Fort Wilderness DVC: Rumour confirmed?!

I think another DVC option in the MK area would be amazing. If they could redesign RC for use by DVC that would be an even bigger bonus and the best reason to add on there!!

I really like the idea of a Fort Wilderness DVC resort. We loved the old River Country as well as Discovery Island and a resort in this area would really be neat.

I think another DVC option in the MK area would be amazing. If they could redesign RC for use by DVC that would be an even bigger bonus and the best reason to add on there!!

River Country closed before we ever started going as regulars to WDW, but I thought I read something about the water not being good for swimming and that is why they closed it. So wouldn't that mean they probably wouldn't open something like that for a DVC resort?

I mean, if they had a water park type thing there, but would be really nice, and would be a draw for us too.

River Country closed before we ever started going as regulars to WDW, but I thought I read something about the water not being good for swimming and that is why they closed it. So wouldn't that mean they probably wouldn't open something like that for a DVC resort?

I mean, if they had a water park type thing there, but would be really nice, and would be a draw for us too.

River country did have at least 1 pool maybe more and was a big area which they could do something like SAB possibly. I been to RC several times but that was a looooong time ago!

River Country used water directly from Bay Lake. And it has deteriorated badly since it was closed. In order for something similar to replace it, it would be pretty expensive. It would need a different water source, a chlorination and filtration system would need to be added. Likely there would be a new pool with a new Resort or DVC, but nothing extravagant.

River Country was closed because untreated water ways in warm climates have a very nasty amoeba that can cause severe infection and even death. Health officials strongly advise against swimming in untreated lakes and rivers in Florida.

I think it would be fabulous. I love that area.

As to the trailer park, :rotfl2: really hilarious when many of those trailers cost in excess of $100,000.

I personally wouldn't stay in any place pets were allowed, can't trust alot of pet owners to control what their pets do. I also wouldn't want to own at a place that allowed pets because it may drive up dues due to the added housekeeping and maintenance it would entail. I may be in the minorty though.

I don't imagine you would have to worry about that, a DVC that would allow pets would need the 11 month booking to even get in.

From the looks of the villas lately seems that some members can not control their family members either. I don't think pets would be much different. Either people take care of things or they don't.

For everyone that hasn't been to FW, just go take a look. Go eat at Trail's End, take the time to really look around.

Pete Werner found out that it really is a special place but the only way he could do that was to stay there. the people are, for the most part friendly.

Then come back here and let us know what you think.

I can't wait it go back!

I would seem odd, though, for DVC/Disney to build a resort that they market as "Deluxe" in such close proximity to the campgrounds, even though Ft Wilderness is very nice, it is still perception, perception, perception. Especially at the price DVC will surely be asking. If they had wanted to do so, it seems it would have been much cheaper to put in DVC across from POP century instead of the Art of Animation. The utilities and infrastructure was already there, and that is the reason they gave for abandoning Eagle Pines and building SSR.

I would seem odd, though, for DVC/Disney to build a resort that they market as "Deluxe" in such close proximity to the campgrounds, even though Ft Wilderness is very nice, it is still perception, perception, perception. Especially at the price DVC will surely be asking. If they had wanted to do so, it seems it would have been much cheaper to put in DVC across from POP century instead of the Art of Animation. The utilities and infrastructure was already there, and that is the reason they gave for abandoning Eagle Pines and building SSR.

I think the proximity to MK is the main reason, they think that will sell it. Plus the "wilderness theme" seems to be popular with VWL and FW. I don't think a resort across from Pop Century would sell well.

If they sold SSR they can sell this.

I would seem odd, though, for DVC/Disney to build a resort that they market as "Deluxe" in such close proximity to the campgrounds, even though Ft Wilderness is very nice, it is still perception, perception, perception.

I think the proximity to MK is the main reason, they think that will sell it.

I think that, in this case, location, location, location will win out over perception, perception, perception. Especially if they theme it right. After all, AKL is a deluxe resort, but I, for one, would not have associated "deluxe" with "Africa". And I love AKV; they are gorgeous.

I own at SSR and I am not sure why so many people seem to think it is such a bad resort. I will admit that many of the other DVC resorts are more charming but SSR although large is also really beautiful. The landscaping is wonderful and diverse and the proximity to Downtown Disney is nice.

I think Villas at FtW would be interesting but I can't help but think there is going to be some problems with perception and implementation. As a vacation club member I cannot use Storm along Bay or the pools at several other DVC properties unless I am staying in those villas. Would the same need to be true for any pool built at FtW. Would it be fair to allow someone staying on a campsite access to the pool that will be maintained with DVC member fees and higher room charges? Or perhaps there will be a huge spike in the cost of the camping options.

As long as they'd include parking next to the DVC vs the internal bus system, I think it'd be a great addition. After HDD one night when the weather precluded the boat back to WL we wound up looping thru the campground to pick up other guests:rolleyes:the bus driver pointed out a road on 2nd loop and said it'd take us directly to the resort - if they let him use it. Wonder if they'd open the road over to WL for guests to use for access out campground area to MK?

I own at SSR and I am not sure why so many people seem to think it is such a bad resort. I will admit that many of the other DVC resorts are more charming but SSR although large is also really beautiful. The landscaping is wonderful and diverse and the proximity to Downtown Disney is nice.

We, too, really enjoy SSR.

I think Villas at FtW would be interesting but I can't help but think there is going to be some problems with perception and implementation. As a vacation club member I cannot use Storm along Bay or the pools at several other DVC properties unless I am staying in those villas. Would the same need to be true for any pool built at FtW. Would it be fair to allow someone staying on a campsite access to the pool that will be maintained with DVC member fees and higher room charges? Or perhaps there will be a huge spike in the cost of the camping options.

I am wondering if it would be like BLT, where CR guests cannot use the BLT pool, but BLT guests can use the CR pool.

I doubt campground guests could use the DVC pool. I agree it's like BLT and the Contemporary.

The problem with SSR is they built it too big. They just wanted to sell as many points as possible and used the line "buy here, stay anywhere". So that has created more demand on the other resorts at 7 months. Did you ever see a post that said "I reserved my home resort at 11 months and want to switch to SSR at 7 months"? Except for maybe a THV. Then CRO has a hard time filling the empty SSR rooms without big discounts, which has pushed up the non-DVC point costs.

It's interesting to read all the comments about what would be good or bad for a DVC at FW. My take is this: Bottom line this is exactly what DVC should be, something for everyone. I would like the idea of a River Country area DVC for the variety that it would give to us.

I doubt campground guests could use the DVC pool. I agree it's like BLT and the Contemporary.

The problem with SSR is they built it too big. They just wanted to sell as many points as possible and used the line "buy here, stay anywhere". So that has created more demand on the other resorts at 7 months. Did you ever see a post that said "I reserved my home resort at 11 months and want to switch to SSR at 7 months"? Except for maybe a THV. Then CRO has a hard time filling the empty SSR rooms without big discounts, which has pushed up the non-DVC point costs.

I hate to admit it, but I'm actually going to switch at my 7 month mark to SSR.

But wait, I have an excuse.

We're going to be running the Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon in Nov. We won't have a car for the trip. Only certain Disney hotels/resorts will have bus transportation to the race (which is at 10p) and back (which could be at 3a afterward since there's a party for the runners at EPCOT after the race) or to the expo (to pick up race numbers and such). The expo is at WWS and the race starts there as well, although it finishes at EPCOT.

BCV. BWV, AKV and SSR are the only DVC resorts getting the bus service. The first 2 are not available (and it's still a couple of days until the 7 month mark anyway). We've stayed at AKV a couple of times in the past.

We've never stayed at SSR. This will be our first visit, and it should work out well. We'll walk to DTD for dinner the day before the race. We'll get our bus to/from the events.

But I have to admit, once the race is done, we'll be staying another 3 days and I'll be switching to VWL if available.

So, there you have it. Proof of someone waiting for the 7 month mark to switch to stay at SSR!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter