Foreign Currency?

mattypies

Earning My Ears
Help me understand! With the US exchange rate being so good how does everyone "carry" there money?

Travellers cheques seem to be a pain in the butt. If I use debit I beleive there is a fee. I can't possibly carry that much cash.

Suggestions,

Heather

We actually do tend to carry a lot of cash down -- I know, it's a no-no. My husband and I will each keep about $200 cash in each of our wallets, and we keep a good chunk in a safe at our hotel.

At the current rate, I'd have no problem charging most items to a credit card. I'm sure the exchange fee they'd charge would be less than the fee for a traveller's cheque.

I used traveller's cheques the one and only time we travelled to Europe, and I have to say, I found them rather inconvenient.

I do have to add....

There was one time we went to WDW with a lot of cash because my husband had been compensated with US dollars for some consulting work. When we checked into our hotel, we asked to pay upfront in cash. Of course, they had no problem with this and that way we didn't have to worry about "carrying" the cash. Only for the flight down :smooth:

I don't cary that much cash i use my credit card and my debit card to withdraw $ 200 or so at a time . but i only cary $ 50 0r less in the wallet that i cary so i dont flash a lot of cash every time i pay for something .travelers cheques can be a pain in the butt esp if you are like me and never sign your name the same twice .

At Disney I have never had a problem with travellers cheques.
I cash one in the morning at the resort when I am getting breakfast, and that carries us through the day. I always also carry a small amount of cash, usaually about $200.00 in case I need it, but I have never had a problem with travellers cheques.

We love traveller's cheques and find them a real asset when travelling anywhere. :thumbsup2

We always carry Traveller's cheques as well. They are so much safer, and we get them fee free at CAA.

We use traveller's cheques. When you check in at Disney leave a credit card on the room and then the night before you check out go to the front desk and pay off anything you charged during the trip. As long as you don't go over the resort limit nothing will be charged to the card. I never carry more than $20 with me to the parks.

We use a bit of everything.
In general, we put most things on credit card and find that they don't gouge us on the rate or the conversion fee.

We carry US$ traveller's cheques and usually cash a few every trip at our hotel... it's nice that they don't expire so you don't have to estimate exactly how much cash you'll need this trip, BUT not so nice that we bought our last lot when it cost more to buy $US. Also, traveller's cheques are not as convenient because many retail businesses don't take them any more. Use them as your travelling bank, cashing enough for the day's needs but not so much you feel uncomfortable with your pockets full of cash.

We use the bank card as a third choice, because between the ATM fees and our bank's fee it's the most costly option but still not outrageous or impossible. We only use our bank card at ATMs because debit is really hit-or-miss in US retail outlets...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Honestly, you can go crazy trying to figure out the absolute cheapest/best way to carry your money, and then realize you agonized over saving maybe $10 or $20.

cslittle999 said:
We use traveller's cheques. When you check in at Disney leave a credit card on the room and then the night before you check out go to the front desk and pay off anything you charged during the trip. As long as you don't go over the resort limit nothing will be charged to the card. I never carry more than $20 with me to the parks.

If you have your room key-card activated as a charge they do put a hold for that amount (about $1000) on your credit card. So, if you will be needing your card for anything else you could have a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter