Fort Wilderness Cabins.....

kathfish

Mouseketeer
Ooops, originally posted this on the resorts board. Of COURSE it belongs on the camping board. :)

Got some questions for the experts.....

Got this resort as a result of the 4/3 deal, have ALWAYS wanted to stay here!

Where do I want to stay??? Loops, loops and more loops! Some of them look SO far away from everything!!! Where do I want to be? I heard about VIP cabins... what's this all about?

Transpo... I hear scary stories... I guess, though, if I just allow extra time I should be good. Will I, though, have a mile long walk to get to a bus or the boat?

Groceries.... with the kitchen in the cabin I am SO going to do a webgrocer or something... will they deliver to the cabin or just to the check in?

I'm assuming you must have a license to rent a golf cart....I would love a cart, but do not have a license....

We are going in Jan... do you think the outside activities will still be on? Campfire, movies, horseback....

Well, those are my questions for now. Any and all input is appreciated!

SO EXCITED

TIA

We love the cabins......

first question- What loop? I have always been 2600. It just works out that way. It is close to the pool and the bus stop. Are you getting a golf cart? If so , then the distance isn't really that important. I have read here on this forum that you can get the 100 loop cabins. The draw back is that it is near a foot path and might not be as quiet.

Bus stops aren't too far away from the cabins. YOu might request a cabin closer to the loop entrance and that will help with the walking. Using the bus system will take you longer. That is just the way it is. We sometimes drive.

Garden Grocery i hear is a good place to get groceries. We rent a car so we stop at Publix. Also if you take transportation other then with Disney, they will plan a stop for you to get groceries from the airport. There is food at the meadows at the fort but it will cost you. Very expensive but ok in a pinch (milk).

I think you do have to have a license to drive the cart.

I have been in Jan and will be there this Jan from the 19-26th. All activities are still going full blast. We have yet to get to the campfire!!!!! Hopefully this year. Bring your sweatshirts and light jackets.

Hope this helps

Great info!

Thank you so much.....

We will be there Jan 14-20!

One other question, the grill, it's charcol and I will have to bring briquetts, I assume. Correct?

Great info!

Thank you so much.....

We will be there Jan 14-20!

One other question, the grill, it's charcol and I will have to bring briquetts, I assume. Correct?

Yes you need to supply the charcoal. Conveniently, it is for sale in bags that are just the right size for one barbecue at the Trading Posts. More expensive than you would pay at a grocery store, but it is right there for you. I think they will even give you a free pack of matches. :)

I think your other questions were answered accurately. With regard to the VIP cabins, they are basically identical to all of the other cabins, but they sit on the camping loop closest to the Settlement area. There are only two, and they cannot be reserved- you have to ask if they are available when you check in. While it might be cool to be in one of those cabins, I don't think I would ask for one on my first trip. They are convenient to the amenities at the Settlement area of the campground, but not real convenient to anything else. I suggest that you just request a cabin that is near the front of a cabin loop. That will put you close to a bus stop, and from there, you can go wherever you wish.

TCD

What are the best grocers between the airport and DW? We'll need to stock up on some things.

Is it feasible to drive to some of the parks like the MK? Or is it just better to take the buses from FW?

DO NOT drive to the MK. That is the one park where you really need to use Disney transportation. Take a bus (or cart, or bicycle) to the Settlement/Marina area, then a boat to Magic Kingom.

If you drive, then you have to park at the TTC, then take a tram, then take a monorail or Ferry to the Magic Kingdom.

The other parks are easy to drive to from Ft. Wilderness. However, take a Left when exiting the campground, then follow the signs to the other parks. Taking a right will take you through the TTC and past the Poly, Grand Flo, etc., with some very slow traffic and speed bumps.

Having said all that, I always use the busses to go everywhere. I do have a bicycle to get me around the campground though.

Agreed...do not drive...the boat is the best way to MK and that is an attraction all in itself! As for groceries...there's a great Publix on 192...

Great information. We booked the cabins for the first time for May. I've wanted to try these for a while now.

OMG,,Ya'll left out the most important question!! So I'll just answer it for ya'll.

Yes you can fish. If you can't bring your own pole,,you can rent one for a couple'a bucks at the Meadows/BikeBarn.
Of course, this is something you may want to do IF you have spare time.

Have a GREAT time ya'll !!:thumbsup2

Is it feasible to drive to some of the parks like the MK? Or is it just better to take the buses from FW?

When we were there in Aug - we drove to all parks except MK - We found it very easy and quick - and less bus hopping

You also have the option of taking the bus down to the Marina and taking the boat to the contemporary and then the monorail. We found this to be the fastest and the kids loved the change from the bus rides.

Just got back today. Drove to all parks but MK, so I can't compare bus vs drive. Campground busses were mostly no problem. Golf cart not necessary.

Get real groceries before you arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter