Formal Nights

Wymbolwood

Earning My Ears
My wife and two little girls and I are going on our first Disney Cruise this November - one week Western. I am wondering about the formal and semi formal nights. What is appropriate attire for men?

Thanks.

It is your vacation so dress to be comfortable. However, it would probably be best not to wear shorts/jeans and a t-shirt to those dinners. Those tend to dull the ambiance of the meal. I had business casual clothes (e.g. khakis and polo shirts). My tablemates did the same and we had an excellent time. I cannot enjoy myself when I am stuffed in a tuxedo or strangling myself with a tie.

Have an excellent cruise and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

Last cruise DH and DS wore tuxes and we went totally formal... it was lots of fun and we got some great family pics.... but next cruise we have decided we are going to pack a little lighter. DH is going to wear a button down shirt and a pair of khakis... We *might* pack a navy blazer... We haven't decided yet... but definitely no tux or suit this time. I would say as long as you don't wear jeans or shorts to formal night, you will feel well within the "norm" as far as your dress... There were a lot of men in khakis and polos or button down shirts... The most important thing, IMO, is that you enjoy yourself! :goodvibes

DH hates dressing up, but I love it! What girl doesnt' like to wear a beautiful new dress on a magnificent cruise ship. My DH packs one suit with two ties and two shirts. He only did the tux once for my parents' vow renewal. I believe on the semi-formal nights his tie was an optional choice for him.

My DH wore a suit and tie on formal night and a buttondown shirt and tie with dress pants on semi formal nights. My DS wore a shirt and tie with dress pants both nights.

Great info thanks. I am all for nice dress but do want to avoid the tux. Looks like I'll pack a suit and jacket with some smart dress shirts and be all set.

Last Thanksgiving during our 7 night, on formal night every single adult male in the restaurant had either a tux, suit or sports jacket on.

As this has come up on the boards before I went to the ladies room, stood at the top of the stairs at Lumiere's and looked at each table. Some of the jackets were now on the backs of their chairs but everyone was dressed.

There may be some differences between the shorter cruises but that has been our experience.

It varies greatly in the dining rooms (and you can always choose that night to eat at topsiders and not worry about it at all). My husband and son always wear tuxedos--but we love the dressing up and formal feel of the ship that night.

Officially, shorts, tanktops or swimwear are never appropriate in the dining rooms on any evening, no matter what the suggested dress is. A tuxedo or suit for men is suggested for formal night with a suit or jacket for semi-formal night.

Most cruisers enjoy dressing up for dinner once or twice. If you are dining in one of the main dining rooms, please respect that. No one will force you to wear something you are not comfortable with, however you may be uncomfortable dressed casually when most people will be dressed more formally around you.

If dressing up is not your thing, that's certainly fine. Other dining options where it doesn't matter how you are dressed include sit-down service at Topsiders/Beach Blanket, the food service counters on deck 9 or room service.

On the 7-night or longer cruises, I wear a tux to formal night and a suit or slacks/sportcoat/tie to semi-formal night.

My Dad doesn't own a tux, so he wears a suit to formal night and slacks/sportcoat/tie to semi-formal night.

Generally, on the 7-night cruises, you see men wearing at least a long-sleeve dress shirt and tie or a dress-shirt/sport-coat to formal night. However, as PP's have said, some people are comfortable wearing shorts, t-shirts, polos, etc. when most others are dressed up. Disney requests no shorts on cruise casual night, but some ignore that request even on formal night. :confused3

Will we be complete outcasts if we don't dress up? We're going on a 4 night in November, but DH doesn't want to dress up. I'm ok with it, I mean we won't go in shorts just not formals either.

Will we be complete outcasts if we don't dress up? We're going on a 4 night in November, but DH doesn't want to dress up. I'm ok with it, I mean we won't go in shorts just not formals either.

I've never been on a 4nt, only 3nt (12 years ago) and 7nt--is there a formal and/or semi formal night on the 4nt?

Some family members went on a 3nt in December and I told them how we generally dress for the formal and semi formal nights, but they decided to be more casual--the men wore l/s oxfords with dress khakis and the women wore sundresses and maxi dresses and they all said they felt under dressed. YMMV.

In my family of five, we like to get dressed up a few times a year, so we definitely take advantage of it on the cruise. My oldest (13) will wear a suit and tie, my 7yo will wear dress pants with a jacket, dress shirt, and tie. I'll try to wrestle my 3yo into a "fancy" dress. I don't think that younger kids need to be in tuxes, although my husband will be and I know that other people put their children in tuxes.

We went last Oct and my DH wore slacks long sleeve dress shirt and tie on both formal and semi-formal night. I was worried about not taking a jacket for him but due to weight restrictions that was one item I figured could be left behind because it would get worn TO dinner then put on the back of a chair. We were no in the minority by any means. And just because you don't want to wear a full suit or tux doesn't mean you need to resort to the buffet that night. You still need to go enjoy that nights dinner menu. We are going on the 14 TA in May and again I will leave the suit jacket behind. Weight restrictions from airlines make me think smarter about what is worth packing. Just my $.02!:)

I've never been on a 4nt, only 3nt (12 years ago) and 7nt--is there a formal and/or semi formal night on the 4nt?

Some family members went on a 3nt in December and I told them how we generally dress for the formal and semi formal nights, but they decided to be more casual--the men wore l/s oxfords with dress khakis and the women wore sundresses and maxi dresses and they all said they felt under dressed. YMMV.

In my family of five, we like to get dressed up a few times a year, so we definitely take advantage of it on the cruise. My oldest (13) will wear a suit and tie, my 7yo will wear dress pants with a jacket, dress shirt, and tie. I'll try to wrestle my 3yo into a "fancy" dress. I don't think that younger kids need to be in tuxes, although my husband will be and I know that other people put their children in tuxes.

Good for you for dressing your boys. They all seem to look so nice when they are well dressed in their jackets, tied, etc--and I swear they seem to behave a little more gentlemanly too when they are dressed th part! The little ones don't need to be but they are adorable when they are.
I've been lucky. My son (11 now) loves to dress nicely and wearing his tux is a highlight of a cruise for him. For years I was lucky and able to find tux's in his size at used children's clothing shops for very little money. This past year I was not able to do hat, but I bought him a new one (with everything) for $50 online so it is still good. It is not superb quality, but it looks fine and it does not have to last years they way DH's does as i know he will outgrow it soon.

i own a kilt from a past wedding party and have wore for formal night on past cruises and will again this january. pics look good when everyone's dressed to the 9's.

You'll never be outcast. I usually go "Prep-School boat dressy" in khaki pants, an open-collared button-down, blue blazer, and Topsiders. Never have I felt the least bit awkward. Every cruise, there are people in tuxedos and people in jeans and Hawaiian shirts... not one person has said a THING. Come as you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter