Forgive me but I didn't like it

Thanks for being honest and posting! I always wondered if there were guests out there who were unimpressed with concierge.

Oh I'm so sorry you had a bad experience and had to "pay up" for it as well. Doesn't seem fair when you shell out that much money that you should have to find your way around yourself and not get packages you want. I have never stayed at Poly or at concierge level at Disney, but we did stay Concierge on Royal Caribbean and it was fabulous. No request was too small. There were always slots left open for concierge requests.

I have had to stay in "smoking rooms" and it's pretty hard on me too. The toenail thing would have totally squicked me out.

I am happy to hear so many people that are happy with POFQ. I plan on staying there next year! So, did you have a good time on the cruise?

:wizard:

Believe me, I'm not here to flame you. You're entitled not to like the Poly. But, that said, there are some things I wish to point out.

#1. Concierge requests: From your post, it is not clear whether you made your requests when you checked in, or had made them prior to this. When staying concierge, usually, you don't wait until the day you arrive to make plans to eat, or whatever. That is usually taken care of way before you arrive, so I'm not clear on this.

#2. How many bags were you carrying? $10.00????? In all my years of staying at Deluxe resorts, I've never spent $30.00 in handling. (If the bell staff was very busy, you should have left the bags right there, and allowed them to bring the bags to the room later--or waited for them to drive you over to Hawaii building.)

#3. Waiting for one-half hour at check-in is NORMAL for any Disney resort, whether concierge or not. You may have been fortunate in the past that your rooms were ready instantly and that you were waited on instantly at POR, but I've done my share of waiting in line at check-in, as others will attest. and for all the information that concierge has to dispense to guests at check in, I think that is reasonable.

I just spent a few days at the Poly Conceirge tacked onto the end of a 7 day western cruise. I almost feel bad because I really didn't like the Poly. I know it has a most loyal following so please don't anyone base a decision on my post, I am very much in the minority.

Checking in
When we arrived there was no one to show us where the Hawaii building was, we were told they were extreamly busy. That really wasn't too bad though because it really wasn't that far. When we arrived at the Conceirge desk there was one person waiting in front of us. So we just relaxed thinking it wouldn't be too long. WRONG. I have to say the conceirge staff are very helpful making dining arrangements & helping with wishes cruises etc. However it makes for a VERY long visit with each guest as they check them in. It took about 1/2 hour for them to get to us.

That's a problem. We had the same thing happen at the GF, and it's something that they need to correct.

Conceirge
Our requests were dinner that night at O'hana & dinner & show package for Fantasmic (any resturant). O'hana was not a problem since they reserve tables just for conceirge but they told us that all three resturants were sold out for the package. Later when we went to Stuidos we walked right into H&V & bought the package there no problem.

Manythe restaurants hold back a small number of reservations for walk-up's that the concierge would not have access to. Additionally, you had the option of having the concierge make these reservations for you far in advance, I'm not sure why you didn't do so.

Room
Our room was a smoking room. The smell from years of smoke was almost unbearable to me. I went down to request a room change but was told they were fully booked and maybe they could try the next day. Later when I used the bathroom I saw toenail clippings on the floor. That pretty much sealed it for me.

Have to agree, that's gross!

The view
We had a lagoon view room & it was nice to watch the fireworks & water parade from the room but personally I would have been just as happy on the beach. The view of the castle and Space Mountain was really pretty at night lit up but it was fairly far away to see much.

That's personal opinion. I love watching the castle change color through the night.

Lounge
The snacks in the lounge were nice but as others have said it doesn't replace a meal so it doesn't save you any money. It's just a little nicity (sp?).

Which is all it's supposed to be! You do'nt stay concierge to save money.

Grounds
The grounds at the Poly truly are magnificent and I loved strolling around them. I would love to return & just spend a whole day looking around.

I agree, it's a beautiful resort.

Luggage
For some reason we were not allowed to take our own luggage. :confused3 We were told someone had to help us with our bags. We were not allowed to use the luggage carts. It was nice to have help but since it's customary to tip it cost me $30 to have my bags taken to my room & back. 10 to take them to holding, 10 to have them delivered to my room then 10 to have them brought back out front.

NO full service hotel allows you to take the luggage cart. They end up left in hallways and all over the grounds, and then teh bellman don't have carts to help other guests with. You always have the option of handling them yourselves, even if it means leaving one person to watch some while another makes multiple trips.

Last year we stayed at POFQ & although the rooms were smaller I think I would like to return there next year. We loved everything about POFQ.

You can't take the luggage carts there either...
Well that is my review. As I said when I started, this is just one person's opinion and NOT the opinion of most.

While I do believe that not every resort is for everyone, and I think that some of your complaints are valid, others are not.

Anne

SamIAm21 said:
I am happy to hear so many people that are happy with POFQ. I plan on staying there next year! So, did you have a good time on the cruise?

:wizard:
The cruise was utterly AMAZING. Now that's being treated like royalty! It's like everyone is conceirge. They clean your room at least twice a day. My stewart always seemed to be around. Honestly I don't know when that man slept. If we took a mid day shower before dinner he'd replace the towels as soon as we left.

The food - I gained 8lbs! need I say more.

The entertainment was wonderful. They kept us laughing the entire cruise :rotfl2: - except Disney Dreams show, that made me cry. :sad:

If you haven't tried it then I highly recommend it. You'll love it! Well unless you hate boats, then maybe not so much.

suzadrew said:
The cruise was utterly AMAZING. Now that's being treated like royalty! It's like everyone is conceirge. They clean your room at least twice a day. My stewart always seemed to be around. Honestly I don't know when that man slept. If we took a mid day shower before dinner he'd replace the towels as soon as we left.

The food - I gained 8lbs! need I say more.

The entertainment was wonderful. They kept us laughing the entire cruise :rotfl2: - except Disney Dreams show, that made me cry. :sad:

If you haven't tried it then I highly recommend it. You'll love it! Well unless you hate boats, then maybe not so much.

Nope I love cruises, but I've always gone RCL. Maybe it will have to be Disney next time!!

Thanks for posting. Different strokes for different folks. We too were not that fond of the Poly. Too 70ish for out taste, but I do see the allure for others.

Thank you for your honest post. I know it's always hard on boards to give a negative review. There will always be people who so passionately love a place they will take it personally if you don't love it too. However it is good to hear different opinions sometimes.

Disney Fool said:
Believe me, I'm not here to flame you. You're entitled not to like the Poly. But, that said, there are some things I wish to point out.

#3. Waiting for one-half hour at check-in is NORMAL for any Disney resort, whether concierge or not. You may have been fortunate in the past that your rooms were ready instantly and that you were waited on instantly at POR, but I've done my share of waiting in line at check-in, as others will attest. and for all the information that concierge has to dispense to guests at check in, I think that is reasonable.

While it may be okay to wait for 30 minutes to check in at a normal check in desk, wouldn't you expect that the "perk" and overall purpose of a seperate check in desk and staff would be to eliminate any wait and make your check in and stay 100% personal? Considering the huge jump in rate to stay at a deluxe concierge room, I would expect only the very best, most personal service ever.

I even think that considering the price and reason for concierge, the rooms should be cared for immaculately, which means doing whatever it takes to make sure that smoking rooms are unoffensive to the senses. The nightly rates for one or two days would more than cover the cost of replacing carpeting and fabric items on a regular basis, especially since less than half the rooms are designated smoking allowed.

I think that is a very well done report. Thank you for taking the time. I am sure you are not the only one that feels this way and if some of those things happened to me on my first visit I think I would feel the same way.

No ride over because they were busy is wrong and has been happening a lot in the last year. This is a mistake on the part of those working up front.

Concierge staff can sometimes get into long discussions and they try not to rush people out of their seats but that can cause a back up for others. Not a good way to start your stay.

The smoke smell is not years of smoke since they just redid the rooms (all materials and paint) but I am sure it does not take long for the smell to build right back up. They have been completely full.

Some love the lagoon view and feel it is worth every penny (myself included) and others are fine with just going to the beach to enjoy the view. I think it is almost one of those things you have to find out for yourself and now you know.

I am with you on the tipping. I feel it is goods to tip and I tip all the time but it seems like you spend a fortune from curb to curb during a trip. I would rather they add it to the cost and up the salary of the staff.

Thanks for the report. I think it was great information that will be helpful to others.

Aloha

Steve

So sorry it wasn't that great for you! We are staying there in about a month and a half and I hope check-in doesn't turn out like that :worried: I haven't usually had that kind of experience during check-in yet, don't know why I've been so lucky, but I don't remember waiting at most of the Disney hotels that we've stayed in for more than ten minutes or so. I think we might have had the rare long wait once in a while, but I'm not remembering one right now. Hope my luck doesn't run out....I know when me and my son arrive we are always very excited to see where our room is and what it looks like, so I think waiting at check-in would be the worst time to wait :bitelip:

I love the lagoon view of the castle (sigh), but it is quite an investment so often times it just makes more sense to have a garden view, which is lovely as well. Some vacations I'd rather spend my vacation money on lots of great restaurants, other times I really miss the castle and forgo other extras so we can see it from our room. Just depends on the mood princess:

I hope your enjoy your next WDW hotel stay better! ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

HANDYMOM said:
While it may be okay to wait for 30 minutes to check in at a normal check in desk, wouldn't you expect that the "perk" and overall purpose of a seperate check in desk and staff would be to eliminate any wait and make your check in and stay 100% personal? Considering the huge jump in rate to stay at a deluxe concierge room, I would expect only the very best, most personal service ever.

I even think that considering the price and reason for concierge, the rooms should be cared for immaculately, which means doing whatever it takes to make sure that smoking rooms are unoffensive to the senses. The nightly rates for one or two days would more than cover the cost of replacing carpeting and fabric items on a regular basis, especially since less than half the rooms are designated smoking allowed.

I completely agree that the extra price you pay is for the service and things could be handled more efficient. Part of that problem is how much staff management is allowing.

Actually about 50 out of 846 rooms are smoking at the Polynesian so your chances of even getting one is low. They do replace things every few years but I don’t see shutting down rooms and doing this annually is an option or a good idea when most of the time it is going to be smokers in the rooms.

HANDYMOM said:

I can understand having a short wait of up to maybe five-ten minutes. What should have happened is the concierge should have excused herself for a moment to the guest she was talking to, told you she'd be a bit, apologized, and suggesed you go to the lounge for a snack and beverage and that she'd come to get you as soon as she was available.

Anne

I agree about the view. We had a bay view at the CR and it made me laugh that it was not the "preferred" view. We were on the lowest floor that has hotel rooms, so a castle view would have been a view of the parking lot, with the castle in the background. We had a lovely view of the grounds, the pool and the lake.

What is it about somebody else's toenails that is so disgusting? Did you call housekeeping right away? I would have stood outside the door and watched them clean that bathroom. Yuk!

ducklite said:
Lounge
The snacks in the lounge were nice but as others have said it doesn't replace a meal so it doesn't save you any money. It's just a little nicity (sp?).

Which is all it's supposed to be! You do'nt stay concierge to save money.

LOL! This just reminded me of something my travel agent told be when I was booking our trip to the Poly and I had to share:

She was trying to get us to book concierge and one of her big "selling points" was that we could just grab some free bottles of water on the way out to the parks and save money on bottled water that way. :rotfl: Yea, right, it's worth the extra $$$$ a night just so I can save $10 bucks on bottled water! :rotfl2:

To the OP, we stayed at the Poly recently, too and I appreciate your review. We didn't stay concierge, nor lagoon view, we just don't think the perks of either are worth the cost. We enjoyed watching Wishes and the EWP from the beach, and our room had a beautiful view of the quiet pool. We also had a long wait to check in. There was no one in the concierge line, but a very long line of people in the regular line, and the concierge CM was just sitting there, not doing a thing. You'd think he could've taken the next person in the regular line and checked them in quickly, while waiting for concierge guests to show up. I don't know, or does his computer only allow him to check concierge guests in? Whatever, not really a big deal, but it's something that has been done for us at other hotels, and at airline ticket-counters (when the first-class line is empty), so I was surprised it wasn't done at the Poly.

We used ME, so we had no choice on our bags, and no one showed us to our room, either, but they gave us a map and pointed it out and it was very easy to find, so we never gave it a second thought.

I"ve mentioned this on this board before, and I know a lot of people disagree, but really, I don't think Disney hotels compare to non-Disney hotels in the same price ranges. The rooms and service are always a step down from what I'm used to, traveling to other parts of the country/world. But hey, it's Disney, you're paying for the conveniences of being on-site, and I've learned that if you have to decide what's more important and make trade-offs.

Thanks for the review. Hope you had a fun trip.

Checking in
When we arrived there was no one to show us where the Hawaii building was, we were told they were extreamly busy. That really wasn't too bad though because it really wasn't that far. When we arrived at the Conceirge desk there was one person waiting in front of us. So we just relaxed thinking it wouldn't be too long. WRONG. I have to say the conceirge staff are very helpful making dining arrangements & helping with wishes cruises etc. However it makes for a VERY long visit with each guest as they check them in. It took about 1/2 hour for them to get to us.

That would bother me also. We just stayed at WLC about 2 weeks ago. I really enjoyed the way they handled check-in. When we arrived on the 7th floor they introduced themself and gave the bell hop our room key. We were told to go to our room, look it over and then come back to check in when we were ready. We were told to take our time. We went and checked in about 20 minutes later. Loved that they did it that way. JMO

AnaheimGirl said:
We also had a long wait to check in. There was no one in the concierge line, but a very long line of people in the regular line, and the concierge CM was just sitting there, not doing a thing. You'd think he could've taken the next person in the regular line and checked them in quickly, while waiting for concierge guests to show up. I don't know, or does his computer only allow him to check concierge guests in? Whatever, not really a big deal, but it's something that has been done for us at other hotels, and at airline ticket-counters (when the first-class line is empty), so I was surprised it wasn't done at the Poly.

The "concierge" CM that you saw in the main lobby of the GCH is something fairly new and is actually the "Lobby Concierge" which is just a fancier name for Guest Services. He has nothing to do with checking in the concierge guests, and I'm not even certain that his computer has the capability for checking in the regular guests either. :)

The true concierge check-in desks are in the concierge buildings only; Tonga and Hawaii. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter