FORMAL Night on the Magic ..... so sad .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would happen if DCL did enforce its dress-code "guidelines"? Would people not book? There would be a firestorm, for sure, but I do wonder if people would just go to Cabanas or do room service to be comfy (sounds good to me!). Or would it be like when they changed their carry-on alcohol policy...and then backed down immediately? Maybe they've learned their lesson!

What would happen if DCL did enforce its dress-code "guidelines"?

I wonder about the word "guidelines." From the DCL website FAQ:
-------------------
What should I wear to dinner?
Answer
Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.
--------------------

I see the word "requirement." As usual, I find the Disney policy crystal clear and easy to understand.

I don't know why I see so many reports about people being more casual on Alaska.
I would think that the natural beauty of Alaska, as well as the cold, would be enough to entice people to dress up more than on tropical waters, but for some reason, many of the reports I read say people dress less in Alaska. :confused3

On our DCL Alaska cruise last year we noticed a big difference from our previous DCL cruises, with far fewer people dressing up for dinner. And I don't mean really dressing up with tuxes, long dresses etc, just what I would consider the courteous minimum of long trousers and collared shirt. Even though we were second seating, night after night we'd arrive to see people in line dressed as though they'd just come straight from a shore excursion, complete with windcheater-type jackets!

Didn't see many shorts/flip-flops etc, presumably because it was May in Alaska and a little too chilly. But definitely far more people who couldn't be bothered to make any effort for dinner. We're not dress up people at all really but we follow the guidelines. It doesn't take much effort to wear long trousers and a shirt or blouse, in order to be courteous to your fellow guests and to the upscale nature of the MDRs.

I wouldn't choose to cruise with one of the cruise lines where dinner is formal every night, I wouldn't be comfortable. But I do wish DCL would enforce their dress code a little more, so that it feels like eating in a restaurant again rather than a fast food joint.

I will be wearing shorts and polos most evenings. If this upsets you, remember I will be enjoying my vacation with my family and I won't be worried if you are standing in line behind me fretting about my shorts.

I just got a mental image....:lmao:

1. Society has changed.

2. Cruises are expensive - adding formal wear makes it even more expensive.

3. For many of us, vacations are a chance to dress down

4. Luggage space is limited - and costly if you fly

5. My family does not care what the people the adjacent are wearing

I personally do not like to dress up to eat dinner. Comfort is important to me.

If DCL were to enforce their MDR attire recommendations, I guarentee that would lead to a loss of business for DCL.

IMHO, DCL is not a luxury liner like cunard. When you sail DCL you ate paying a premium for the"Disney" experience not increased levels of luxury. As long as DCL markets towards kids, there will always be increased levels of casual cruising.

The money I save in not buying "dress-up" clothes for our kids on our next cruise will be going into our excursion fund.

What would happen if DCL did enforce its dress-code "guidelines"? Would people not book?

I would book NCL instead. No way I am dressing up in a suit. I haven't worn one in twenty years and I don't know if it even fits any more. I'm wearing khakis and a button shirt every night. I care more about the intellectual capacity of my tablemates than what they are wearing.

over50visits said:
I wonder about the word "guidelines." From the DCL website FAQ:
-------------------
What should I wear to dinner?
Answer
Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.
--------------------

I see the word "requirement." As usual, I find the Disney policy crystal clear and easy to understand.

Pretty clear to me. But everyone always uses "guidelines" when they talk about it--maybe because it's not enforced? It's not a requirement unless you, you know, require it ; )

If DCL were to enforce their MDR attire recommendations, I guarentee that would lead to a loss of business for DCL.

IMHO, DCL is not a luxury liner like cunard. When you sail DCL you ate paying a premium for the"Disney" experience not increased levels of luxury. As long as DCL markets towards kids, there will always be increased levels of casual cruising.

The money I save in not buying "dress-up" clothes for our kids on our next cruise will be going into our excursion fund.

I would agree with you. I also don't see Disney being a stickler for dress attire anytime soon. I think that you do pay more for that "Disney Experience", and we enjoyed it. Would do so again. In my opinion, Disney appeals to those looking for a more family friendly and less formal atmosphere. (yet, we did travel as a couple this time around, no kiddos:goodvibes) We enjoyed the Disney ambience and all it represents.
In fact I think DCL is Disney at it's best. It's what the parks used to be, but I digress, and that's another thread altogether.:rolleyes1
If I were that bothered by what the other diners wore, I would as I suggested earlier, either book the upcharge restuarants where they tend to be more formal, or book another cruise line (like the one quoted earlier by a previous poster) where the dress attire is strictly adhered to.

I did mean the WONDER and not the MAGIC for Alaska. I am so glad to hear that most everyone agrees with me. Formal Night is just that......you don't need to wear a tuxedo but at least khakis and a nice shirt !! We are not so excited about doing Disney again. The service and food was *not so great* on this Wonder Alaska cruise a few weeks ago.........

I certainly respect everyone's feeling to dress casually because they're on vacation but it's kinda like going to a costume party without a costume. The whole reason for a formal night is to create an atmosphere of elegance and yesteryear when cruising was for the rich and famous. I'm the first one in flip flops, board shorts and T shirt but come on people, get in the swing of things.

Regarding Palo and Remy, it should be semi formal period (just my opinion)

Randy

I agree with the first part of your statement but then you lose me on the second part. Palo and Remy are 5 Star restaurants. You do not wear semi-formal to a 5 star restaurant.

:thumbsup2

We were on the Alaska cruise last week. We are Gold Castaway Cay members and our whole family really looks forward to dressing up for dinner. My boys have tuxedos (they are reasonably priced on eBay). When we went to Formal Night dinner there were probably more people in BLUE JEANS than formal wear !! SO SAD !!! Lot of newbies on this cruise but come on people........can you just wear a tie and khakis ??? We were VERY disappointed. Even people with shorts on. It just ruins it for everyone (in my opinion). Go and eat at Beach Blanket if you want to wear shorts on Formal Night.

o-k how about this ....disney is at blame for you not enjoying your formal night.

they have formal nights but yet do not enforce it....:confused3

I agree with the first part of your statement but then you lose me on the second part. Palo and Remy are 5 Star restaurants. You do not wear semi-formal to a 5 star restaurant.

Depends on where you are from. In the majority of fine dining restaurants in Seattle you will see very few suits. Mostly jeans and quite a few t-shirts.

I think you can dress very nice which can be what some might think is semi-formal and be well within the dress code. Formal means wearing a tux, I don't think you have to go that far to look nice and dressed up.

Here is what DH and I would wear to eat at Remy;s

2009-2010180.jpg

Here is the Remy's dress code per the website
Dress Code
A dress code is enforced during dinner.

Men: A jacket (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket) is required, with dress pants/slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Please no jeans, shorts, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
Ladies: Cocktail dress, evening dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse are required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

It is a little less dressy at Palos
Dress Code
At Palo, dress pants and shirt or jacket is required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

Semi formal should be the minimum dress code for Remy and Palo. As stated in the post above, semi formal meets the criteria DCL has set for these restaurants and anything less should not be allowed. As many posters have written, semi formal isn't really enforced. True "formal" wear goes very well at these places and is part of what makes these places special

On our Magic Canada cruise, our family of 10 treated semiformal night as a men's shirt and tie with dress pants, and black dress for the ladies event. So many cruisers did not dress up. Around us, men were dressed in shorts. It all was pretty casual. In the end. we all felt good about dressing up for this dinner. It wasn't was hard to do. It made the dinner feel more special. And the servers were dressed so smartly also. I am happy we followed the guidelines. And have a beautiful family photo in the end. Actually those around us, seemed to have expressions on their faces as to say , maybe we should have done that. Go for it, it adds something special to the cruise. But then again, to each his own. ;)

I enjoy dressing up, its fun for me. And fine dining is an event for me as well. I realize that it isn't the same for others. I don't expect everyone to enjoy the same things. We are all different. In Las Vegas I love to dress up at night. I find that I can be around people in shorts and fanny packs (the gambling, stopping to eat at a buffet crowd) or ladies in tiny little dresses and 6 inch stilletos (the nightclub crowd.) In the end I am happy with how I am dressed and don't care about what others are wearing. A while back there was a thread for someone who wanted formal nights completely abolished because they hated having to dress up or feel out of place. You can't please everyone.

I'm confused :confused3 I've read dozens of threads in the past that would explain the strict dress code in Palo and if you showed up in anything denim, you were turned away. How are people coming in with graphic T's and shorts?

The only thing I can think of is that they got enough complaints about the dress code from the people who can't bother to pack nicer things, so they're easing up.

I haven't eaten in Palo yet, but from what I understand, it's a nicer restaurant than Macaroni Grill. If I knew I was eating at a fine restaurant, I'd dress at least "church" nice!

(But then a lot of churches seem to be embracing a more casual atmosphere, so it varies for everybody on what their definition of "nice" is. Sad.)

I think you can dress very nice which can be what some might think is semi-formal and be well within the dress code. Formal means wearing a tux, I don't think you have to go that far to look nice and dressed up.

Here is what DH and I would wear to eat at Remy;s

2009-2010180.jpg

Here is the Remy's dress code per the website
Dress Code
A dress code is enforced during dinner.

Men: A jacket (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket) is required, with dress pants/slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Please no jeans, shorts, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
Ladies: Cocktail dress, evening dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse are required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

It is a little less dressy at Palos
Dress Code
At Palo, dress pants and shirt or jacket is required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
What a handsome couple! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful portrait...
IMHO, dressing for the occasion is a matter of respect, for oneself, and for others.
I will continue to dress up (cocktail dress, strappy heals) for dinners, and teach our son the same (at minimum, slacks, button-down, tie) We will travel on the 5-night to Canada with one piece of luggage and one backpack.
I have travelled around the world, and have packing down to a science... And, even as a cash-poor graduate student, I knew how to shop (Marshall's/Tjmaxx)! So, sorry, but I'm just not buying into the "it's too expensive/too difficult to pack" arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter