For those who will be at WDW Christmas Week---2006 Capacity Closings

This will be my first trip with my daughter who is 5.princess: What time on Christmas Day do I need to be in line at the bus stop at Pop Century for MK? I guess the same goes for the rest of the week also. I just worry we will have to wait in line for over an hour for a bus at 6am and miss entry into the parks. Of course, this all lies in the hands of the pilots and O'Hare airport if I even make it there with the allotted 35 minutes to get off one plane and on to the other.:rotfl: They tell me that is enough time.:rotfl:

If I'm not mistaken, if you are staying on property you will not get turned away. Someone may want to verify this but I think as long as you stay in Disney you're fine. Hope this helps:goodvibes

I'm afraid that is not correct---please see the first page of this thread as quoted by CR Resort Fan For Life up above.

This is a report from mouseplanet.com last January, so you have an idea of what to expect:

Last week was extremely busy at all of the Walt Disney World parks, as the Magic Kingdom began phased closings on Monday (25th), Wednesday (27th), Thursday (28th) and Sunday (31st). Disney's Animal Kingdom also closed on Wednesday (27th) and Thursday (28th), while the Disney-MGM Studios had parking lot overflows on Wednesday (27th) and Thursday (28th), as well. Epcot, with its larger parking lots and much larger capacity, did not close at all. It's uncertain when three parks last closed at the same time.

While Epcot did stay open, lines were extremely long, with waits for Soarin' regularly around 3 hours and lines for many Future World attractions running all the way to the Innoventions breezeways. New Year's Eve saw Soarin' waits of up to 4 hours.

Based on this info. it looks like no parks closed on Dec 24.
Does anyone know if this was the case for 2005 and or 2004 as well?
Thank you

The key word here is "began phased closings". Our group (one adult and two teenage girls, staying on-site with park-hopper passes) never experience any closures from Dec 27 through Jan 1. Only a Phase 4 would have affected us. In fact, on NYE, we left our resort at mid afternoon, with the girls going to MK and I to EPCOT. I watched Illuminations then scooted over to MK by way of monorail for for a SpectroMagic Parade and midnight fireworks. I had no problems enter any of the parks at any time. And if I understand right, NYE is one of the most crowded days at MK.

So morale to the story... stay on site and use parkhoppers, and you should not have a problem making any of your ressies.

The key word here is "began phased closings". Our group (one adult and two teenage girls, staying on-site with park-hopper passes) never experience any closures from Dec 27 through Jan 1. Only a Phase 4 would have affected us. In fact, on NYE, we left our resort at mid afternoon, with the girls going to MK and I to EPCOT. I watched Illuminations then scooted over to MK by way of monorail for for a SpectroMagic Parade and midnight fireworks. I had no problems enter any of the parks at any time. And if I understand right, NYE is one of the most crowded days at MK.

So morale to the story... stay on site and use parkhoppers, and you should not have a problem making any of your ressies.

Hi Gerry,

I just want to clarify what Cheshire Figment said on page one of this thread. here is the quote:

If, for example, you are not staying at a Disney Resort but are using Disney Transportation and already have a ticket (such as changing parks with a hopper) then both Stage 3 and Stage 4 will keep you out.

Or, for example, you are staying at a Disney Resort and take Disney Transportation from one park to another and you do not have a hopper, with a Stage 2 closing you would not be able to upgrade your ticket to a hopper and thus would not be able to get in since all the ticket windows would be closed.

Hi - I'm helping a friend plan their trip next month - - she's staying at the Marriott Grand Vista from 12/21 to 12/28.

I've heard of the parks reaching capacity and not allowing add'tl guests in after mid-morning or so. What's your experience Christmas week? I know MK will be impossible on 12/25 and am actually recommending she go to Universal that day. But what about the rest of the week?

Is it possible to drive from one park to another mid-day, or to take breaks at an off-site hotel? Would she be risking not getting back in? :confused:

Thank you!

I've merged these two threads -- same topic - lots of useful info in this thread for the question at hand :)

Specifically:

You can look back in this thread to the first post and see what happened last year with closings.

There are four stages to closing and staying off-site will generally mean that you are excluded from entering parks in stage 3 or 4.

Driving from park to park can be treacherous mid-day because some parkings lots may be closed to further cars. Returning much later in the day is USUALLY an option but some days (New Years Eve for example) even that is dicey.

Have a read thru this thread and let us know if it doesn't answer your questions!

Knox

Hi - I'm helping a friend plan their trip next month - - she's staying at the Marriott Grand Vista from 12/21 to 12/28.

I've heard of the parks reaching capacity and not allowing add'tl guests in after mid-morning or so. What's your experience Christmas week? I know MK will be impossible on 12/25 and am actually recommending she go to Universal that day. But what about the rest of the week?

Is it possible to drive from one park to another mid-day, or to take breaks at an off-site hotel? Would she be risking not getting back in? :confused:

Thank you!

If I remember correctly, the past few years the 26th has actually been busier than the 25th (although, don't get me wrong - the 25th is PLENTY busy!). Even with historical data, there's no way to accurately predict 100% which days will reach capacity and which won't. Your best bet, if you are staying off property, is to get to a park as early as possible and plan to stay the day. If I'm there at a busy time, I try to schedule a table service lunch to give myself a nice mid-day rest without leaving the park. I personally would not recommend spending the extra money for hopper tickets if you are staying off property Christmas week. There is so much traffic that week, that if you take a break to go back to your off property hotel, you're looking at a substantial portion of your day spent out of the parks. The biggest risk for capacity exists at MK, and the least at Epcot (just because Epcot is so big) so that is something to keep in mind as well.

Im in the process of booking a trip for Christmas 08 :santa: , Weve never been at Christmas time and when DH told me to book it I was so excited then I came across this thread and now im having my doubts about booking it.

Tell me its worth it PLEASE . We will probally go to Seaworld on Christmas day and use tour guide Mike, and we are getting non expiring park hoppers.
It wont be the end of the world if we only do 2 or 3 rides a day. I want to see the decorations in the parks and the resorts and its not possible to go during school.

Wanda

We are staying off property from Dec. 22-29th. I am planing on using Tour Guide Mike's plan as much as possible. How early should we arrive at the park. I was thinking an hour before opening but now I am wondering. :confused3 Also, would I get booed and hissed if I arrived very early to stand in line and my family showed up to join me a little later?

Im in the process of booking a trip for Christmas 08 :santa: , Weve never been at Christmas time and when DH told me to book it I was so excited then I came across this thread and now im having my doubts about booking it.

Tell me its worth it PLEASE . We will probally go to Seaworld on Christmas day and use tour guide Mike, and we are getting non expiring park hoppers.
It wont be the end of the world if we only do 2 or 3 rides a day. I want to see the decorations in the parks and the resorts and its not possible to go during school.

Wanda

Yes it is totally worth it. Go and have a great time.

We are staying off property from Dec. 22-29th. I am planing on using Tour Guide Mike's plan as much as possible. How early should we arrive at the park. I was thinking an hour before opening but now I am wondering. :confused3 Also, would I get booed and hissed if I arrived very early to stand in line and my family showed up to join me a little later?

Check to see what timet he parking lot opens but an hour before opening should be fine. Remember though that the MK opens at 7:00 every morning during Christmas week. Where will the rest of the family be? I hav e seen many families bring a blanket with them and just have a seat while they are waiting in line.

Hi all -

THis is sort of a variation on the theme ... do you Christmas experts have any sense of how parking lot closures affect the resorts? I ask because we're checking in to the WL on 12/31. I'm a little worried that if they close the gates to MK parking, I won't be able to get through to the WL. Are there people there (at the parking gates) that you can show a reservation confirmation to who can let you through?

Also, given the likelihood of MK closing to some portion of guests, would you anticipate that I would have trouble getting from WL to CR for lunch at Chef Mickey's on NYE? I have my ADRs, but I'm wondering if they'll stop any of the internal transportation that gets you close to the MK. Has anybody who stayed out of the parks on NYE or any other really busy day had any experience with moving between resorts?

Thanks for any input...

Hi,

You won't have trouble parking at WL even if the MK is closed.

And you won't have trouble getting from resort to resort. But you could always drive or take a taxi if you feel like the transportation sytem is on overload.

That's very reassuring! Thanks for the reply ... this was the one part I hadn't factored into my planning.

If I was debating between Christmas 2008 (Dec. 19-26) and Spring Break 2009 (probably March 20-28, but maybe March 13-21), which would be the most gruesome for crowds? :rotfl2:

We got away with pulling DD out of school this September, but they changed the rules and now she'd only get a maximum grade of 70 for any work missed. So the days of taking off during the school year on non-vacation days are over. :sad1:

I was able to put up with the weather the last week of Sept. (high 80s/ low to mid-90s) because (A) I am used to it since I'm in Texas, even though I hate it, and (B) there were no crowds and we could walk on rides for the most part. :thumbsup2 Since that is no longer an option and I will never, ever go in the summer, I am limited to Spring Break or Christmas. Thanksgiving is too short for me.

I am willing to trade some crowding for nice cool weather. And it sounds as if post Christmas crowds are worse than pre-Christmas crowds. But has anyone been to both Christmas AND Spring Break? If so, how do they compare?

We went once during Spring Break, but it was a very early one....March 9-17, I think. We pretty much walked on rides until the last day or two, when things got a little more crowded. However, it was still very pleasant. But someone on the school district calendar committee has a bee in their bonnet because they always try to get the last week in March as Spring Break, which puts us in competition with many of the northern schools. Last year, too many people objected and it was moved back a week to the 3rd week of March. So for 2009, it will either be the 3rd or 4th week of March. There is zero chance of an early Spring Break such as th second week of March. (March 9-13.)

So.....Dec. 19-26 or the 4th week of March....perhaps even the 3rd week of March? Pros....Cons?

We get in town Dec 29th in the afternoon. Would like to go to Disney Studios in the evening. Do you think it will be closed due to crowds?Would like to go to Epoct on the 30th. Was this park closed lasy year on the 30th? Would like to leave in the afternoon and back in the evening to see the candlelight. also would like to go to Magic Kingdom on the 31st. What time does the park usually close due to crowds? Is there a hope to leave and come back around 9pm?

We get in town Dec 29th in the afternoon. Would like to go to Disney Studios in the evening. Do you think it will be closed due to crowds?Would like to go to Epoct on the 30th. Was this park closed lasy year on the 30th? Would like to leave in the afternoon and back in the evening to see the candlelight. also would like to go to Magic Kingdom on the 31st. What time does the park usually close due to crowds? Is there a hope to leave and come back around 9pm?

Hi,

There's no way of knowing what will happen this year. My original post was so people could see what happened last year and plan accordingly. Epcot "holds the crowds" better than the other parks becuase of its size. All the closures were listed on my page one post.

There is a chance your plan will work, but there is also a chance it will not. Unfortunately you'll have to look at it as a gamble if you decide to go through with it.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter