for those who fly out of PVD (Providence RI) what airline?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
Flying solo with my 8 year old and last time I did this, I flew southwest. It was a pleasure flying through PVD last time with him and I am equidistant to there or Logan. I see Jet Blue flies direct from there too. What do people prefer and why? We did great on Southwest last time but I used to be a big Jet Blue fan from before kid days. Any other options for nonstop flights only?

Thanks!

I only flew Southwest out of Providence. Always went to Logan for JetBlue due to having more flights available.

If you can fly to your destination on either airline out of Green and the price is about the same, JetBlue wins for me.

I only flew Southwest out of Providence. Always went to Logan for JetBlue due to having more flights available.

If you can fly to your destination on either airline out of Green and the price is about the same, JetBlue wins for me.
I used to fly a lot and LOVED jet blue but have heard that they have recently gone down hill. The southwest flight was just fine. Neither of them have fares open right now for december so will have to see. Doesn't seem like anyone else flies nonstop.

For me, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. I tend to fly JB more often, but I've had great experiences with SW out of PVD.

IMO I would go with what ever airline has the best price and times that work for you. You can even travel one way with SW and the other with JB if one has better prices or times for one leg of the trip. Looking at Flightaware it looks like JB and SW are the only 2 that fly nonstop PVD-MCO. SW has 4 nonstop flights a day and JB with 2 nonstop flights

We fly JB almost exclusively...out of Logan. We live on the Cape so its is actually easier for us to take the bus to Logan than drive to PVD. That said we just had a family trip in October and flew out of PVD since most of the other family members lived closer to PVD. JB plane needed a part and was delayed for 5 hours!!!! They had to drive the part from Boston/Logan to PVD and then fix the plane. If we had been in Boston the problem would have been fixed much easier.Also Logan has way more non-stop options to MCO than PVD on JB. I know that this kind of thing can happen anywhere and on any airline but has happened more than once at PVD (Delta way back when they had nonstops to MCO out of PVD) but I like all the non-stop options Logan/JB gives me and the price is generally very close or less than PVD.

IMO I would go with what ever airline has the best price and times that work for you. You can even travel one way with SW and the other with JB if one has better prices or times for one leg of the trip. Looking at Flightaware it looks like JB and SW are the only 2 that fly nonstop PVD-MCO. SW has 4 nonstop flights a day and JB with 2 nonstop flights

I never thought of pricing the legs separately! Shows you how little I fly nowadays. two septembers ago I paid around $444 for 2 tickets round trip on SW. I'm hoping I can get close to that again for this coming december but it seems like they will each be around $100 more :(

We fly JB almost exclusively...out of Logan. We live on the Cape so its is actually easier for us to take the bus to Logan than drive to PVD. That said we just had a family trip in October and flew out of PVD since most of the other family members lived closer to PVD. JB plane needed a part and was delayed for 5 hours!!!! They had to drive the part from Boston/Logan to PVD and then fix the plane. If we had been in Boston the problem would have been fixed much easier.Also Logan has way more non-stop options to MCO than PVD on JB. I know that this kind of thing can happen anywhere and on any airline but has happened more than once at PVD (Delta way back when they had nonstops to MCO out of PVD) but I like all the non-stop options Logan/JB gives me and the price is generally very close or less than PVD.

I'm coming from the vineyard so from woods hole to logan vs. pvd is just about the same drive and I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the bus after the ferry and carrying all of my luggage on the ferry - I'd rather just drive my car off to my final destination.

Last trip into PVD: Scheduled arrival time was 1:30pm. actual arrival time: 1:12pm. Got off plane and walked to luggage where it was already coming off of the carousel. Grabbed luggage, immediately got on bus to car in remote lot, which is like a 2 minute drive straight to my car. Time I started my car: 1:25pm. I was actually IN my car 5 minutes before the plane was supposed to land. There is no way that is happening at Logan!

We flew from PVD via Jet Blue. I don't fly often and have never flown Southwest but we loved our experience, both with the airport (gosh, I couldn't believe how easy it was from the parking where we had a van literally circling our car waiting for us to appear ready to go and they came right over to pick us up to security where we were the second family in line) and the airline.

It is easier for me to fly out of Logan and fly JB usually about 3 times a year. I have not noticed any decline in service. I like that JB has assigned seats. They do now charge $15 for the first checked bag (each way).

If flying Southwest we go out of Providence as they have direct flights to Orlando. Going JetBlue we usually fly out of Boston as we live closer but wouldn't hesitate to go out of Providence if the price was right. We love that airport, small and hassle-free, so we really prefer it over Logan. But Logan is closer for us so it often wins out.

Both JetBlue and Southwest fly direct non-stop from PVD to MCO. IMO I prefer JetBlue any day over Southwest.

When we lived in RI we always flew Southwest out of TF Green. We LOVE that airport-so easy in and out and never traffic. I don't think I have ever been in an easier airport-Dh agrees and he flies all over the country every other week for business. In fact, we have been living in CT for 5 years now and we still sometimes fly from PVD rather than Bradley in Hartford even though it is a little longer ride because the Southwest schedules tend to suit us more out of PVD.

JetBlue,even if it's a little more expensive. I like having a seat assignment and the entertainment is much better.

We are also right in between Providence and Logan (probably neighbors to you OP). For Southwest, PVD to Orlando has always been cheaper and has better/more non-stops. I always check JBlue and SW and both airports. Whatever comes up cheapest is what I go with, also now taking into account that JBlue charges for bags. I see one person said $15 but we just used it recently and it was $20 per bag per leg of flight to pre-pay ($25 at airport). I have also done one leg SW one leg JBlue in and out of PVD. Travelling in the winter months, I will always go SW if possible. Worked out well last year as we were able to change flights (free) and fly out ahead of one of our many blizzards before other airlines offered "free" changes! We have never had a problem with either airline. Providence beats Logan any day just traffic wise getting in and out, though!

Flying solo with my 8 year old and last time I did this, I flew southwest. It was a pleasure flying through PVD last time with him and I am equidistant to there or Logan. I see Jet Blue flies direct from there too. What do people prefer and why? We did great on Southwest last time but I used to be a big Jet Blue fan from before kid days. Any other options for nonstop flights only?

Thanks!

We just flew in and out of PVD on SW with no issues. We took the 11:50am nonstop to MCO and arrived 30 min early. Our 1:45pm nonstop flight back to PVD 5 days later arrived 10 min early. We were lucky with the weather, which of course helped tremendously, but the efficiency of their operation also helped. We've never taken JB (DH flies SW for work trips and we booked with RR points) so I can't offer a comparison. Next trip, I will check JB prices but it would be hard to beat SW if we have RR points again.

We fly PVD-MCO every 6 weeks or so. We fly SWA. 2 Free Bags each makes up for the cattle call process. It's a quick flight and we watch TV for free since most planes on that direct flight are WIFI
Just a side note about JetBlue out of PVD. Caution!!! They only have the couple of flights a day. In August, beautiful sunny day I had to book my son on JB because SWA had a price increase and he was a late addition to an event we were attending in WDW the day we were flying. JetBlue cancelled the morning of the flight and booked him for a flight the next day! What a disaster He would miss the event. They said they have no air-partners they could have moved him to for another flight or I could drive him to Logan. Hello....I was flying to MCO at same time.
Bottom line. SWA came thru for us. Got him on my flight. JetBlue never reimbursed us for the hundreds of $$$$ loss. I will never use them again. Worst customer service ever. I was so disappointed. Flying 20 years back and forth. Worst flight debacle ever.

our experience with southwest was phenomenal when we few out of PVD. It literally could not have been easier to fly out of that airport on southwest so I am inclined to stick with it. Good point about fewer flights on jet blue and also the free bags. the cattle call thing didn't bother me one bit, it always feels like a cattle call even when I have assigned seating.

I compare JB and SW out of PVD when planning. The last two trips I got $99 each way with Southwest. Though it was more than $99 because I added Earlybird it was still cheaper than JetBlue and that two free bags really saved us this last time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter