Fort Wilderness Campsites - Holidays

ty_n_cy

Early Summer Dreaming...
Hi all...

We're taking our kids on a surprise trip 12/12 - 12/16. The biggest surprise is the fact that we actually convinced their grandparents (my parents) to go with us. This will be my parents first ever trip to Disney World.

On our 2nd night, we've got Hoop Dee Doo reservations at 6:15pm. My wife and I were talking about possibly seeing the lights around the campsites that night as well since we've got nothing planned afterwards.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. Is there a way that all 7 of us can 'tour' these lights together? I know about the Sleigh Ride, but it only fits 4 of us. Is there another option?

2. If nothing else, is it condensed enough that we can walk around and see these lights together?

3. How late do the campers tend to keep the lights on over there? My wife and I were thinking of taking my parents and our kids back to AKV after dinner then catching a bus back to Fort Wilderness to tour them ourselves... but we don't want to go if they'll have a large percentage of the lights off already.

We've never been during the holidays, so... this is going to be a special trip for us. We're just trying to find things to do in addition to the parks and other well-known holiday happenings.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

CY

Post this question in the camping section you will find a lot more help there.

1. Is there a way that all 7 of us can 'tour' these lights together? I know about the Sleigh Ride, but it only fits 4 of us. Is there another option?
. . . walk, bike or rent a golf cart
. . . but, usually the golf carts are already rented
. . . the bike barn closes, so you must go the The Fort early

2. If nothing else, is it condensed enough that we can walk around and see these lights together?
. . . THAT IS A ONE HECK OF A LONG WALK
. . . as an example, it is one-mile from check-in to The Settlement (HDDR)
. . . now, figure The Fort's width

3. How late do the campers tend to keep the lights on over there?
. . . many keep their lights on until 11:00pm-Midnight
. . . some go all night
. . . but, campers are individuals, so times vary

We are planning to do this during our trip and our plan is to take a bus to each section as it is to big to walk it all.

That is a bit early for there to be a lot of campers with holiday setups.

Really? It's less than 2 weeks before Christmas. I'd have figured they'd set up far earlier than that.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I was not aware how large the area was. It may be worthwhile to look into using the bus then.

:)

CY

I highly recommend the Wagon Ride as a way to see the decorations.:)

The $8.00 price is a real bargain.:)

Really? It's less than 2 weeks before Christmas. I'd have figured they'd set up far earlier than that.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I was not aware how large the area was. It may be worthwhile to look into using the bus then.

:)

CY

I would think the issue with the bus is that it doesn't go in to the loops.

FW has kind of two main roads that connect all the loops. I can't think of any plan that wouldn't require you to get on a bus, get off walk a quarter mile or so through a loop, get back on, go down the road a bit to the next loop and so on and so on.

Here is a map of FW that shows all the bus stops and the loops they service, it maybe best to post this question in the Camping Forum and ask which loops tend to have the best decorations and concentrate on those. Also all the loops in the south west are cabin loops and I don't think they decorate as much.

Also one last point for anyone else reading this, only FW guests are allowed to drive in the resort so even if you had your own car you would have to park it at the main parking lot and take the bus to get around.

fort-wilderness-map.jpg

How long after Christmas do they leave the lights up?

Its all done by the campers not Disney so its whenever they leave after the holidays.

I would assume there will still be campers with decorations up until the weekend after New years.

Really? It's less than 2 weeks before Christmas. I'd have figured they'd set up far earlier than that. Thanks for the replies everybody. I was not aware how large the area was. It may be worthwhile to look into using the bus then. :) CY

You will love it! Tons of decorations will be up...there are sites decorated now!

WEDWDW said:
I highly recommend the Wagon Ride as a way to see the decorations.:)

The $8.00 price is a real bargain.:)

Yes, this! I'm surprised no one else suggested it. From everything I've read, this is a fun thing to do, for a great price ($8 a piece, and it lasts 45 minutes?, I think....lol). I guess if you go at the right time of night, they even pull over and let you watch the MK fireworks. :) If you Google 'Fort Wilderness wagon rides' you should be able to find all the information. We are hopefully doing this Christmas week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter