Fort Wilderness transportation concerns...

partyoffiveplease

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I am new here and planning a trip for June. Our party will include 5 adults and 5 children. I am tossing around options on where we need to stay. Right now I am comparing either booking individual rooms at PC or getting cabins at FW. My main concern with FW is that I have read a lot of negatives regarding the transportation. How hard is it just to drive your own vehicle since you park it at the cabin? I do realize that we would have to pay for parking but would this cost outweigh having to wait on buses to other parks? Did this make or break your trip? Would also love to hear more about FW if you want to share your experience there. Thanks!

Driving your own car from the cabins to the parks is a piece of cake. Easier than at other resorts because your car is right outside your cabin. What's difficult is intra-campground travel if you do not have a golf cart. Then you will be relying on campground buses, which aren't terrible, but still just another thing to deal with. And if you don't have your own car, you would have to take two buses to get the to parks which would be time consuming.

As others have said:

Travel to other parks? You can just come out of your cabins, get in the car(s), and drive to the other park. You'll come in with all of the people who just drove in from off-site. But when you get to the "parking fee toll booth", you show them your "I'm staying at a Disney Resort" parking pass, and they won't charge you. The only Disney transportation you'll take, will be the tram from the parking lot to the park. (Well, if you're going to Magic Kingdom, then it's a bit more complicated. But, if you're going to MK, then there's a boat from the campground's boat dock to MK.)

However, you will likely still need to travel, within the campground. You'll like to eat at Trail's End, won't you? Go to the pool? Some of the activities?

For those, you're either talking the internal "campground only" buses, or renting multiple golf carts. (They don't rent a 10-person golf cart.)

You pretty much can't use your car within the campground, for things like going to the pool or restaurant.

Driving to parks was easy. Due to having to bus everywhere in the campground we didn't use one amenity in there. If I want a full kitchen and drive my car - I'll be at Bonnet Creek where I have way more space and can walk to the amenities and pay less than a fifth the cost. For us it ended up being a deal breaker.

... Travel to other parks? You can just come out of your cabins, get in the car(s), and drive to the other park. ... (Well, if you're going to Magic Kingdom, then it's a bit more complicated. But, if you're going to MK, then there's a boat from the campground's boat dock to MK.)...
We stayed at the FtW Cabins with our car for the first time last Fall. We loved it so much, we're returning this coming Sept. Getting to MK, we took the boat and it was very quick. But another time we were going somewhere with the car after MK, so we wanted to park at the TTC. We couldn't figure out a good way to get to the TTC parking lot from FtW. We ended up going by POR/POFQ on Bonnet Creek Pkwy, then on to the "Epcot" expressway, exit to World Drive north, then to the toll booths. We couldn't find anything describing a more convenient route. Is there one?

Yes, exit the campground by turning right. You will dead end at the road the feeds the MK resorts, and will have to turn right. At the traffic light, turn left, which takes you by the TTC and Poly. The road will dead end just past Poly. Turn left (you will see the MK parking lot on your left. Once you feed in with the traffic, you will see a sign to return to MK parking on the left. Turn there and you feed back into the MK parking lot. You are basically just making a big circle around the parking lot before entering it.

I don't know that one way or the other saves any time or miles, but it is a different method (and it "feels" closer, lol!)

Yes, exit the campground by turning right. You will dead end at the road the feeds the MK resorts, and will have to turn right. At the traffic light, turn left, which takes you by the TTC and Poly. The road will dead end just past Poly. Turn left (you will see the MK parking lot on your left. Once you feed in with the traffic, you will see a sign to return to MK parking on the left. Turn there and you feed back into the MK parking lot. You are basically just making a big circle around the parking lot before entering it.

I don't know that one way or the other saves any time or miles, but it is a different method (and it "feels" closer, lol!)
Oh, thank you! I could see on a google map that there was a road over there, but didn't realize there was also a "return to MK parking" sign. I'm sure that's a shorter way (maybe not much) and if we need that parking lot next trip, we will sure try it. Funny, after over 30 years of trips, there are still new things to learn! Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter