For women on birthcontrol pill or patch

gillis95

Mouseketeer
I posted this reply to someone regarding water retention during TOM but thought other women might find this info useful.

-------------
I heard about a new pill 'Seasonal' (?) that you only have 4 periods a year . My doctor said I can do the same with my patch. He said women have been doing this themselves for years and there is no problem with ferility problems etc. I do 2 patch packs in a row (so my TOM is actually every other month!!) He said there is no problem with heavier periods or more intense PMS and I have had no problems or have not noticed any difference except lots longer between my (.) So talk to your doctor about it..

It's so great going 6 weeks between. My doc said you should have at least 4 periods/year (thats' what current studies show to be safe) just to keep things 'moving'.

My DH thinks it's great too ;)

I've been doing this for almost a year with BCP. You have to use a monophasic (tried it with a triphasic and it didn't work) I take back to back packs, up to three in a row (skipping the placebos, of course) and then let myself have a period. It's great b/c I can plan it around vacations!! :) Even though sometimes I go 10-12 weeks, my periods are very very very light. As for PMS, dunno if it helps, I never really had it. :duck:

you guys! i mean you girls!!!

NO WAY!!!!

oh! you are sooo the best! my stuffy oldish very conservative doctor has NEVER EVER told me about doing that!!!!!

my annual is in about three weeks so I will be asking! and BTW - i'm actually looking forward to this year's appt - I can't wait to weigh in there ;)

I was on a study through Oregon Health Science University and was put on a 6 month continual BCP. After the study was over the Doctor gave me the name of the BCP I was taking so my doctor could prescribe it for me. The pill was Alesse and I take the three weeks and then start a new pack. I have not had TOM since January and all my doctor's say you can go for year's without TOM and not have any problems. LESS PMS and bloating I feel great and can plan vacations whenever I want. IF you skip a day you will have spotting so you have to be very consistent.::yes::

That's why I switched to the patch...OrthoEvra. I was constantly taking 2 pills every other day because I was always forgetting my pill. Now I just take 2 packs in a row..I love it..I wish I had known about this sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter