FORMAL Night on the Magic ..... so sad .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
kcashner said:
And...am I the only one who still believes that when the kids are dressed to go "out," their manners improve?

Yep! Our DD is 5 and LOVES to dress up - the more formal and high heeled dress shoes the better!! I like to think she has good manners anyways, but she acts more mature when dressed to the nines!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We enjoy dressing up every evening!! It saddens me that people can't take the time to look nice for one meal.

MillauFr said:
I'm wearing khakis and a button shirt every night.

And that is awesome. The guy in BASKETBALL shorts we saw on the Magic? NOT OK

And that is awesome. The guy in BASKETBALL shorts we saw on the Magic? NOT OK

Agreed. People showing up like they just came from the gym??? I can sympathize with people wishing for a more formal atmosphere.

MillauFr said:
Agreed. People showing up like they just came from the gym??? I can sympathize with people wishing for a more formal atmosphere.

And he totally looked out of place.

ddixon1 said:
What a handsome couple! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful portrait...
IMHO, dressing for the occasion is a matter of respect, for oneself, and for others.
I will continue to dress up (cocktail dress, strappy heals) for dinners, and teach our son the same (at minimum, slacks, button-down, tie) We will travel on the 5-night to Canada with one piece of luggage and one backpack.
I have travelled around the world, and have packing down to a science... And, even as a cash-poor graduate student, I knew how to shop (Marshall's/Tjmaxx)! So, sorry, but I'm just not buying into the "it's too expensive/too difficult to pack" arguments.

Thanks

I too feel like I have packing down to a science and shopping for that matter. I got this dress 3 years ago after homecoming season for $40 @ JCP. I love it cause its flowy on the bottom so if I eat too much theres plenty of room.

I too belive that dressing up is a matter of respect and try to teach my DD that as well. She might not like it but she does it long enough for dinner and the shows.

I would rather see people wear nice khaki shorts or Capri pants in the mdr's than jeans. Jeans bother me. Can't explain it. Especially for men. Don't flame me please. I just don't see how anyone would wear jeans on a tropical vacation. I don't even bring jeans.

Tammy_in_NC said:
We were on the Alaska cruise last week. We are Gold Castaway Cay members and our whole family really looks forward to dressing up for dinner. My boys have tuxedos (they are reasonably priced on eBay). When we went to Formal Night dinner there were probably more people in BLUE JEANS than formal wear !! SO SAD !!! Lot of newbies on this cruise but come on people........can you just wear a tie and khakis ??? We were VERY disappointed. Even people with shorts on. It just ruins it for everyone (in my opinion). Go and eat at Beach Blanket if you want to wear shorts on Formal Night.

This might have already been said but why does anyone else care what other people choose to wear to eat? If I want to dress up I'm not going to care if someone else does not. I'm still going to enjoy how I look. As long as people are clothed I don't care what they where. I never understand why anyone cares about how other people dress to go eat a meal.

I have been on 2 dcl cruises so far. On the last cruise we dressed appropriately for each themed night. We enjoyed dressing up for cruise due to celebrating my MIL's retirement. My wife and I both agree it was too much money and work to get gussied up each evening. Our next cruise we decided we are going for the casual dining experience. I will be wearing shorts and polos most evenings. If this upsets you, remember I will be enjoying my vacation with my family and I won't be worried if you are standing in line behind me fretting about my shorts.

Best line in this whole thread. :thumbsup2.

I doubt I would even notice your shorts if you were in front of me., but you can bet I will be looking for shorts the next time just to watch the fashion police react. I may even join you on formal night to see if 2 pairs of shorts in the same MDR can induce mass fainting from all the indignant gasps. :rotfl2:

I will never understand how some stranger that people have never met and do not care about; can have a negative impact on their vacation by breaking some arbitrary and non enforced dress code.

I found this online and thought it might be helpful:

You have just made at reservation with the restaurant of your dreams. It is a superior steakhouse with dim lighting, a romantic ambiance, and a menu that makes picking an entrée the hardest decision of your life. Its going to be a gala event for you and your guest, and as you allow your mind to foresee the intellectually stimulating and electrifying conversation you’ll be leading over a rich glass of vintage wine and a filet mignon—you realize that you have no idea what to wear. What expectations does a restaurant of such caliber have for their guests? You call the restaurant and ask for the suggested dress, but the standard dress code does not clarify what is expected—it only perplexes you more.
For the most part, restaurant dress expectations can be organized into five categories: casual, business casual, casual elegant, formal, or jacket required. Although these categories can be helpful when preparing for a restaurant visit, they cannot choose the perfect outfit from your closet. What you may need is a guide to help choose a faultless getup for whatever the suggested attire.
Casual

A restaurant that has labeled the dress code as casual may lead guests to believe that the door is left wide open. Yet, as a diner out on the town, keep in mind that when a fine dining restaurant mentions casual, their “casual” expectations are much higher than those of your typical Saturday afternoon on the couch. Your sweats and stained t-shirt are not recommended—you do not want the entrée’s appearance to out-do your own. A casual dress code for fine dining restaurants means comfortable… yet polished. You may want to reference Gap stores, with simple tees or comfy Polo shirts atop fitted jeans, finished with the shoes of your choice. Quoting the more lackadaisical-casual fashions, such as that of Abercrombie and Fitch, where flip-flops and ripped jeans seem to be standard, may not work as well for a fine-dining setting. Think the attire of golf, but not that of surfing.
In defining casual, it may be easier to juxtapose it with what are considered dressier characteristics. Light colors, especially bolds or patterns, are considered more casual than your darks and blacks; and while collared shirts are standard for most fine diners, collarless shirts are only acceptable when casual wear is recommended. Rough fabrics, such as linen and canvas can take an outfit down a couple notches, whereas leather shoes and smooth fabrics will take an outfit up some.
Business Casual

To grasp the concept of outfits that comprise the business casual closet, apply the polished-yet-comfortable look to item you would don to the workplace. Now, understandably, with the plethora of businesses, this dress type becomes obscure, leading to many ideas of what is considered appropriate. The job search engine, Monster.com, offers a definition for this ambiguous category, stating, "In general, business casual means dressing professionally, looking relaxed yet neat and pulled together." The key word in that definition is professional, and when taking clients out to lunch or just meeting someone in general, you want to be apart of the higher stature that the chosen restaurant wants to convey. When recommending business casual, the restaurant most likely wants the guests to feel easful, yet apart of the tip-top dining atmosphere.
For women, business casual comprises suits, collared shirts, knee-length skirts, and tailored dresses. Capris are okay if they are of a dress-pant material, which is usually not denim or heavy cotton (remember rougher fabrics are technically apart of the casual-only category). Tennis shirts and trousers are apart of the business casual’s lower stratum, but just as acceptable. Clothing that reveals too much cleavage, chest, back, stomach, feet or underwear is not befitting for a place of business, nor is it for a business-casual-type setting.
For men, a combination of a collared shirt,which can range from a tenis/Polo shirt or a button down, and dress pants or trousers, such as khakis, all tucked away and made neat with a belt or blazer, is idyllic. The shoes should be in the neighborhood of loafers or tie-ups—sneakers should be excommunicated. Those should always be shed unless entering into a casual-friendly dining milieu In a business-casual work environment, clothing should be pressed and never wrinkled. Convey a professional look, and if you can do that, you won’t have a bit of trouble complying with the restaurants’ recommendations.
Casual Elegant

Now that you saved your jeans and tennies for the casual kitchens, and your blazer and khakis for business-casual settings —what can casual elegant presume? Restaurants calling for this stratum of dress want guests to slip into dressed-up versions of their casual attire. This can vary, depending on the extent an individual wants to dress up. For him, it could be a dark suit or a button down with trousers, made complete by a sportcoat. For her, a formal pants outfit, or a snazzy black dress complemented by an evening wrap or clutch bag would be perfect for such a grand scene. Both women and men will find turtlenecks, darker colors, and leather shoes to be universally accepted as supplements to casual elegant outfits.
Business casual and casual elegant may be troublesome to untwine from each other but the difference lies in the level of personal adornment. Elegant will require more flare, especially for women. You may want to bring out some of the finer jewelry, bolder makeup, and dare to show more skin. Men can don the smoother ties, cufflinks, and may want to wear a black and blue suit before over a gray or tan one.
Formal

Casual elegant is extremely different from formal, so do not bring out your ball gowns for the former category. Those exquisite dresses and tuxedos have a special category all their own, considered formal attire. This category is rare, but when it is suggested, it is imperative that it be followed. The formal standard demands patrons to wear their best, with women in ravishing dresses and men in suits. Formal wear can even go a step above and befall black tie invitations, which call for men to wear tuxedos, and women to wear cocktail or long dresses, or modish, dressy evening separates. A white tie invitation is considered more formal than black tie and requires men to wear full dress, with white tie, vest, and shirt, and women to wear long gowns.
Jacket Required

Usually restaurants calling for jackets required will expect both men and women to be dressed accordingly with formal wear, yet depend on the gentlemen to go the extra mile by wearing a matching jacket. It is suggested that women choose attire that embodies the equivalent of men’s formal suits, while capturing the elegance, more so than the casual, of the casual-elegant category. This elegance can be found in gowns of any length and formal evening separates, including embellished pant suits and decorous dresses with complementing jacket.
Thinking back to that posh date, where you pulled the casual elegance from your closet and allowed yourself to be taken by the flurry of excitement that fine dining can bring, you can understand why dress codes are sometimes suggested by eateries of a certain merit: they wish for their guests to experience the world they have created. You can savor the luxury of top-notch service best when you too look and feel first-rate. The essence of fine dining wants to take patrons out of their ordinary lives, and for two hours, allow them to bask in the extraordinary experience of their choice. To truly be apart of such a supreme culinary happening—one must look the part and one must dress to dine.

I really can't understand some of the posts. DCL is an expensive holiday and this and the fact that I tend to holiday only once a year means I want to make the most of my trip. Whilst we don't go all out with a tux and gowns, we do love to dress up.

What I really don't understand is why people are complaining about having to buy shoes and polo shirts just because they're cruising? When my son was growing up he certainly didn't spend his life in trainers and track pants! Similarly for us, the clothes we wear weren't purchased just for the cruise.

For me it's like Christmas you get out of it the effort you put into it!

The dress code is something the passengers need to self enforce - DCL don't want to spoil anyones holiday.

As a family we do dress nicely , myself and my daughter in a dress and my husband and son in a short sleeved shirt and trousers, but since we travel from Scotland, and have an internal flight to London then the international one to Orlando we simply do not have the luggage allowance to pack suits etc. our cruise is only half of the holiday, so in one suitcase we need beachwear, park wear, cruise wear and of course a bit of room to take home a souveinir or two;).It's cold when we leave Scotland so were lugging around our warmer clothes we travelled in as well, so if some of you sitting at your table with your tuxs on see us and feel like we're spoiling your cruise please have a think about the bigger picture. I wish I hadn't read this thread now because I'm going to feel more self conscious about what were wearing when I should be just enjoying our vacation.

As a family we do dress nicely , myself and my daughter in a dress and my husband and son in a short sleeved shirt and trousers, but since we travel from Scotland, and have an internal flight to London then the international one to Orlando we simply do not have the luggage allowance to pack suits etc. our cruise is only half of the holiday, so in one suitcase we need beachwear, park wear, cruise wear and of course a bit of room to take home a souveinir or two;).It's cold when we leave Scotland so were lugging around our warmer clothes we travelled in as well, so if some of you sitting at your table with your tuxs on see us and feel like we're spoiling your cruise please have a think about the bigger picture. I wish I hadn't read this thread now because I'm going to feel more self conscious about what were wearing when I should be just enjoying our vacation.

I wouldn't worry or feel self conscious. We took our first Disney Cruise back in May. I was surprised to learn that this is much more an issue in this forum than it appeared to be on the ship. We saw many different types of dress. I really didn't see any so inappropriately dressed (meaning swim wear/flip flops, tank topss) at dinner. A T-shirt or two, yes. Honestly, it didn't bother me one way or another, and if it hadn't been for this being such a hot topic of discussion here in the forum, I probably wouldn't have even given that a second thought.
You don't need formal attire to enjoy your cruise, and you won't feel out of place.

She is talking about theaters not on the cruise ship, like broadway. People used to wear evening gowns to the theater, now they show up in jeans. I still dress formally and my husband wears his suit to the theater, even though we live in Tulsa and are literally the only people dressed that way under 70.
Yes 50 years ago people dressed up to see a Broadway show, but that is certainly not the case now. It's fine to wear jeans to a Broadway show. The people who get dressed up are the people (usually tourists) who rarely go to the theater and are there for the experience of it. True theatergoers go to shows fairly frequently and wear whatever they usually wear. I go to the theater to see a show, not to show off my fancy clothes.

I have been on 2 dcl cruises so far. On the last cruise we dressed appropriately for each themed night. We enjoyed dressing up for cruise due to celebrating my MIL's retirement. My wife and I both agree it was too much money and work to get gussied up each evening. Our next cruise we decided we are going for the casual dining experience. I will be wearing shorts and polos most evenings. If this upsets you, remember I will be enjoying my vacation with my family and I won't be worried if you are standing in line behind me fretting about my shorts.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Don't let it bother you. Take pride in the fact that you and your family are doing it right and have a great time :)

Blaming DCL for not enforcing the dress code as the reason for the "issue" is like blaming the police for the robbery. The blame lies solely with the people who are inconsiderate enough to ignore the very clearly outlined dress code.

By the same token, I think it is rude to show up at a wedding in jeans or shorts and tee shirts. It may be more comfortable or easy for you, but here's a news flash: it's not all about you. It's about the hosts and the atmosphere they desire for all their guests, as well as the fellow guests who look forward to a special atmosphere and experience different from the everyday. If I want to be in a crowd of people in jeans and tees, can go jus about anyplace in my town any day of the week. But it is a rare and treasured joy to get to dress up a bit and be surrounded by the same festive atmosphere I and others are endeavoring to support through our mode of dress.

For those who say it is my vacation, I paid so much money, etc... Yes! So did the rest of us! We all paid and when we booked we all agreed to these rules by choosing this cruise. Why is your idea of what "should be" trump the rules and everyone else's cruise experience? That mindset baffles me.

It is difficult for me to understand people who are so selfish as to ignore the clear rules because it doesn't suit them. It is what our world is coming to: me me me attitudes. And raising your children with this same attitude? Disappointing.

I have been on this cruise forum for that last 11 years and it always make me laugh how threads about Formal night are the most commented and often the first ones to be closed based on flame wars.

The only comment I can make is NEVER in the history of my 50 years has my night been ruined by what OTHER people are wearing, but then that's just me. :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter