your eyelid?

I have left them in my eyes a handful of times & fallen asleep, and OUCH, my eyes are sore the next morning. After 6 years......YIKES! Well, at least the mystery is solved :)

I wore the hard and then RGPs for 27 years. Yes, falling asleep with them could make for a painful experience, esp the original hard type.

How it got so far up and stayed there, I have absolutely no idea. I also don't know where it could possibly have been located that I didn't feel it for so long.

If I had thought it through, I probably wouldn't have even posted about it because it is so far-fetched that it begs skepticism. It was just one of those OMG moments. I certainly have no proof. I do have the lens, for all that proves.

I've been wearing contacts on & off for 26 years (mostly on). My exams have been a lot complete than the ones some of you are describing--my doctor even has a machine that takes a 3D picture of your eyes.

I'd switch doctors if I were you--I can't imagine feeling confident that they'd find anything if they missed a lens in your eye for 6 years.

My exams have been much more extensive as well, and there's nothing about my eyes that would cause my opthamologists to be unusually careful about them so I think what they do for me is standard at their practice.

OP, I agree with the bolded. Were both doctors in the same practice? I am horrified that they could miss something like that!

My exams have been much more extensive as well, and there's nothing about my eyes that would cause my opthamologists to be unusually careful about them so I think what they do for me is standard at their practice.

OP, I agree with the bolded. Were both doctors in the same practice? I am horrified that they could miss something like that!

Amen..

OP never went to a doctor.. This whole thing is made up and now that she got caught in it with people that actually wear lens, see their eye doctor, she is busted....

I do believe the original poster. I have worked in the eye field for over 12 years. This is not the first time it has happened. When the contact moves far enough under the lid you stop feeling it because your eye lid is not actullay rubbing on the contact anymore. It usually works it self out sooner but I have seen stranger things then this before.

Amen..

OP never went to a doctor.. This whole thing is made up and now that she got caught in it with people that actually wear lens, see their eye doctor, she is busted....

I do believe the original poster. I have worked in the eye field for over 12 years. This is not the first time it has happened. When the contact moves far enough under the lid you stop feeling it because your eye lid is not actullay rubbing on the contact anymore. It usually works it self out sooner but I have seen stranger things then this before.

Hmm...edandcolleen, I guess you think sarahkaiserdse is lying, too?

I dont believe 6 years. No way.
I wear gas permeables, and when they roll up on the eye you FEEL it and it hurts.

Another thing-what happened when this contac disappeared??? :confused3

If it was I, the first thing I would have done is search the eye , or get a family memeber to look while I rolled my eye.

I wear soft contacts and I've been worried for a months about a missing contact. I rubbed my eye (my bad) the contact disappeared and I've been hoping it fell out, but I've never had one fall out before and I've been wearing them for 22 years! OP'r, I guess that means I could have 5 1/2 more years of waiting?!:eek:

PS: Don't feed the troll!

:scared1:

After reading all these comments about contacts, I'm glad the Dr. said my reactions were too sensitive to make wearing contacts a good option, and it would be best for me to stick to bifocals. (I can barely stand drops in my eyes)

Amen..

I wear soft contacts and I've been worried for a months about a missing contact. I rubbed my eye (my bad) the contact disappeared and I've been hoping it fell out, but I've never had one fall out before and I've been wearing them for 22 years! OP'r, I guess that means I could have 5 1/2 more years of waiting?!:eek:

PS: Don't feed the troll!

ok...refraining from feeding the trolll :headache:

:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:
That must've hurt- maybe you should see an eye doctor to make sure that it didn't cause any damage. (I got dizzy when you told me that- I'm such a wuss!!):headache:

Just speculating, but internal organs don't have the same types of nerve endings as our skin.... so perhaps the back of the eye doesn't have pain receptors and you wouldn't feel something that went back further than normal.

I lost a gas permeable contact lens in my eye for a few weeks. I thought that I dropped it so I didn't worry when I couldn't find it. My eye was a little irritated but that wasn't unusual when I wore those horrible things. (Thank goodness for soft lenses!)

One day my eye felt weird and my vision was suddenly bad so I removed my lens and discovered that I had two in my eye. I was shocked to think that my lens had apparently been stuck somewhere on my eye.

That was just for a few weeks though and I saw no doctors. I can't imagine years!

What I find funny about this whole ordeal is that people can't believe you can lose a contact. We have had many many patients come in to our office because the RGP lense is so far up under the lid they can not reach it even with a plunger type removal tool. IT does happen sometimes,and buy the time they get to the office because they have been messing around, even we can not find it. You can only move an eyelid so much to look underneath. In any event we have never had a massive infection and never sent in anyone to have a surgical removal because they eventually work them selves out. Most Drs are not going to tell you this can happen because they don't want to freak you out. But in 12 years I have had 3 patients lose a contact that we could not find in the eye, always a hard one and find it up to a year later.

Consider me educated and amazed by these reports!

I've had several eye injuries, one involving hard contacts and two accidents. (Beware of attack lilac bushes & long fingernails while you sleep! :eek: ) All were very painful and threatened my eyesight.

Recently, my DH developed an eye problem and discovered he had a cyst on the sclara (white of the eye). While not extremely painful, dangerous or threatening, it was annoying enough to have the cyst removed ASAP.

OP, count your blessings.

What I find funny about this whole ordeal is that people can't believe you can lose a contact. We have had many many patients come in to our office because the RGP lense is so far up under the lid they can not reach it even with a plunger type removal tool. IT does happen sometimes,and buy the time they get to the office because they have been messing around, even we can not find it. You can only move an eyelid so much to look underneath. In any event we have never had a massive infection and never sent in anyone to have a surgical removal because they eventually work them selves out. Most Drs are not going to tell you this can happen because they don't want to freak you out. But in 12 years I have had 3 patients lose a contact that we could not find in the eye, always a hard one and find it up to a year later.

Well there ya go! "HA!" to the skeptics!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter