For Those Who've Noted Disney's Penny Pinching Ways

Yeah...same article I posted from Bloomberg the other day...

The scary concept is that while Eisner went nuts and cheap...he NEVER made these kinds of promotions to people specifically to slash budgets and increase prices.

They're being run like spirit airlines

Yeah...same article I posted from Bloomberg the other day...

The scary concept is that while Eisner went nuts and cheap...he NEVER made these kinds of promotions to people specifically to slash budgets and increase prices.

They're being run like spirit airlines
Sorry I missed the post or I wouldn't have posted it again. It is a scary concept we're facing, I agree.

I have such mixed feelings on our trip next year. On one hand I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also scared we're going to be disappointed. All these cuts have me worried - we had such an AWESOME trip last time: clean bathrooms and park, great food, excellent experiences with the CMs, we found prices reasonable etc... The idea of spending thousands of dollars and spending 3 days driving there only to be let down due to cutbacks is scary.

A lot of these cutbacks have come in the entertainment department. This is a backbone for Disney and they are cutting them out. One big place that you will see this at is Sunset Boulevard in DHS. They cut either 12 or 13 of the 23 entertainers. They are part of what made DHS special. #ThanksShanghai

I am a firm believer in frugality, however, some of the cutbacks are doing nothing but hurting Disney. We are currently at WDW. We cancelled all of our reservations at Disney owned or managed restaurants because it has cutbacks have become so obvious.

We had same day reservations on Saturday at Jungle Navigation Skippers Canteen. The Char Siu Pork portions were very small. What was advertised as Pork Tenderloin had fat and grizzle throughout. I have never had pork tenderloin any fat in it. The rice portion was so small I initially thought they had forgotten it. It was under the pork in the shape and size of a 1/3-1/2 measuring cup. The Chinese broccoli was just terrible tasting....LOL. Sunday, we went to 50's Prime Time Cafe. I ordered fried chicken. The taste was excellent. The chicken portion size was small. The mashed potatoes was once again in the shape of a 1/3-1/2 measuring cup. The seasonal vegetable was a frozen green giant nibblet half ear. I asked the waiter what was up with measuring cup mashed potatoes? He had been there for years and was embarrassed how cheap things have gotten. There were numerous complaints. We spoke to another employee About the issues and her reply "we have been Shanghaied". Numerous cutbacks and layoffs have occured over Shanghai.

We had brunch at Raglan Road! Great staff, Great Atmosphere, Great Food......what Disney used to be. We ate at Tuto Italia.....same as Raglan Road. Our recommendation......Stay away from the Disney established restaurants. We have been happy after we went this route........

Fairly short read, and for some, it will be more ammunition shoring up their arguments that Disney is squeezing dollars wherever they can.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3792249-155/cost-cutters-gaining-clout-in-disney-shakeup

Interesting article, Sleepy Dog -- thanks!

"Jimmy Pitaro, as president of Disney's interactive unit, led the business to profitability by closing video-game studios, licensing the making of 'Star Wars' games to Electronic Arts Inc. rather than making them in-house and supervising the elimination of 700 jobs in March 2014 alone.

"His strategy included emphasizing mobile games rather than slower-growing console products.

"The unit shot from a $308 million loss in 2011 to a $132 million profit in 2015. Last year the interactive business was merged with the $4.5 billion consumer products business, and in February Iger named Pitaro as sole chairman of the combined operation."

Can't help but wonder whose head had to roll over the Playmation debacle.

We spoke to another employee About the issues and her reply "we have been Shanghaied". Numerous cutbacks and layoffs have occured over Shanghai.

That's one way to put it.

Although it's not Shanghai's fault as such ... or China's fault. They are what they are.

It's the fault of the execs who conceived of the park and signed off on the imprudent, unwise project under bad financial terms in a country that anyone with their eyes open knew was long overdue for a major crash.

If the Shanghai park is still such a great investment then why do they have to strip-mine cash from Florida and California guests and employees in order to top up its funding? If there is a surefire profit-making investment out there then banks and investors will line up to get a piece of the action. Disney would have to pay interest or share the profits ... but they wouldn't have to gaff their most successful business ventures with a harpoon in order to transfuse cash into Shanghai. IF it was actually a winner.

Shanghai, Perhaps it's time to cut the losses.

China, as usual, has shanghaied another company. It seems they are smarter than us.

portion sizes are more the fault of the dining plan and rising costs of food. also rising prices have been for the last few years the result of having to pay more for labor and subsidize the dining plan. it's like anywhere that offers discounts to a few o their customers, the costs have to be made up somwhere and who pays but the ones not taking the discount. so the dining plan and tables in wonderland are much culprits for high food prices at disney restaurants

I am a firm believer in frugality, however, some of the cutbacks are doing nothing but hurting Disney. We are currently at WDW. We cancelled all of our reservations at Disney owned or managed restaurants because it has cutbacks have become so obvious.

We had same day reservations on Saturday at Jungle Navigation Skippers Canteen. The Char Siu Pork portions were very small. What was advertised as Pork Tenderloin had fat and grizzle throughout. I have never had pork tenderloin any fat in it. The rice portion was so small I initially thought they had forgotten it. It was under the pork in the shape and size of a 1/3-1/2 measuring cup. The Chinese broccoli was just terrible tasting....LOL. Sunday, we went to 50's Prime Time Cafe. I ordered fried chicken. The taste was excellent. The chicken portion size was small. The mashed potatoes was once again in the shape of a 1/3-1/2 measuring cup. The seasonal vegetable was a frozen green giant nibblet half ear. I asked the waiter what was up with measuring cup mashed potatoes? He had been there for years and was embarrassed how cheap things have gotten. There were numerous complaints. We spoke to another employee About the issues and her reply "we have been Shanghaied". Numerous cutbacks and layoffs have occured over Shanghai.

We had brunch at Raglan Road! Great staff, Great Atmosphere, Great Food......what Disney used to be. We ate at Tuto Italia.....same as Raglan Road. Our recommendation......Stay away from the Disney established restaurants. We have been happy after we went this route........
If the employee actually said that she should lose her job. Or face serious probation anyway.

That is unprofessional and completely irresponsible to say the least.

i see that "Shanghai" has been officially floated as the evil spectre 13,000 miles away by the MANAGEMENT in Orlando.

They have a long tradition of scapegoating Thibgs down there that can't be seen.

But it's not just that...it's much more that that. Struggling tv networks for one.
But also they have lost some Orlando market share and that is 100% on the operation and the bigwigs in Burbank

Never sit on your hands when you run a tourist destination. Never...ever.

If the employee actually said that she should lose her job. Or face serious probation anyway.

They are not "professional". That is because the management made the decision around 1995 that they didn't need to be/didn't need to be paid for.

There's a long backstory with Disney labor that colors the drinks each and every day now.

There's a saying about that...

They are not "professional". That is because the management made the decision around 1995 that they didn't need to be/didn't need to be paid for.

There's a long backstory with Disney labor that colors the drinks each and every day now.

There's a saying about that...

I understand what you were saying, but that does not excuse the employee's indiscretion. I have never run into a CM who was less than professional when I have visited WDW, and while I truly believe these CM's should be paid more than they are paid, and I really do believe that you were not trying to be insulting, it is demeaning to those people who work there and who, regardless of their hourly wage, maintain the integrity of the positions they are hired for.

Perhaps I am old school, but I think that if you accept a job at any given wage, you should adhere to the conditions you signed on for. I would never suggest that the CM lose her job, but ehr aps a little coaching is in order.

I understand what you were saying, but that does not excuse the employee's indiscretion. I have never run into a CM who was less than professional when I have visited WDW, and while I truly believe these CM's should be paid more than they are paid, and I really do believe that you were not trying to be insulting, it is demeaning to those people who work there and who, regardless of their hourly wage, maintain the integrity of the positions they are hired for.

Perhaps I am old school, but I think that if you accept a job at any given wage, you should adhere to the conditions you signed on for. I would never suggest that the CM lose her job, but ehr aps a little coaching is in order.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying at all.

I'm just saying that people think there is much more of a process to working in WDW than there actually is. It was a meat market 15 years ago...can't imagine how it is now.

No quality control...training streamlined to the point that it's nonexistent

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying at all.

I'm just saying that people think there is much more of a process to working in WDW than there actually is. It was a meat market 15 years ago...can't imagine how it is now.

No quality control...training streamlined to the point that it's nonexistent

It's a shame, really. I think it is a mistake on the management side

Gee Thanks for implying I am making it up.....LOL. The CM and I were chatting and I asked her what was going on due to our poor experiences. She was honest and she used a phrase that CM's are using that appears very accurate and describes the cheapened out meal(s) we purchased. The truth is never unprofessional or irresponsible like implying someone is making something up!

Gee Thanks for implying I am making it up.....LOL. The CM and I were chatting and I asked her what was going on due to our poor experiences. She was honest and she used a phrase that CM's are using that appears very accurate and describes the cheapened out meal(s) we purchased. The truth is never unprofessional or irresponsible like implying someone is making something up!

One of the most redeeming qualities of many WDW employees is their general level of intelligence and willingness to treat people as if they have a brain and engage them.

The word is out about cuts and Disneys problems...which is gonna automatically bring more complaints. They actually stem the tide a little bit by being honest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter