Forbidden Journey closed Dec 1-18

Toy Story Fan

Mouseketeer
I just found out on another thread that Forbidden Journey will be closed from December 1 to the 18th, so I thought I would post it here. Not happy!!! This is one of the rides I was most looking forward to. One of the main reasons for staying onsite was to get early entry for HP. I guess I will have to plan another trip.

Just saw its for real. They just posted on the website. I am deciding whether I want to pitch a fit and get all our money back for our trip or not. We were only going for Harry Potter stuff. I am devastated.

I think its ridiculous they don't warn you about closings ahead of time like Disney does. We booked our trip about a week ago and they should have told us and known by then. Its shady.

That's why I bought the Universal trip insurance when we booked our trip through them last year (which I know folks say isn't a good deal but it was easy). I knew if a HP was going to be closed, I'd want the option to reschedule.

Ouch, it's hard to hear when a favorite attraction will be down but all the parks make no guarantees as to rides operating. Via the post, going to assume it's the ride only and that the surrounding area in IoA & Gringotts (which is my personal fav btw) will be open? Possibly some maintenance had to be moved ahead of schedule. :confused3

I just saw the news too. our universal portion of our trip is Dec.1 to 3!

Bummed about it but there'should still a lot of other things to do!

That's why I bought the Universal trip insurance when we booked our trip through them last year (which I know folks say isn't a good deal but it was easy). I knew if a HP was going to be closed, I'd want the option to reschedule.
but they should reschedule on their dime for not being honest about ride rehabs. Not ours. They knew they were closing it then and just did not tell us. I even told the booking lady we were coming just for Harry Potter. I do see it as shady. Disney lets you know about scheduled rehabs months and months in advance

I, too, would be incredibly disappointed if FJ were to be down for the entirety of my vacation. I do think it's surprising that they are giving less than a month's notice... usually these big refurbs are announced with more notice. :-/

BUT..... as another poster stated, Universal makes no guarantees about specific attractions being open at any given time. How could they?

If this makes you want to cancel your trip, that's certainly your right... and I absolutely understand the frustration.... but demanding something that you feel is owed to you by Universal, especially if you're angry and confrontational, probably isn't going to get you very far. Just a thought. :-)

We are still going to go but I am very disapointed as we probably cannot afford to go back so they will never get to ride it I guess.

Universal does have some closures listed months ahead. But, I did call to ask about potential closures not listed and that prompted me to buy insurance. If something is a make or break, I think it's on the guest more though I do understand your POV.

I am deciding whether I want to pitch a fit and get all our money back for our trip or not.

What money have you paid to Universal yet, since you just booked a week ago?

We thought we were going to Universal for WW, but realized quickly once we got there that we were soooo wrong. We like the whole place. But you don't know that about you yet. If it's truly the only reason, and if you aren't going to be able to go back, then why go now?

On the other hand, it's one ride. DH has never ridden it because he doesn't fit. DS didn't go until our third trip there. It's totally possible to enjoy the heck out of Wizarding World without riding FJ. Heck, DH can't ride Dragon Challenge or Gringott's either. (and can't ride Hippogriff out at Universal Hollywood b/c the restraints are different) He still enjoys it.

I think its ridiculous they don't warn you about closings ahead of time like Disney does.

Disney does NOT always announce things months ahead of time.

I take it you booked a package? It's fabulous to book room-only and then get tickets when you're ready. Way easier to change dates or cancel that way. Since I won't book a package (they are very rarely a better deal, they don't give you anything you can't get room-only unless it's for a very special event like a Wizarding World park opening or the Celebration of Harry Potter packages but those are generally more expensive) I don't know how much the insurance is, but you could likely find trip insurance at a better deal elsewhere.

I have a WDW/hp trip planned for 12/15-12/20.

What's the likelihood it'll be running dec 19 or dec 20? Any thoughts? I had planned to go to HP on 12/16, but I'm wondering if I should shuffle all my WDW FPP etc. to instead go to HP on 12/19 or 12/20. I don't want to do all that changing unless it's actually working on those days!!

What money have you paid to Universal yet, since you just booked a week ago?

We thought we were going to Universal for WW, but realized quickly once we got there that we were soooo wrong. We like the whole place. But you don't know that about you yet. If it's truly the only reason, and if you aren't going to be able to go back, then why go now?

On the other hand, it's one ride. DH has never ridden it because he doesn't fit. DS didn't go until our third trip there. It's totally possible to enjoy the heck out of Wizarding World without riding FJ. Heck, DH can't ride Dragon Challenge or Gringott's either. (and can't ride Hippogriff out at Universal Hollywood b/c the restraints are different) He still enjoys it.

Disney does NOT always announce things months ahead of time.

I take it you booked a package? It's fabulous to book room-only and then get tickets when you're ready. Way easier to change dates or cancel that way. Since I won't book a package (they are very rarely a better deal, they don't give you anything you can't get room-only unless it's for a very special event like a Wizarding World park opening or the Celebration of Harry Potter packages but those are generally more expensive) I don't know how much the insurance is, but you could likely find trip insurance at a better deal elsewhere.

Room + tickets. I am usually a bargain hunter but I just didn't have it in me for that trip. My less in depth than normal research didn't find the price to be poor. Might not have been a good deal and I'm sure I could find a better price but it wasn't terrible. And their insurance was cancel for any reason, vs something like just medical or weather. Sometimes ease is worth paying a bit extra for...

They've been putting this off since May, waiting for a slow time. It's been open for 6 years without refurbishment. It's time!

We experienced the same thing at DL with Indiana Jones. We had the trip long planned and a couple of weeks out, they announced the closure. It sucks but it is a necessity.

Anybody think there's a chance that there could be a delay? In the past have they set a closure date which was shifted? I'm only asking because I will be there Dec 1 and 2.

Thanks for posting this--thankfully we were able to relatively easily flip flop our Universal and Disney stays to hopefully catch it the day after it opens back up. Fingers crossed that it's on time....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter