Forced Secret...tough times

xipotec

Grinning Ghosts
Hi All!

As many of you might know, our family is currently taking care of my father-in-law, who is dying from pancreatic cancer. He is in his last weeks now, and the previous 3 months have been incredibly stressful and sad.

I had been planning to return to WDW this November, but time got away form me, and I literally forgot to plan. (That should show you how bad things are!!)

Well, last night I just did it. I planned the trip in one night, sort of a spontaneous moment....

I am not telling the family anything, as of right now, no one will really want to hear it. So I have to keep it secret. Amidst the sadness and exhaustion, it is my shining light that, I hope will help heal and return our family to the world of life.

So , I figure to surprise them the night before we leave. I did this once before for our children, but this time I will surprise the wife, who is in a terrible place right now.

So , I share my secret with you DIS, so I have a place to be excited and try to hold on to the glimmer down the road.

I hope a few of you might have some suggestions on things I might plan to make this trip extra special. I have been trying my best to make ressies at a few restaurants we like, the only one I cannot seem to get is BOG, (no surprise there).

Anything I might do to make this one unforgettable?

Here's the details so far.
POLY NOVEMBER 11-17.

I only have a few days planned that week.
MK= Veterans day 11th and the 13th (nightmare on Vets day at MK??)
HS the 9th (the following are because F&W is at Epcot this weekend)
Ak the 10th
EP = 12th

I have no idea which park to visit the other days...

Need further suggestions or changes to this schedule, as my usual DIS brain is not functioning.....what am I forgetting?

xipo

Thanks you guys, DIS has always been the best....

I hope a few of you might have some suggestions on things I might plan to make this trip extra special. I have been trying my best to make ressies at a few restaurants we like, the only one I cannot seem to get is BOG, (no surprise there).

Anything I might do to make this one unforgettable?

Forgot to add...we haven't done any of these things but they've all been recommended by others here:
Illuminations Cruise
Wishes Dessert Party
Animal Kingdom Wild Trek tour (or something like that - it sounds awesome if your kids are a little older)
If California Grill is open by then, you could get an ADR to coincide with watching the fireworks over MK
Flowers/gift baskets delivered to your room upon arrival

I'm so sorry to hear about your sad news....I too have a surprise trip, for tomorrow actually! The way I'm telling the kids is with a giant fortune cookie! I custom ordered it, with white chocolate and strawberry drizzle. Inside is a little poem I wrote telling them we were headed to the airport now to go to Disney

Is your FIL a Disney fan? My dad died a month before one of our trips, and just going to Disney with my family made me feel better. Could you order a special cake to have with dinner one night? Maybe just something pretty and fun to bring comfort to your wife and lift her spirits? Maybe you could plan to release a disney balloon and send it to your FIL in heaven? You may be able to mention it to the front desk, just that your family has gone through a hard time and they may surprise you all with balloons or something nice. You never know. I'm sure they will appreciate your hard work in planning a special family trip.

Book your wife a spa treatment. The first vacation after a loss, and one so close to the holidays might be extra hard on her (not that she won't have fun, just might be some teary moments). An afternoon at the spa might be a great way to give her a few hours of "me" time.

Candle light proc. Osborne family lights. Plenty to do. go to the resorts and check out the decorations. That is cool to do and does not cost anything.

First of all, I am so sorry for your sad experience. I will also say, how much of a blessing it must be to have these last weeks together as a family.

Don't forget you can do BOG as counter service for lunch.

what a wonderful, wonderful thing you're doing for your wife and family.

check with gifts of a lifetime... they do great special occasion stuff in the parks. we've used them before and they are very easy to work with.

Book your wife a spa treatment. The first vacation after a loss, and one so close to the holidays might be extra hard on her (not that she won't have fun, just might be some teary moments). An afternoon at the spa might be a great way to give her a few hours of "me" time.

I totally agree!

What a sweet, wonderful surprise to plan for all of them.

If FIL was a Disney fan, did he have a favorite event or restaurant or thing that you could do in his honor?

Is your FIL a Disney fan? My dad died a month before one of our trips, and just going to Disney with my family made me feel better. Could you order a special cake to have with dinner one night? Maybe just something pretty and fun to bring comfort to your wife and lift her spirits? Maybe you could plan to release a disney balloon and send it to your FIL in heaven? You may be able to mention it to the front desk, just that your family has gone through a hard time and they may surprise you all with balloons or something nice. You never know. I'm sure they will appreciate your hard work in planning a special family trip.

We wanted to got with him, unfortunately its no longer and option. He was diagnosed 2 months ago, healthy the month before....he will not likely last till the end of the month.... amazingly cruel and fast disease... I like the balloons idea, just a little worried about associating WDW with his death. I sort of want this to be a healing celebration of our life after this traumatic event...

Forgot to add...we haven't done any of these things but they've all been recommended by others here:
Illuminations Cruise
Wishes Dessert Party
Animal Kingdom Wild Trek tour (or something like that - it sounds awesome if your kids are a little older)
If California Grill is open by then, you could get an ADR to coincide with watching the fireworks over MK
Flowers/gift baskets delivered to your room upon arrival

We have done California grill...but all these others are great!

GREAT IDEA!. Think this one is a definite!

I am so sorry for what your family is going through. Disney is the perfect place to heal.

How old are your children, it would help give a better idea of what you should plan or are you going just you and your wife.

I highly recommend the Wishes Dessert Party! Tremendously sorry for your stress and sadness. Praying for your family and a truly healing trip!

My Children are 10 years old (boy) and 8 Yod (girl).

They have been truly amazing and helpful to their mom and dad , I am so proud of how they are dealing with the loss of their Poppa!

I think all the times for the Dessert party are booked..... :(

Oh wait just noticed 60 day window only......

The Illuminations cruise sounds awesome too...we have been on the balcony at Rose and Crowne, which is incredible (nothing like Illuminations with a Guinness) Being Illuminations is my favorite show... I;d love to do a cruise, anyone have any advice info on that?

My Children are 10 years old (boy) and 8 Yod (girl).

They have been truly amazing and helpful to their mom and dad , I am so proud of how they are dealing with the loss of their Poppa!

I think all the times for the Dessert party are booked..... :(

Keep trying - we found last minute openings right before our trip!

I lost my Dad just before our first trip to Disney in 2006. It was unexpected and a terrible shock as it always is. We contemplated cancelling but in the end my husband thought it might be the best thing to get me over the hump, Dad died the 20th of January and we left for Disney on Feb 1st. My husband was right, it was just what I needed at the time to put things into perspective and reflect on what a great Dad I had.

I am so sorry for the difficult times your family is going through but bless you for planning this incredible surprise.

I am sorry for what your family is dealing with now.

I planned a surprise trip for 6 months after we lost my dh. It was something to reward my daughter who was a real trooper helping at home as she also had a baby brother at the time and something to reinforce we would be okay as a different family.

Wishing you all peace during this time.

I think this is a great idea, with one caveat. I don't know your wife, but surprising kids with a trip to WDW and surprising adults are two very different things. I obviously don't know your wife but she might not take too kindly to being told she is going away the night before she leaves. I know my mom would have had a FIT if my dad tried that with her. Maybe at some point after your FIL passes (if he passes) but before the night before, you might use it as a way to cheer her up as a surprise and still surprise the kids. After all, half the fun of a WDW trip is the anticipation!

Also I'm very sorry for these difficult times and I think this is a great way to celebrate your family's life.

Sorry to hear that. My mom passed last November (also cancer) and we've been to WDW twice since and we're going again in August. It helps A LOT!

We went overboard on spending, bought tons of crap. We also ordered stuff from the disney florist. You might want to splurge on your wife to get her the princess package or something like that. They will set it up in your room while you're out and when you get back to the room she'll be in for a surprise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter