• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fort Internet

Docmom

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We just got a Class C and wanted to camp at the Fort for our first real trip. We're about a 45 minute drive and a quick search shows some availability for the end of this week for a couple of days. Problem is DH works online and will need to have decent internet access. The sites that are available now are full and preferred...we'd opt for preferred if still available. I've read the internet is wonky at the Fort, so what's the scoop? He teaches both synchronous and asynchronous classes - fortunately this week is exam week for the synchronous ones so he doesn't have to be online live....but he has to be available for questions, problems, etc. as well as do some work for the other ones. Spending time at the settlement area using their wifi isn't a great option. Is the internet access really horrible there? Would we need to bring our own router or modem or is the one they provide ok? Thanks!

Hi Docmom,

I would not say horrible, it just depends on usage I think and the availability of a cable modem. This should be a slower time, so I would think no problem in getting the modem. It sounds like he should be able to do what he needs to do. I was having some slow times uploading pics, but that is a lot compared to what he will probably be doing.

I would say you should be fine.:thumbsup2

Thanks Tigerdad! Are there a limited number of modems or enough for every site?

Limited number, not enough for every site, but apparently pretty close. When I was there in November there were maybe 4 empty sites per loop, so pretty heavily occupied, but I was still able to secure a modem. You have to go to The Meadows to pick it up, I was not required to make a deposit, just fill out a form prior to handing it over to me.

You "should" have less people there this week than was there in November, this is why I feel like you should be okay.

And Mom,

Bringing your own modem doesn't work. It's been discussed here before so I wanted to save you the trouble.

Bama Ed

When we checked-in at 7:30AM last Wednesday, 1-7, for our Marathon Weekend stay and there were 16 people ahead of us on the wait list. We did not get the unit until 7:30PM.

We checked out Monday to go on the Dream cruise and came back to the Fort on Friday at 9:00AM. At that time we were 7 on the wait list. Got the unit by 3:00PM.

CM informed DW that more units had been ordered.

No real working wifi available at the Fort around the sites. What I did was bring my own wireless router from home and connected to the cable modem we got from the Fort. It worked flawless and everyone was able to surf and enjoy. As a bonus when you are out you can leave the gate open and let neighbors use it if they happen to find it. I would just make sure my computer was shut down to prevent information theft.

We used the router available from the meadows and plugged in a TP Link nano and had wireless for all our devices with no problem

This ^^^^ is what we did last fall, using Verizon network.

Me too snowmedic. I did my recent trip report via tablet and wifi hotspot on the Galaxy Mega with AT&T. Worked fine.

4g LTE may not be enough bandwidth for Docmom's DH though.

Bama Ed

PS - I got a post-trip survey from WDW and I hit them for no wifi in the campground.

DH ended up using his phone's hot spot also. We only stayed 2 nights (LOVED it) and they didn't have a modem available. Actually got the call that one was available when we walked in our house LOL! I used the wifi at the pool when we hung out there but mostly had a media free couple of days. I do find it odd they don't have wifi throughout the campground though. They have coverage in the parks so I don't understand why not the campgrounds. Maybe too much interference from the trees?

Lady at the Meadows store said we could bring our own modem in the future. Anyone ever do this? Would a regular cable modem work?

can i just bring a wireless modem to hook to the cable line? or do i need a regular modem inbetween? ( sorry clueless about rv camping stuff)

can i just bring a wireless modem to hook to the cable line? or do i need a regular modem inbetween? ( sorry clueless about rv camping stuff)

You must use the regular cable modem supplied by the Fort. It has to be registered to work on their account. Then you can connect directly to it with an ethernet cord or hook and wireless router and make you own wifi hot spot.

You must use the regular cable modem supplied by the Fort. It has to be registered to work on their account. Then you can connect directly to it with an ethernet cord or hook and wireless router and make you own wifi hot spot.

So you can't bring your own modem as the CM told me? Confused. :(. DH was able to use his phone's hotspot this time because all he needed to do was check emails and grade some tests since it was their exam week. Don't think that will be enough if he has to do live classes. I might just have to look into a wireless plan with AT&T (our cell phone provider) or some other service. Not just for here but other campgrounds and state parks too.

You can install free software on your phone that converts your smartphone into an internet Hotspot. Thats what I do, no need for WDW Internet access.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter