For those who don't go to the parks right when they open--UPDATE pg 2

jennypenny

DIS Veteran
We have been going to WDW for years. We do the typical vacation--parks at opening, swim/lunch break, dinner and fireworks in the evening. We are heading down Aug 15 for our regular August trip and I don't think we can do the same type of vacation and I'm looking for guidance.

We've had a long few months. And now my DS6 (who has some serious health issues) is having a bad summer and he's very weak. He's been sleeping until 10 or 11. I can't see waking him up at 7 or 8 every morning and dragging him to a hot park to walk around.

So, if you sleep in on vacation, how do you do it? Do you really head to a park around noon? Or do you swim and only do parks at night?? We don't do many roller coasters but we do like soarin, TSM, and test track. All of the guides say to be at the parks at opening. None give any advice if you don't plan on doing that. What should we do? Is it really hopeless if you sleep in? We don't need to do everything but we'd like to hit all the parks for a few rides.

Any advice?? I don't want to cancel, but I can't risk letting him get run down.

We NEVER hit park opening. We sleep in everyday of our trips and have seen everything!!

However, I will add to that, we have gone in October, November and December. With that being said, we have not felt the need to be at the resort for swimming in the afternoon, because we have not had the Florida heat. I don't know how the heat is in August. We take full advantage of evening EMHs and fast passes.

Do not know the medical condition but it sounds like you might qualify to get one of the Disney special needs passes. You pick it up at one of the parks (such as at Town Hall at MK) and it is good for the entire trip for the special needs person and his family and essentially acts as a fastpass to everything for the family. You do not need to be in a wheelchair to get one, just have a recognized disability or a medical condition that affects strength or mobility (bring a Doctor's note if need be). That could make going to the parks in the afternoon to early evening bearable despite the heat.

We were there July 3-11. Except for the day we left, we never got up before 8:30. That put us at the parks around 10:00-10:30 after showers, breakfast, goofing off, and the bus ride. We never felt the need to rush ourselves- that just stresses you out and isn't any fun.
If you don't get going until noon, then you just don't. If he needs to sleep in- let him. You certainly don't want to push it and have him get sick while you're there- missing WDW all day every day would be much worse than just missing a few hours!

I'm with the others. We NEVER hit park opening. Most times I take my 80+ yo parents (at least for the time being). We get there when we get there...usually around 10. We take an afternoon break and nap. We see what we can and enjoy it. We haven't done commando style for 10 years. We don't even swim anymore. Then late afternoon, we MIGHT do something. We have dinner at TS, and find a place to watch fireworks, but NOT in a park. What enjoyment is there, if you're "killing" someone in the process?

Don't feel bad if he needs to use a wheelchair. We used an ECV when my DH had a broken ankle in '00. That was the year we learned NOT to do commando.

Enjoy the parks at your leisure!

When we go in August it is so darn hot that we stopped going to the parks until late afternoon many days. We look for the parks that have EMH at night & stay as late as we can. MK is open till 2am some nights & we always manage to ride our favorites. We will try for park opening for DHS, simply because we want to do TSM & those fastpasses run out early since it's still so new. One of you could always leave DS sleeping & go to the park & get some fastpasses & then head back later when he is rested. Just a thought, but if that's too much of a pain, I would just let DS rest & do what you can do. Good luck! :hug:

One of you could always leave DS sleeping & go to the park & get some fastpasses & then head back later when he is rested.

I don't think that will work. I think each person needs to enter the park to activate the ticket in order to get the fast pass. :confused3

We've considered getting a GAC card, but he doesn't like special treatment. And we used to get the big plastic double stroller but they've changed styles--he refuses to get a wheelchair. I don't argue with him either--his spunk gets him through trying times.

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess we'll defy all of the advice and sleep late and get to the parks when we feel like it. I feel like such a rebel!!

I agree that you can't get a fast pass for a person who isn't in the park. I always carry all of our tickets and without thinking one day I tried to get a FP for my daughter who stayed back at the hotel to finish getting ready. The fast pass machine recognized that she was not yet in the park and would not distribute a FP for her.

We have been to the parks in June, July, and August, and never get to the parks early--usually 10:30 or 11:00. Upon arrival, we immediately get fast passes for the most popular rides. On really busy days, the Fast Pass distribution times may be several hours away. (We had trouble at the end of June/early July getting fast passes for Toy Story Mania unless we obtained fast passes by late morning). If you get fast passes for a ride that can't be used within a several hours at the Studios, you could hop on a boat and go to Epcot, obtain a Fast Pass there for Test Track or Soarin' (sometimes difficult to get after early afternoon), see some of the indoor exhibits, eat lunch, etc. and return to the Studios later in time for your fast pass. If you think this might be too exhausting, you could eat a late lunch in one of the sit down restaurants in the park to get out of the heat or go back to the hotel for a rest/swim. The evening hours are much more pleasant.

There are itineraries and suggestions for those who arrive at the parks late or who do not want to visit the parks commando style in the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and on their sister website Touring Plans.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess we'll defy all of the advice and sleep late and get to the parks when we feel like it. I feel like such a rebel!!

Once you tour this way you'll (probably) never go back to your old way of touring!!!! :goodvibes

jennypenny,

Do the vacation as it happens. You may be aware, but for those that don't, Disney parks have great First Aid stations you can use for just about any medical condition needs. We have used the First Aid station to allow my daughter a break from the humidity and to do aerosol treatments. We leave the equipment and meds at the station, do Disney stuff, then return at the appropriate times.

There is more Pixy dust at the first aid station than most other Disney location. They are staffed well and understand the need for such a place to be sure our special ones have their special needs more than met!

Thanks Walt & Staff!! :wizard:

No advice, I just want to wish you and your family a really great and special trip to WDW. :wizard:

I don't think that will work. I think each person needs to enter the park to activate the ticket in order to get the fast pass. :confused3

Oh right I didn't even think of that. Doh! :blush:

OP I know your DS does not want special treatment, but in some cases like trying to ride TSM, it doesn't hurt to mention your circumstances & see if there isn't something the CMs can do such as getting you some fastpasses. CMs are usually very accomodating for people that require extra assistance & it's obvious you clearly do. However, like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you will be surprised at how much you can get done even arriving much later in the day.

Add me to the list of rebels - I absolutely never ever wake at Disney before 9:30am, and spend the first hour or two of my day having coffee, reading a book, watching news, getting ready, hanging on the balcony at the room, etc. My normal park arrival is around 12-1pm. I go all times of the year, about 5-6 trips a year. Was there over the past year in Jun 09, Jan 09, Dec 08, Sep 08, Jul 08, and will be there again this September. I've not had any problems at any times a year, through heavy crowded parks or near empty parks in going on any ride I wanted to go on, and usually eat where I want too, despite no ADRs and no dining plans.

The trick for me is that I am flexible and patient - no rush, no gotta-do-it, no schedule to adhere to...if a ride has a long line now, try again later and it may not. If I wanted dinner at Mexico and it's all booked tonight, grab a table at Jiko tonight and do Mexico tomorrow. A little flexibility goes a long way. Of course, it helps that I'm up there so often - sure, I've gone to Disney and skipped Soarin the whole trip...because I know I can go again in a few months. So I stick that one caveat in there. But with use of fast passes, and some ADRs, I think you can get by fine without rope drops and AM schedules!

As a reformed rope-dropper I can tell you that arriving around 11 am seemed to work for us this last trip. My DD also has a health condition and needs her rest so lots of rope-dropping is a thing of the past for us. We would arrive around 11, leave at 3ish for a break/swim, and return at night. This was in May and it worked out well. :thumbsup2

I have a son with ADHD and he is not good with waiting, so we avoid long lines like the plague. This past March, we were typically at the bus stop by 9:15-9:30-ish. Luckily, the bus stop was right outside of our building, so we didn't feel like we rushed to get there. We stayed at the parks until around 1pm and then we went back to the villa to swim. I thought we would have gone back to the parks in the evening, but my son preferred to stay "home". It was a great vacation. No pressure -- we knew we would be back.

Also, last year we took my mother, who rented an ECV. My dad went to Guest Services at each park and got a pass for our entire family that allowed us to always use the fast pass line. It was great because my mother was able to enjoy the attractions with all of us and she didn't have to deal with the waiting in the heat. It was a blessing for us. Your son may reconsider doing the same. It'll allow you to do so much more in less time. It's pretty hot in June. He may reconsider when he gets there. Take the doctor's note ready just in case. :)

I wish you the best with the challenges that your son is facing. I hope that you are able to have an enjoyable vacation.

We don't intentionally sleep in, but we don't rush to get up and out. We normally hit the road about 10:30 11 am and roll on out. If it's not busy we usually just jump on the first bus to roll in and head out for the day.

We always have an AP and just hop to where we are having our late lunch/early dinner if we aren't at that particular park already.

Now this year we are going for Christmas and I think out laid back plan is going to be altered drastically.

We've considered getting a GAC card, but he doesn't like special treatment. And we used to get the big plastic double stroller but they've changed styles--he refuses to get a wheelchair. I don't argue with him either--his spunk gets him through trying times.

If you want more information about Guest Assistance Cards (GACs), you can follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread and look in post #6.
The cards have printed right on them that they are not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line and suggest using the Fastpass system if you want to shorten your wait. (So, don't count on using Fastpass lines without a Fastpass).

As far as tiredness, keep in mind that using a GAC will usually not shorten the distance that you walk. So, if he has problems with walking or tiredness, a stroller would still be a good option. You can rent special needs strollers, which would be more comfortable for a 6 year old.
WDWs answer for adults with concerns about mobility or stamina needs is to suggest a wheelchair or an ECV; for a child, it would be a stroller and possibly the ability to use the stroller in line with a GAC or a sticker that allows a stroller to be treated like a wheelchair.
And, that does make sense when you think that a GAC would only be useful in lines, but you would still have to contend with all the walking involved in getting from place to place.

I would agree with those who have suggested looking at touring plans that start later in the day. Many of the parks are busy mid day, but have much smaller crowds later in the day (especially if you go late in the day to a park that had morning EMHs).

I've never been to a Disney park at opening. Heck, I never even know what time they open, because it's simply not an issue for me. We sleep until we wake -- anywhere from 8 to 9:30, depending on the day, get ourselves together at a leisurely pace, eat breakfast and head to the parks. No regrets here, I don't recall ever feeling as if I've missed out on something.

I've never been to a Disney park at opening. Heck, I never even know what time they open, because it's simply not an issue for me. We sleep until we wake -- anywhere from 8 to 9:30, depending on the day, get ourselves together at a leisurely pace, eat breakfast and head to the parks. No regrets here, I don't recall ever feeling as if I've missed out on something.

I'm with you, the only time in my life I've seen a rope drop was my first trip to Disneyland when I was six. That being said, I told my wife in our upcoming October trip that we were going to try to hit park opening (which is more of a challenge for us west coasters coming east). We'll see how much success I have getting my kids acclimated to east coast time and pushed into the parks for rope drop. But our only reason for trying this is to open up the afternoon for more resort exploring/swimming. If you are enjoying the resorts in the morning and heading to the parks in the afternoon, it really works out the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter