Formula on planes ??

SaraMc

Hi everyone. I know that you can take formula for you child on the plane but can it be not made up? Ie a bottle of water ready to go with the powder in a baggy, would that be ok? I just dont want it to go bad. Also does anyone know how much you can have with you?

You may want to give the airline you will be flying with a call. At worst, you could buy bottled water inside the airport and fill your bottles with it once you're on the plane.

My daughter will not drink the powder formula anymore. One day she stopped drinking. This went on for days, nothing wrong with her. I tried pre-made formula, and she started drinking it :confused3 I have to take the ready made formula on board, I have heard that you can bring enough for the flight. I plan on packing one more bottle than I need in case of a delay.

The issue is bringing it through security and you are allowed formua for babies and toddlers but only enough for the flight. I doubt you will be allowed to bring water but the powder won't be a problem. I would bring a baby bottle and enough powder to mix up a few bottles. You can then buy the bottled water past the security area in the gate to bring onboard.

The info for the TSA is here,
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

HTH
TJ

I just read thru the link to TSA, they encourage you to only bring as much as you will need on your flight. Well...I will be bringing extra. Who knows if there will be a delay, etc at the airport, in the air or if baby will just happen to be extra hungry during the trip.

What happens if you are at the airport have checked your luggage (with extra formula in it) and then you find out there is a couple our delay and you packed what is needed or an extra feeding. I have been stuck at logan, in the terminal, at the gate or on the runway too many times to count. I don't plan on bringing the entire can (the normal size I use), unless I have a small unopened one. I'll bring a h2o w/me, incase we get stuck in the security line, but dump it before we go thru security. I would rather have one than not...if baby is hungry.
If they let you bring the ones you can buy once you are in the terminal on...do you think you can get one not in the fridge?? I hope so.
I have never looked into premade formula. ONe of my coworkers had little jars of it, almost like baby jars. Do they let you take those?? That may work out better for flying.
Ok....now that I just got myself in a tizzy.

TiggerStac said:
I just read thru the link to TSA, they encourage you to only bring as much as you will need on your flight. Well...I will be bringing extra. Who knows if there will be a delay, etc at the airport, in the air or if baby will just happen to be extra hungry during the trip.

Very good idea!

My good friend was flying to WDW from DC last month & once they boarded the plane, it pulled away from the gate & could not take off due to high winds. They sat on the plane for 3 & a half hours. She didn't know if they would EVER take off! They absolutely would not let anyone off the plane either. She & her DH were stuck there with their 4 kids (ages 9, 7, 5, & 2). She missed her Chef Mickey's reservation that night too!

I'm not sure what the newest rules are, but when I flew a few months ago, they said you could bring for babies OR TODDLERS.. well they made me spill out my then 2 year old's sippy cup and refused to let me bring in on board! Last I checked, a 2 year old is a toddler!!

We flew from Houston to DC (and back again) last month with a 9-month-old. I carried on one bottle of already mixed formula and one bottle with just water in it, plus enough powder mix for three bottles. I also had 2 packs of baby food. I was ready to dump the water if they made me, but it was worth trying.

TiggerStac said:

What happens if you are at the airport have checked your luggage (with extra formula in it) and then you find out there is a couple our delay and you packed what is needed or an extra feeding. I have been stuck at logan, in the terminal, at the gate or on the runway too many times to count. I don't plan on bringing the entire can (the normal size I use), unless I have a small unopened one. I'll bring a h2o w/me, incase we get stuck in the security line, but dump it before we go thru security. I would rather have one than not...if baby is hungry.
If they let you bring the ones you can buy once you are in the terminal on...do you think you can get one not in the fridge?? I hope so.
I have never looked into premade formula. ONe of my coworkers had little jars of it, almost like baby jars. Do they let you take those?? That may work out better for flying.
Ok....now that I just got myself in a tizzy.

Ok - just to clarify the restriction is on Liquids only. You can can bring as much powder mix for formula as you want through security and onto the aircraft. You can only bring a minimal amount of actual (mixed liquid) formula or breastmilk through security. You can not bring milk, soda, water juice etc no matter how young the child is unless you put it in a baby bottle and call it formula or breastmilk. I am not advocating this just saying that breastmilk or formula is one of the few exceptions to the ban on liquids.

Also as a poster above mentioned the TSA Agents are not consistant so even if your child dosen't like powdered formula it may be a good back up plan in case of a delay or an uninformed TSA Agent. Maybe a printout of the information in the link I posted above would be helpful just in case.

You can get water in the gate area and in my experience it is never very cold anyway. You could probably get it warm if you ask - worth the effort.

So IMHO the best bet is a small can of powdered formula or those tubes that make one bottle at a time and then buying the water at the gate. For those who's children only drink the pre-made then one or two bottles "should" make it through security and then some powder for the off chance of a delay may be a good option

Also, the flight attendants will have water and juice onboard for older babies/toddlers but usually won't have milk.

Hope this is helpful ~
TJ

We went to WDW in November. I brought 3 6oz bottles of formula plus powdered formula and we didnt have a problem at all. We used Magical Express and I felt that we needed at least three bottles in case of any delay.

I have flown 3 times with DS who is now 5 months old. Each trip I have had one or 2 pre made bottles (I really don't think it will go bad in 2 or 3 hours) and 2 or 3 extra cans of ready to feed in my other carry on. I have never had an issue. If you can splurge on the ready to feed will save you so much hassle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter