• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Formal night dress code

zoo2tycoon

DIS Veteran
Was reading on cruise critic about RC dress code for formal nights. So many answers! :)
To those who have cruised recently what is the standard dress code for formal nights for men--are shirts and ties without a jacket ok?

Asking as we did Celebrity in January and that is what my husband and sons (19 and 20) wore. We are going next May (2017) and trying to get an idea of how people dress. We saw suits, tuxes, polo type shirts, etc.

THANKS

Just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise earlier this month and the dress varied greatly. We saw tuxes to business casual dress. I am not certain if it was on formal night, but I did see men wearing shorts several times in the main dining room. If you go with shirt and tie without a jacket you will definitely be good.

Was reading on cruise critic about RC dress code for formal nights. So many answers! :)
To those who have cruised recently what is the standard dress code for formal nights for men--are shirts and ties without a jacket ok?

Asking as we did Celebrity in January and that is what my husband and sons (19 and 20) wore. We are going next May (2017) and trying to get an idea of how people dress. We saw suits, tuxes, polo type shirts, etc.

THANKS

our sailing on X Summit was far more formal than other lines we've sailed (RCCL, DCL, NCL & CCL). DH wound up wanting to wearing sport coat every night except for suit on formal ones. That is the first time he volunteered to wear a coat to dinner.

longer cruises/more sea days tend to get people dressing more for dinner imo.

Have noticed that the further south we venture in the caribbean, the more the dress code tends to relax.

Still on the fence whether to take DH's suit/sport coat or just shirt/tie/dress pants for 1st formal night on upcoming RCCL sailing. I like how he looks in all black with a tie:)

Would like to cut down on luggage since doing a week at disney afterwards. majority of other nights he's in dress pants with a tommy bahama type shirt, but of dressy variety with squared-off bottom (not to be confused with a hawaiian shirt although those seem to be quite popular too).

imo as long as men don't sport wife-beater tank top tshirts & shorts with flip flops at dinner it's all good.

20 years ago DH wore a Tux. Now he usually wears a shirt and tie. Sometimes, he brings a navy blazer/tweed jacket, but never a suit. For most RCCL ships, even a tie is optional, but as it takes up no space, why not throw it in. European cruises were not super formal either. I am guessing b/c of luggage issues. you will still see a few Tuxs and a few long dresses, but not many--unless you are on a cruise with a 65+ crowd.

DH brings suits, as does DS. DS (11 years old) just has one, but he has a few dress shirts and different ties. Now, he wears them with black Converses.... DH says he wishes he could get away with that, but he wears comfy dress shoes instead.

All other nights DH wears Dockers type pants and a nice shirt. I'm pretty sure DS wore his nicest dark jeans the other nights of the cruise, with nice shirts. Then he would run back to the room (usually with me, because I'm not cool enough to let him go all by himself) and change into shorts and a casual shirt and go to the kid's club and I would go back for my dessert. :)

THANKS
From what I've seen the least dressed is either a shirt and tie or a button up shirt with a sports jacket. A lot of people wear suits. Some people go all out and get the tux. I normally wear a suit.

Appreciate the responses. On non formal they will do the Dockers and polo type shirt. Think we will be ok sticking with the shirt, tie and dress pants for formal. We way overpacked on cruise in January! Had 4 large bags and one small full of shoes. Taking 2 next year! Didn't wear half the stuff

Thanks again!!

Biggest things with shoes, I've found, is to choose ONE pair of dress shoes for each male that matches all of their dinner outfits. Well, I'd allow two, but DH says "no". :)

For me, I narrow it down to two pairs of heels, recently. And this last cruise (7 nighter) I packed all of my dresses, my swimsuit and coverup, sunscreen, and flipflops and 2 pairs of heels, into my carryon. I figured that that was my "essentials" for the cruise, and I wanted to make sure those items were there with me. :)

THANKS
We just got back from a 6 night cruise on Navigator. The formal night dress code is a "suggestion" according to the things I read on the ship. We dressed to the 9's, I wore a black suit, as did both my sons, and my wife wore a long dress and heels. The boys, 10 and 15, liked getting dressed up for dinner. They brought different shirts and ties for multiple nights.
Other nights I was, "Jake from State Farm", wearing Khakis and a polo. We did see one person turned away on Formal Night. He was wearing
a T-Shirt and very worn Jeans. There were a few people on Formal night in khakis and polos on. Whatever you're comfortable in. It does get warm
when you're wearing a suit.

My wife, son [20], and I went on the Enchantment last August. My son and I both wore slacks, with a shirt and tie [no jacket]. I saw people, especially men, with everything from shorts [yes, shorts] to all-out tuxedos. I think next time we go, I'll go the same route as far as formal night. Basically, you can make it as formal as you'd like.

Juse back from the Allure. I did not wear a tie or jacket and did not feel out of place. There was everthing from tuxes to jeans to shorts. No enforcement of any kind. We saw a group in which the men wore shorts every night. Nothing was said and it really wasn't out of place the way everyone was dressed.

In March when I was on the Anthem formal night must include a jacket. I watched a person at an adjoining table who wore slacks, dress shirt and tie and was brought a coat to wear during dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter