Fort Wilderness Cabins - Transportation ??'s too

wundermommy76

Mouseketeer
Okay, someone on another board directed me here regarding my questions about the Fort Wilderness Cabins. Myself, my husband, mother-in-law, and our 3 kids (ages 10, 7, and 3) are going to Disney World Oct. 30th - Nov 5th and staying at the Fort Wilderness Cabins because of it's capacity to hold 6 people. I found a site that rates the cabins and Fort Wilderness Resort and it got great reviews, so I'm happy with our choice! BUT, the one complaint I did see, over and over, was the internal bus system. Most people didn't have to wait too long for a bus...5-10min mostly. But the complaints were of long trips on the buses to places like Animal Kingdom - that's an hour long ride on the bus from FW cabins?? And much longer rides at night coming BACK from any of the theme parks. So many reviews mentioned this problem that now I'm starting to get worried - I don't want a good portion of our day wasted or frustrated on bus rides. We are flying down, so can not bring our bikes to ride in the resort- besides only our kids have bikes, not us. The golf carts are so expensive and we didn't want the added expense if we didn't need it because this trip is costing us enough already, lol- but it is a consideration still. We will definitely have to hit up one of the trading posts to purchase items like snacks & breakfast food to keep at the cabins. Should we do that before going to our cabins after check in? We are using the Magical Express from the Orlando Airport so we won't have to worry about our luggage. But one reviewer said how frustrating it was to go to the cabin by bus, then have to go back out on a bus to buy things like milk, bread, etc, and come back on the bus that it took a couple hours just for that little trip. Can anyone tell me what the bus system is like, how long the rides are to & from the parks, and how long is the walks to the bus stops? We are going today at 4pm to meet with our travel agent to officially book the trip and I did read that many people suggested trying to book a cabin in the 2500 loop because it is close to a bus stop, pool, and laundry facility. Are there any other loops close to a bus stop in case that one is not an option for us? This is our 1st time down there at any resort and our 1st time back to Disney in over 16 years so we are going down there completely clueless as to how much things have changed and to actually staying on the Disney grounds. We are so looking forward to this trip - going to Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, and the Hollywood Studios are part of the plan. Just want to get an idea how long those trips were from FW Cabins so we could try to plan accordingly to give ourselves the most time at these places. Any advice or tips you can provide would be very greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!!!!

First off, let me say that I think you've made a great decision to stay at FW with the ages of your children.

We've stayed at FW multiple times in both the cabins and campsites. Personally, I think the transportation issue is way overblown (at least in our experiences). We've also stayed at POR, WL, CSR, and POP and I would rate the wait times for buses about the same and even worse at POR. The trip to AK is longer but that's due to the location of AK. POR, WL, CR, and FW are all relatively close to each other so travel time should be about the same to AK from any of those resorts. I haven't stayed at a cabin recently, but I believe 2 of the 3 internal bus routes now pass by the cabin loops. I'm assuming both of these routes will make stops at the cabins but someone will correct if that is wrong. Also, if you're not aware, you won't take a bus to MK... you catch a boat at the FW marina.

A golf cart will obviously cut down the bus time and you can definitely save money by renting offsite. Here is a recent thread relating to that and I believe the weekly rate posted by a couple of people in there was $245.

As far as groceries go, have you considered placing an order with someone like Garden Grocer? I've seen many reports where people have placed an order with them and the groceries have been in the cabin when they arrive. The trading post prices are high so this is probably a cheaper option.

Have a great trip :thumbsup2

The cabin bus stop is maybe 3 min at most. The Forts internal bus system runs every 10mins. There is a boat to the MK and it runs every 20min and it’s about a 20min ride. There are a few way to EPCOT Bus or Boat then Monorail. Buses run every 20min from outpost to all the parks except MK. There is No Way it took 2 hours to go to the trading post to get snacks & breakfast food. Anyone can walk it from the cabin in less than 15mins.

Let me preface my post by saying that I have never stayed at FW...not yet anyway. BUT, I have been to WDW several times in recent years and have a feel for the bus system, most of which (from what I've read on here) cannot be so disimilar from the bus system in and around FW...at least for the purposes of what I am about to suggest as this is what we are going to do when we are at the Fort in August.

First, we are going to order our groceries on-line at Garden Grocer to eliminate the need to go out for groceries...you can get anything from water to soda to cereal to meat. You order what you want and they deliver it to you at the Fort. At first, things seem very expensive, but then we put a rough value on our time at WDW and found that we'd be willing to pay extra for groceries if it meant not having to hassle with getting groceries at a store or outpost after we arrive. Your Garden Grocer box of food/drink shows up at your door and you are stocked for your entire trip without even having to to lift a finger. I think they are at w w w.gardengrocer(dot)com.

Second, we simply cannot see doing the Fort without renting a golf cart. I gave some deep thought to exiting our cabin each day and seeing the walk ahead of us....whether it be to a bus stop, pool, etc., which can be quite some distance away. And what if your long walk to the bus is just the pre-cursor to walking around a theme park all day?...then coming back to clean up just to walk to the bus stop again for a dinner ressie....in the Florida heat. Really,, I have thought this through and a golf cart is a must (at least for us).

Good luck
Joe

Thank you so much for all the info you've already provided!!! We will definitely check out the GardenGrocer site - I did see that posted somewhere else and the price may be very well worth the convinence! I am definitely going to look into contacting the link you provided for the golf carts. I think maybe that is the way to go. but I'm worried cause there's 6 of us and I read somewhere (the same place that said Disney rents them for $63 a day?) that only 4 allowed on a cart at a time. ::sigh:: We are all thin and I think we could all fit if 2 kids sit on our laps, but I wonder if they would stop us and not allow that?

We always use the busses, both the internal and the Park busses. There is a bus stop near the entrance of every loop, so you will not have very far to walk if you choose to walk. The internal bus takes you to the Outpost for catching the Park busses. It also goes to the Marina, the trading posts, the pool, etc. Those times you have heard are WAY off, although you might have some 15 minute waits at times. Be sure to familiarize yourselves with the Fort layout and the bus identifiers so you catch the bus heading in the right direction. Also as mentioned above is that a boat goes to the MK from the Marina. From the MK dock, you can also catch the monorail to the TTC and transfer to another monorail to EPCOT. An alternative from MK is to take the ferry to the TTC and catch the monorail to EPCOT. Some resorts are also on the monorail line in case you want to go resort hopping or have dinner reservations at one.

Oh my, there are so many details for a first timer to learn I can't cover everything. Study this forum and relax and enjoy.

The last time I stayed at the fort, I rented a golf cart from Disney. I told the girl there was 7 of us, one being a baby. She told me that they didn't have a problem with having more than 4 people on the golf cart, as long as everyone was seated.
My husband never went to the park or driving around with all of us, so he didn't count.
We were able to put 6 in the cart. My daughter and I sat up front with me holding the baby. My son who was 27 at the time sat with my grandson's who were 6 and 11 at the time. I'm not skinny but the rest of the family is. lol everyone was able to sit and beside my son was able to hold the baby's stoller too. The seat are really bigger than they look on line. As far as taking the buses the year we stayed at the fort without a golf cart, we didnt think we had to wait too long at all. We still enjoyed our stay at the cabins.
But in saying that, let me say that we really enjoyed riding around the fort with a golf cart, as it was so much fun.....

We have stayed at the cabins for 8 years are senior citizens and have only rented a golf cart at Christmas time to see the sites and for a 3am shuttle launch. The internal bus system is great you have both the purple bus line and the orange bus line that goes right by the Meadows trading post, pool and movie, about a 5 minuet ride. All the loops have a bus stop right near the start of the loops about a 5 minuet walk depending on where you are in the loop.We have traveled to many other resorts and find that the walk to the bus stops can be a lot more then at the Fort. The distance from the 2500 loop to either the Settlement (boat dock) or the Outpost (park bus stops) is a mile, a nice walk either way if you don't want to take an internal bus. The golf carts are fun but they spend most of the day at the bus stops while you are at the parks. Relax and enjoy your trip you will find that the bus horror stories are really blown out of proportion.

Garden Grocer was perfect for us. We flew in and had no rental car.
The groceries I ordered online were waiting for us in the cabin. Milk was in the fridge and ice cream in the freezer. Even the fruit was ripe. My only mistake was not buying enough. We had to stop by the trading post a couple of times during the trip to supplement. Don't forget the bottled water -- tap water tasted funny.

Internal transportation was no problem. Yes, you have to walk from your cabin to the bus stop, but it's similar to walking from your hotel room to the bus departure point of a "regular" hotel. You can't beat the boat direct to the Magic Kingdom, and the bus rides to the other parks are manageable.

You will love the cabin. Spacious, no noisy footsteps from the people upstairs, full kitchen including table, picnic table on the deck, kids can play outside while you're getting ready. Only problem is lack of storage space, so you have to be creative.

Something to think about is your sleeping arrangements. There are two single bunks and a double in the bedroom, plus a double murphy bed in the living room. If you want to give grandma the murphy bed, then two kids will have to share a single. Otherwise you have to have grandma in with the kids.

Have a great time!

2010 and 2011 we camped at the Fort the week before Easter. Both times we parked our car when we arrived and didn't get back in it until the end of our stay. That's one of our favorite things about staying on-site. Yes, sometimes we waited for buses (I'd say 15 minutes max). And sometimes we didn't. We planned a wait into our schedule. When we waited and rode on buses we used that time to relax, talk to each other, put on sunscreen, organize our backpacks, talk to/listen to other people, look at maps of the parks and time guides and plan our day, etc. What we didn't do was get lost and argue, which is what happens when we drive somewhere. We didn't have a golf cart either, although we almost got run over by a few :). I think the longest bus ride is to AK which I think took about 15 minutes from the Outpost (front of FW). The best transportation is the boat from FW to MK. Some days we did boat, bus and monorail for a transportation triple play. We brought all the groceries that we needed in with us so that wasn't a concern. I think it's really all in one's attitude toward buses. We did sometimes have to stand on the buses. And sometimes my DSs stood even when they didn't have to because it was like a ride! So, the buses can be done but you do have to judge your party's stamina and patience for doing so.

Thank you so much for all the info you've already provided!!! We will definitely check out the GardenGrocer site - I did see that posted somewhere else and the price may be very well worth the convinence! I am definitely going to look into contacting the link you provided for the golf carts. I think maybe that is the way to go. but I'm worried cause there's 6 of us and I read somewhere (the same place that said Disney rents them for $63 a day?) that only 4 allowed on a cart at a time. ::sigh:: We are all thin and I think we could all fit if 2 kids sit on our laps, but I wonder if they would stop us and not allow that?

I'm in a similar situation - we are 5 adults and 1 child sharing a cabin. From the golf cart thread I found a place that rents & delivers 6 person carts - our rate for a week in August is $345, which works out to be $57 per night. Here's the contact info:
Steve Senesi
Regional Sales Manager
Golf & Electric Vehicles
18754 E. Colonial Dr.
Orlando, FL 32820
407-947-2013 cell
407-568-8175 fax

The general rule of thumb is to allow 1 hour for transportation. If you want to be at the AK for a 9:00 park opening this meens you are leaving your cabin at 8:00, walking the short distance to the bus stop, boarding then riding the bus, then getting off and walking up to the ticket booths. This usually takes 40 to 45 minutes but there is time built in just in case you just miss one bus and have to wait for another. The actual time on the bus is only about 20 minutes or so give or take.

2010 and 2011 we camped at the Fort the week before Easter. Both times we parked our car when we arrived and didn't get back in it until the end of our stay. That's one of our favorite things about staying on-site. Yes, sometimes we waited for buses (I'd say 15 minutes max). And sometimes we didn't. We planned a wait into our schedule. When we waited and rode on buses we used that time to relax, talk to each other, put on sunscreen, organize our backpacks, talk to/listen to other people, look at maps of the parks and time guides and plan our day, etc. What we didn't do was get lost and argue, which is what happens when we drive somewhere. We didn't have a golf cart either, although we almost got run over by a few :). I think the longest bus ride is to AK which I think took about 15 minutes from the Outpost (front of FW). The best transportation is the boat from FW to MK. Some days we did boat, bus and monorail for a transportation triple play. We brought all the groceries that we needed in with us so that wasn't a concern. I think it's really all in one's attitude toward buses. We did sometimes have to stand on the buses. And sometimes my DSs stood even when they didn't have to because it was like a ride! So, the buses can be done but you do have to judge your party's stamina and patience for doing so.

I so agree....you are on vacation ...and the buses at Disney are just part of the Magic. I for one am so glad to let someone else do the driving. :wizard: You also might want to take a look at WeGoShop.com as another grocery option.

Your family will LOVE the cabins! Like the previous posters said, the bus horror stories are blown out of proportion. I have stayed in the cabins 4 out of the 5 times I've been to Disney and NEVER experienced a problem with transportation. Also, I've never rented a golf cart. I think they are a waste of money if you are just taking them to and from bus stops. They sit most of the day. I would recommend one if you are going to site see around the campground for a day though. It's a big place!

Wundermum... you'll be fine without a golf cart. I'm old school - I walk or take the internal bus when in Ft W. In fact the fort used to be much nicer imho without those crazy gc drivers. The buses come often, and the stops are all over the place.

The one thing transportation wise I will mention, because you said you'll be taking ME in, is that in the rare case that Ft W needs to be evacuated due to a hurricane as it was when I stayed there, a vehicle to get out of there is an absolute necessity. (think traffic jam inside the fort and no way for the CMs to get to you!) You should be fine in your time frame, just keep an eye on the weather, it's been a crazy year.

noticed you have a 3 year old on trip. i would get the golf cart. it always took me at least 20 minutes longer on internal bus than rest of family with golf cart. is a long dark walk from MK boat to bus stop. bus stop there was very dark. mid day buses were longer waits but the longest wait was after late EMH at MK. was a long wait just missed bus and only one running on the loop. kids were in bed before i even got back. also bus stops are covered but open on sides so rain can blow in and not safe if storming. a car would not help at the Fort as cars can only be driven in and out, no car parking at MK end, pools and very little at store. but all said i would go back to Fort in a heart beat if i could afford it but a golf cart to me is necessary for young kids. while we were there a family was trying to get to early show of Hoop Dee Doo. they just missed the campground bus, 25 minutes later, they were ready to walk until they found out how far, not sure they made on time as i got off at one of first stops and they were the last.

We have stayed in just about every cabin loop and have had no trouble with distance to bus stops. I always ask to be near the front of the loop and they have always been able to oblige. If you are down in the 2100 loop or part of the 2200 loop you are an easy walk to the Meadows store/pool/movie.

We have never had a golf cart and never felt the need for one although they are fun.

Have a great time! I will be there in 16 days!!! :cool1:

I have stayed in all the deluxe hotels on Disney property. I have found it’s a much longer walk to the bus stop than any loop I have stayed in. There are only 4 loops I have seen that have a loner walk they are 100,200,400 and 700 because you have to walk to the settlement bus stop. Have a great trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter