Fort Wilderness Cabins

BuzzLiteyear

To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at t
I am considering FW Cabins for a trip in December. I was wondering if the transortation to the parks takes longer than other parks (given you have to use internal transportation or walk to bus stops)? I've seen some positive reviews of the cabins. What are some of the drawbacks (if any)?

You might want to post this in the fort/camping forum. I have stayed at the campground in an rv several times. The internal buses run well most of the time. Sometimes they are slow. they take you to the main bus stop where you take another bus. You can rent a golf cart which can get you around pretty fast if you don't mind the extra expense.
I stayed at the cabin only once- I thought they were cute and large compared to a hotel room. the fort is a nice place to stay and they recently renovated the pool.
I have always found Disney's transport to be spotty. sometimes it runs very well, other times I have felt like it couldn't get any slower. I find the buses around the boardwalk/beach club to be very frustrating and slow.
I am sure you will receive many diff opinions.

We (myself, dh, ds 14, ds 6, mil and fil--I don't know their ages, lol) stayed at a cabin the week after Thanksgiving. I can't think of a single bad thing about it. Transportation was fantastic (both internal and external, and the ride directly to MK was awesome), Mousekeeping was superb about leaving towel animals and running the dishwasher, and it was soooo peaceful and quiet after a long day at the parks. The only reason we aren't staying there this year is because we want to be on the monorail. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

If you are not driving, rent a golf cart for your running around within the Campground. That will really save a lot of time going to the main bus stops or the boats, or to other locations. The campground is pretty large. The internal buses work fine, but with the golf cart you don't have to wait so much.

And our DGD3 thought it was another ride! She got a big kick out of the 5 of us riding in our little car!

I've stayed at the Fort several times. I find the internal/external transportation to be more efficient than, say, POR/POFQ where the theme park buses make the rounds. I've been next to the last POR bus stop a couple times, and I can't tell you how many times during "rush hour" the buses were so full they didn't even stop. You can request to be in the loop closest to the Outpost (where all the park buses except MK are) - it's a reasonable walk (maybe 15 minutes tops) and you would only need internal transport to go to the marina for MK or to go around within the Fort.

If you're driving, it's really nice to have your own assigned parking space. You can actually drive to the parks (don't drive to MK though) and not have to circle the lot looking for a space when you return.

Drawbacks? Hmmm . . .well, you don't have room service (not even pizza). You can get takeout from Trails End up by the marina, but there's no delivery to the cabins. If you order from off property, you'll have to meet them at the overflow parking lot near the Outpost, because they can't get into the Fort. So if having your meals delivered is an issue, that can be a drawback. Along the same lines, you don't have a traditional CS option at FW. You have the takeout, and there is a snack bar at the Meadow pool with sandwiches and individual pizzas, but no food court or anything like that. Most people have supplies for quick meals in their cabins, so there's not as much call for that. That's pretty much the only drawback in my opinion. And the peacefulness and quiet of the resort more than makes up for that small drawback.

You will love the Fort in December. The decorations are phenomenal!

We stayed in the Cabins a couple of times and we loved it. I personally did not find the transportation to be a problem - but then again, I do not find it a problem where ever we stay - I plan on waiting for a bus periodically.
If waiting for a bus is an annoyance for you personally, it may be a problem.
There is an internal bus to the buses to the parks, so yes it can be a bit longer than other locations. But as already mentioned, some resorts have multiple stops and many resorts share buses.
We have done the fort with our own car - very convenient to everywhere other than the MK> We have done it relying only on Disney transportation and we were fine. One trip we rented a golf cart and that was super convenient. Our kids too, thought it was another ride.
We loved the Cabins. FW is great. There is lots to do. Having the extra space and the full kitchen is really nice.
Have a great trip.

LOVED the cabins, but we found the transportation to be a little tedious with small kids (they were 3 yo and 6 months at the time). The extra space was great for naps though, while the baby napped the 3 yo could watch a movie or go outside looking for squirrels and bunnies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter