• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Formal and Semi Formal Nights on 7 Day

Renee D

Earning My Ears
What nights are the formal and semi-formal nights on a 7 day cruise? Also, how formal does everyone get. I'm trying to figure out what to pack for my upcoming cruise.

Thanks!

Formal for a woman is usually considered to be a cocktail or long dress. It can be dressy evening wear. For men it's usually a tux. Semi-formal is not as dressy. That's the best way I can describe it.

Not necessarily a tux for men. Our boys and dh wear a nice suit and tie. We didn't see any tuxes last time but did our 1st cruise in Feb. 07.
I think baggage fees have had some impact.
Which nights they occur depend on if it's an Eastern or Western. For the Eastern, formal night is Sunday (unless it's Superbowl Sunday). I forget when semiformal nt is. Would be on a sea day, not a port day.

On the Western it was Monday-formal, and Thurs semi-formal.

The clothing on the ships was definitely more dressy 10 years ago than it is now...probably due to luggage regulations from the airlines.

For formal night you'll see a few tux, but not many...a few military dress uniform, mostly suits. A few guys in a shirt and tie without jacket and a few in jeans.

Semi-formal is about the same, but the women will have more short dresses, fewer gowns. More people will be in "church clothes" and fewer really dressed up.

On shorter cruises, there is no "formal" or "semi-formal." It is listed as "dress up optional" and you'll see everything from full formal wear to shorts--no kidding!

Our last Disney cruise was a 4 night so we didn't have the dress up evening. This will be our first 7 night. Is it really necessary to go 'formal'?? Will by husband be out of place with just a sports coat and me a nice dress?

I personally don't think it is necessary to go formal. My DH had a sports coat, dress shirt and tie. I had a tea length dress and sandals. We wore the same to Palo on another night. My DS decided to stay in Ocean Quest. Clothes ran the gambit from long dresses to cruise wear. I don't think anyone influenced anyone else or even bothered to notice anyone else. The main reason for the different nights that I can see is for more photo ops. Which I now have a wonderful photo of us as a couple.

Thanks toverly... my husband is in a suit 5 days a week for work so if we can get away with just a sports coat like we did on the 4 night that will be great. I would like a nice family photo too but don't thinks it's necessary to go super formal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter